1983 Trailfire 440 oil pump drive key

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
dspete05

1983 Trailfire 440 oil pump drive key

Post by dspete05 »

A few years ago, I purchased a 1983 Trailfire LX 440 and at that time it was missing the oil pump tank and the oil lines had been cut off, but the pump was still on the recoil cover. So, this year I decided to get everything hooked up and working. A friend of mine gave me an oil tank with the fitting and the hold down spring. I took the oil pump off to inspect it and noticed the drive key was twisted off. I also noticed I couldn't turn the shaft on the pump, so I disassembled, cleaned and lubed everything and reassembled it. I know it had a pressed steel spring drive key, but I was wondering if I could use a piece of solid steel key stock cut to the proper length or would I be taking a chance of doing some damage elsewhere? I've read every thread I could find about this subject, and it seems as if everyone suggested to just eliminate the oil injection system and just premix it. Which I have been doing for the past few years. I just thought it would be nice to have the oil injection system working. I can't find a factory drive key anywhere and thought a piece of solid steel key stock would work. If anyone has any experience with this or has a reason why it wouldn't work, please let me know. Thank you.
Matt

Re: 1983 Trailfire 440 oil pump drive key

Post by Matt »

No one on this site recommends removing oil injection.

I think the steel stock would twist right apart from vibration, that's why they used the spring key. I have one for you. Be sure to test your oil pump first - feed some oil to it, and run it with a drill. You should get basically a drip of oil from each outlet alternating sides when spinning it.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
dspete05

Post by dspete05 »

Okay, I'll check the pump and then contact you if it checks out like you described. I know you said you have a drive key for me, but I checked every place I could think of online and couldn't find one. I was wondering for future reference, other than yourself, where I could find these oil pump drive keys. Thank you for the response.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I don't know a source - I just have a an NOS Kawasaki one laying around.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
dspete05

Post by dspete05 »

I sent you a PM.
tieszo6

Post by tieszo6 »

They are available from Hinckley Motorsports on eBay right now. Search M69209. EBay number 154605323859.

Mark
dspete05

Post by dspete05 »

I'll check that out, thank you!!