440/5 help!!!

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kioritz/CCW & Kohler motors.
redneckchicken

440/5 help!!!

Post by redneckchicken »

alright im beyond confused and need some help alright just got done replacing the points on my x8 with a 440/5 engine now i had spark on both cylinders and after going in and doudle checking the gapping on my points im down to 1 cylinder and heres the kicker i only adjusted one point and thats the one i have spark on now both of my coils seem to work. i plugged each into the #2 wire coming off the stator and they worked but neither would work on #1 wire. so i took a test light plugged it into the #2 wire and it lit up and then i plugged it into the #1 wire and it lit up. I checked the resisitance of the internal igniton coils according to the tech manual and they were the same. So thats the story someone please tell me whats wrong
HoosierDeereMan

440/5 help!!!

Post by HoosierDeereMan »

I had the same thing happen a long time ago on a KEC 340. I bought new points and condersers and installed them on the stator plate. I set timing and set the point gap. When I was done I didn't have any spark on one cylinder. My coils tested good. What happened was that the replacement points on the one set were just a little different than what I had originally. I didn't notice this when I instaled them. I'm trying to remember but I think that the screw the wire went under with the points adjusted properly was touching something on the stator plate and shorting them out. I got the wrong set of points for that side! When I compared the the new to the old there was a difference. I had to order another set of points.

Another thing you might do is recheck your gap. Sometimes when tightening the screws the points can move and you don't know it. Maybe they moved and aren't even opening. Another possibilty might be that the plug wire has come loose at the coil. The plug wire screws into the coil. I have seen them come loose and jump spark until is burns the wire or the screw.
'72 400
'73 400, (2)500's, 600
'74 295/S (restored) 2010 HOF poker run survivor.
'75 800, JDX8,
'75 340/S 2011 & 2012 Vintage Challenge finisher.
'76 (2)400's
'78 Liquifire 340,440
'79 Spitfire
"If it has Tits, Tires, or Tracks it's gonna cost you money!"
redneckchicken

440/5 help!!!

Post by redneckchicken »

alright so i pulled the stator off and checked to see if anything was grounded out i tested the ignition generating coils for resistance and got 2.1 ohms and both the #1 and #2 coils now the book says they should be 1.59 ohms + or - 10% but i think my meter may be wrong because i my #2 has spark so anyone else got any ideas and recheched my gap and it .014 inches on both sides
JDT

440/5 help!!!

Post by JDT »

Maybe a bad condenser (internal short), shorted condensor connection(sloppy solder job on the tab) or shorted wire between the condensor and the points.

Disconnect both condensor wires and both point wires and test each componet out of curcuit with your ohm meter. You will find something shorted to ground somewhere.
It may even be a wire that was moved too close to the center and the insulation wore through and is shorting out that side.

Todd
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
JDT

440/5 help!!!

Post by JDT »

One thing I forgot....
Did you account for all the insulating washers on the points when you installed the new ones?
Todd
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
redneckchicken

440/5 help!!!

Post by redneckchicken »

alright after a closer inspection i noticed that #1 coil was scored looks like with maybe a screwdriver blade. so at first i thought this might be it, but then wouldnt that of messed up the resistance?
400brian

440/5 help!!!

Post by 400brian »

Didn't you find that if you switched the wires to the coils, that the problem followed? Or am I misunderstanding what you posted?

If the problem follows, the issue is under the flywheel.

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
redneckchicken

440/5 help!!!

Post by redneckchicken »

yes the coil im speaking about is the #1 excitation coil internal.
flacker36

440/5 help!!!

Post by flacker36 »

Ok - you had spark on both cylinders. You then put new points on & only get spark on #2. I would start with #1 set of points. Maybe the plastic insulator is cracked creating a short. Check the wire harness that goes out of the engine for bare wires & such. My light coil has a mark such as speak of on it & it works fine.

Joe
redneckchicken

440/5 help!!!

Post by redneckchicken »

yes and no i put the new points in had spark on both cylinders then i was having a hard time starting the sled after i rebuilt the carb so i checked the plugs and only had spark on the #2 cylinder.