Ron Leonard - Engineering Manager Horicon Works Passed Away

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
540fan

Ron Leonard - Engineering Manager Horicon Works Passed Away

Post by 540fan »

Not too many people may have known my father Ron Leonard who managed the Engineering Department at JD Horicon works from 1973 to 1986. He is also the author of the JD Snowmobiles book that came out a few years back. He worked for John Deere from 1956 to 1997 starting as a design engineer on cotton harvesting equipment in the Des Moines Plant, then to Horicon, and finally in Waterloo retiring as the Worldwide Director of Agricultural Engineering.

The snowmobile program was always an hill battle within the Deere corporate culture as they didn't see themselves as a consumer driven company. He told me that the biggest benefit from the snowmobile program that it thought them the need to respond to customer needs, feedback, and changing markets. What a lesson and if you all are interested, read his book. A bit off topic is that there was another book in the works regarding the 7000 and 8000 tractor programs and some of its roots go back to the snowmobile days. We have someone that had first hand involvement that has agreed to finish the book and it may be a year or two before it's out.

I have a number of dad's personal documents and some easter eggs that I'll post from time to time. There is a great letter from Robert J Carlson (Jon's dad) that you may find of some interest.

Continue to enjoy the sleds and those who influenced them are passing so keep the sleds running.

Dan Leonard
400brian

Re: Ron Leonard - Engineering Manager Horicon Works Passed Away

Post by 400brian »

Awesome, looking forward to this!

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
sledz

Post by sledz »

Yes, keep the info coming please!
tieszo6

Post by tieszo6 »

Sorry for your loss Dan. I had the chance to meet Ron a few years back when he returned to Waterloo and gave a presentation about his involvement in the snowmobile program. It occurred to me too late that I should have taken my copy of his book along and had him sign it.

Mark
Matt

Post by Matt »

Very sorry for your loss Dan.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator