No power to lights and tach

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
bubsy

Post by bubsy »

I have no lights but my brake light works. My kill switch is not in the best of shape and when you use it to shut the sled off the lights come on for a split second before the machine dies. Would a faulty switch cause the lights to not work? I tried unpluging the kill switch and the lights still wont work? I have checked connections and things seem fine. Any help would be great.
harleysportster

Post by harleysportster »

You need to tell us which sled you have.
'76 440 cyclone
'76 440 liquifire
'78 440 Cyclone
'75 JDX8 (sold to a member here)
'78 Liquifire(CrossCountry Clone)
'80 Liquifire(sold)
bubsy

Post by bubsy »

84 sportfire
johndeere96

Post by johndeere96 »

Hi There
I just read your post... This might help. Have a look at the yellow dc lead from the power plant to the harness. The schematic shows that it provides current/voltage to the headlights and tachometer. I had this same trouble with a 80 LQF and found that the spade connector had failed from current stress. A quick clean strip and re-solder solved it. Be cautious removing the female from the harness connector.
Heat shrink the freshly soldered connection to make it secure before re-inserting it into the connector.

Dave or JohnDeere96
Mr. Deere

Post by Mr. Deere »

Yes also check to make sure the blade didnt fall out of the plug. This happened to me then I had to push it back into the plastic plug. BOB
BOB From MASS
OWN: 1 1983 JOHN DEERE LIQUIFIRE 440
1 1973 JOHN DEERE JDX8 440
1 1982 JOHN DEERE SPORTFIRE 440
1 2000 SKIDOO MXZ 600
GOTTA LOVE THAT TWO STROKE SMELL
MARK

Post by MARK »

Have you checked the headlight to see if it is good?? same with the dash bulbs maybe they are burnt out???
bubsy

Post by bubsy »

well i have done some checking and took the wires out of both plugs. The lights still come on for a second before the engine dies. I checked with a test light and there is power going through the main power wire at the plug when i kill the engine. But thats the only time. Would a bad spade connector cause this? Or is it something in the wiring wrong? Or would a bad ground be it? The only place that is taped up is the grond at the regulator, all the other wireing is origanal and wraped up.
Mr. Deere

Post by Mr. Deere »

What about a bad Lighting coil. Although that wouldn't make any sense. BOB
BOB From MASS
OWN: 1 1983 JOHN DEERE LIQUIFIRE 440
1 1973 JOHN DEERE JDX8 440
1 1982 JOHN DEERE SPORTFIRE 440
1 2000 SKIDOO MXZ 600
GOTTA LOVE THAT TWO STROKE SMELL