Dumb idea of the day..... Trailfire engine swap?

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
idMXLT

Dumb idea of the day..... Trailfire engine swap?

Post by idMXLT »

A friend of mine gave me a lead on a Trailfire sitting out next to a shed. The sled is mostly there and I can get it for next to nothing. Problem is the engine was pulled and lost at some point, and the owner has no idea on its whereabouts.

So I got to thinking..... I have a 340 Kioritz Liquifire engine gathering dust........ and could snag some of those footrail mounted Polaris heat exchangers pretty easily.......

Anybody ever put a Kioritz engine in a Fire series sled before? :bonk:
1980 Liquifire
1983 Trailfire LX

Others
67 Olympique
72 Elan single
72 Elan 340 TNT Swap
74 Elan Twin
78 Elan Deluxe
87 Phazer Deluxe
89 Formula MXLT
WinnipegStPaul9

Re: Dumb idea of the day..... Trailfire engine swap?

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

idMXLT wrote:Anybody ever put a Kioritz engine in a Fire series sled before? :bonk:
You mean on purpose??? I really doubt it.

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
WinnipegStPaul9

I have a 440 Trailfire engine if you're interested. Heck, you can have the whole sled for $300.00.

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
smitfire

Post by smitfire »

Don't do it, if you want a trailfire get a trailfire, you want a liquifire get a liquifire not worth the hassle and no one will want to buy it if you want to sell it. John Deere sleds are what they are, your not going to make a super fast sled or sleeper no matter what you do to them.
Many new and used parts available, I ship anywhere. Thanks everyone.
WinnipegStPaul9

Wish there was a "Like" button for Dustin's comment. I'd hit it like a thousand times!!

DA
TASKY

Post by TASKY »

smitfire wrote:Don't do it, if you want a trailfire get a trailfire, you want a liquifire get a liquifire not worth the hassle and no one will want to buy it if you want to sell it. John Deere sleds are what they are, your not going to make a super fast sled or sleeper no matter what you do to them.

AMEN!!!
idMXLT

Post by idMXLT »

smitfire wrote:Don't do it, if you want a trailfire get a trailfire, you want a liquifire get a liquifire not worth the hassle and no one will want to buy it if you want to sell it. John Deere sleds are what they are, your not going to make a super fast sled or sleeper no matter what you do to them.

I get the feeling my point was missed. I have a nice Trailfire LX and a Liquifire, great sleds! I have no intentions of making this ratty old Trailfire super fast or putting a long travel skid under it or any other of the usual dopey schemes. I'm really just trying to justify saving it with the parts I have on hand. I don't have a spare Trailfire engine laying around.
1980 Liquifire
1983 Trailfire LX

Others
67 Olympique
72 Elan single
72 Elan 340 TNT Swap
74 Elan Twin
78 Elan Deluxe
87 Phazer Deluxe
89 Formula MXLT
Matt

Post by Matt »

It would be a lot of work to make it happen. Custom mounting plate, custom coolant hoses. Pretty sure that Kioritz engine is much taller, probably won't fit under the hood. Worth all the trouble just because the stuff is laying around to do it?
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
smitfire

Post by smitfire »

Someday the right motor will fall into your lap..
smitfire

Post by smitfire »

This isn't towards you or anything, just a general saying but have you ever heard of a KISS?! Keep it simple stupid
TASKY

Post by TASKY »

Its hard enough to put a sled together right. Putting one together wrong requires a certain level of discipline that few of us have attained. I.E. Wanie's Liquifire so wrong but oh so right. There is so much junk out there from people with a better idea spending a dollar to save a dime. Sell the 340 Liquid Kioritz and get the right motor. Buy a Trailfire with the right motor. You would be time and money ahead. A wise man once said I cant afford a free sled. Now that I got that out I am ready for todays dumb idea.
kwc

Post by kwc »

[quote=John Deere sleds are what they are, your not going to make a super fast sled or sleeper no matter what you do to them.[/quote]

Sorry Dustin, I would have to disagree with you on this one. Deere sleds can be made to go fast with a big enough engine. :sled:
Kevin Campbell
Vicksburg, Michigan
WinnipegStPaul9

kwc wrote:
John Deere sleds are what they are, your not going to make a super fast sled or sleeper no matter what you do to them.[/quote wrote:
Sorry Dustin, I would have to disagree with you on this one. Deere sleds can be made to go fast with a big enough engine. :sled:
Oh yeah, I can vouch for that!

DA
PolCat

Post by PolCat »

It's your sleds do what you want to do with them. Busted up tunnel 76 Liquifire 440 meets busted up
belly pan no hood or motor 97 MXZ
"There's No Iron Like Old Iron"
JDXspec

Post by JDXspec »

This has been done before, its even posted on Matt's Page.

http://www.jdsleds.com/restorations/tra ... resto.html

I actually would like to try putting a early LF eng in a later LF or Sportfire and add oil injection to just for fun. Maybe do some mods to the eng for fun too. Its all what you want to do, some may not completely agree but its your sled.
Own 74 295/s, 75 340/S, 800, 76 440 Liquifire, 300, Liquidator (3), 78 440 Liquifire, 340 Liquifire CC, 80 Liquifire, 82 Trailfire LX, 83 Sprintfire 84 Sportfire