What is this?

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
400brian

What is this?

Post by 400brian »

Can anyone identify this engine?

ebay engine

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
ICCSF 108

What is this?

Post by ICCSF 108 »

At first glance it looks like a Kawasaki 440 4/6 LTD motor, But I don't think it is, as I don't think the sides of the cylinders extrude out like they should to be a 4/6 ???? So I think it is a 440 JD or Kawi motor with the 4/6 heads..

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
Spitfireguy

What is this?

Post by Spitfireguy »

yepp id hafta say 82 and up liquifire engine with electric start. well it could be there but isnt. also with ltd heads. never under stood the dual plug system? but it couldnt of worked the greatest considering you dont see it in any engines today.
JoeRainville

What is this?

Post by JoeRainville »

Hi Guys,

The flywheel cover looks 83-82, and the heads deffinately look like 1980 Kawi 4/6 like you guys said. The exhaust manifold looks like 1980 Kawi LTD 4/6, as it had dual pipes I belive.

Kenny is right, the jugs look like regular LF or Invader, no side bulge for the 6 transfer port intake.

Dual plugs did make a comback however. The new Cat 800 and 1,000 cc twins use quad plugs for better emissions and such.

-Rainville

UPDATE: Rats, I hate being wrong, they are in fact 4/6 jugs, so like they said below, it's probably a 1980 4/6 motor with a Deere clutch. I couldn't see the bulge of the extra intake ports on the earlier photos. Thanks to 440 Invader for straightening us out!
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
Mr. Deere

What is this?

Post by Mr. Deere »

Whats up with the exhaust bracket. Someone cut the Y pipe off. BOB
BOB From MASS
OWN: 1 1983 JOHN DEERE LIQUIFIRE 440
1 1973 JOHN DEERE JDX8 440
1 1982 JOHN DEERE SPORTFIRE 440
1 2000 SKIDOO MXZ 600
GOTTA LOVE THAT TWO STROKE SMELL
ICCSF 108

What is this?

Post by ICCSF 108 »

some Kawi's had twin pipes..

Kenny
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
440 invader

What is this?

Post by 440 invader »

It is a Kawi 4/6, If you look at the intake side you can see the runners for the extra ports, and that bellhousing/flywheel cover would also be for a 4/6,because that is where the dual coils get mounted. Proably just got a Deere 102,because the Comet clutch is easier to get parts for.
tieszo6

What is this?

Post by tieszo6 »

Are parts still available for the 4/6 or are they more of a conversation piece? I don't know much about them, any performance advantage over the TC's? Could the 80 Liq engine mounts be bolted on the ends for a transplant or would this not work?

Mark
440 invader

What is this?

Post by 440 invader »

The engine isn't to bad to rebuild,the bottom end is pretty much the same as a 440 Invader/Liquifire. The cylinders and heads are different,Because of extra porting,but you can use Invader/Liquifire pistons. The pin in the ring groove is in a different place but it clears all the ports on the inside. Gasket kits and seals can also be interchanged between the two. This engine used twin pipes to take full advantage of the extra porting,so carb jetting was different than the Invader/Liquifire. If you got it tuned real good it'll go like mad !!!!
440 invader

What is this?

Post by 440 invader »

Almost forgot to add that the mounting is the same as a Liquifire/Invader.
ICCSF 108

What is this?

Post by ICCSF 108 »

How do you guys expect me to get it if you keep talking about it??

Kenny
tieszo6

What is this?

Post by tieszo6 »

What about ignition components? I imagine these would be getting scarce? Don't worry Kenny I won't start a bidding war with you, just wanted some information for "future project ideas" in case i stumble across one.

Mark

I was looking at some Interceptor pics and they just use two coils, I assume the 4/6 uses the same approach, so coils wouldn't be bad to get. What about the CDI, any difference between that and one intended for a 2 plug motor?

Mark
ICCSF 108

What is this?

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Mark, LOL, not to worry, just yank'n your chain...

Kenny
tieszo6

What is this?

Post by tieszo6 »

ok I edited my previous post, I guess that doesn't update the activity.

I was looking at some Interceptor pics and they just use two coils, I assume the 4/6 uses the same approach, so coils wouldn't be bad to get. What about the CDI, any difference between that and one intended for a 2 plug motor?

Mark
That Girl Racing

What is this?

Post by That Girl Racing »

Ignition is the same as the early 70's Kawasaki twin plug Cat motors. Easy to find.