scrap metal prices

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
jereeich

scrap metal prices

Post by jereeich »

Anybody else notice the money people are getting for there scrap metal? This May be a good option to reduce the number of scrap sleds out back and make a little coin besides.
Spitfireguy

scrap metal prices

Post by Spitfireguy »

yep our school dosnt get anything donated from our mill or any stores any more because every one is buying it. it sucks.
malone

scrap metal prices

Post by malone »

Yeah I just scrapped a dump trailer load to the local scrap yard and got $275 per ton of prepaired scrap iron.
JDFanPa

scrap metal prices

Post by JDFanPa »

I love the prices I hoard all the scrap waterpumps etc made of aluminum at work. Ive got a guy who melts everything down and makes bars of alom he pays quite well for dirty aluminum. Ive got a few trucks I plan on cutting up aswell.

Heres an intresting story I drive past a scrap yard everyday going to work. One morning in my car with my 1 yr old strapped in her car seat I see a truck pull in with a pretty nice looking skiroule in the back about a 1971. I so wanted to get the guy before he junked it but couldnt do much with a car and a baby in the back. I can only imagine the priceless sleds that have been junked over the years. I do have 1 guy with a small junkyard who gives me a call anytime he hauls a sled in but have only scored 1 very rough deere off him.
sdtruck

scrap metal prices

Post by sdtruck »

took in 40 old semi brake drums. 4059 lbs got 975.00.
deeredr

scrap metal prices

Post by deeredr »

This is an interesting thread as it's something I'm wrestling with myself.

We're cleaning up the yard at the dealership. After 30 years....well you can imagine.

Scrap prices being what they are, if we pull a few good saleable parts of a vintage tractor then between those parts and the scrap price it's the same as selling the tractor. It's hard to believe.

As I'm an avid fan of all things old, it's very hard for me to bring myself around to this way of thinking. Several semi loads of vintage plows and discs and misc has already been shipped out.

Tractors may be next. I'm trying to find homes for some of them but again scrap price has to be matched. With fuel costs being what they are I think I know how this will turn out.

I never dreamed that this might be how it ended. Strange times indeed.

Greg
john-deere-340

scrap metal prices

Post by john-deere-340 »

I just recently took a load of scrap metal to our local guy here in Manitoba Canada and when i went out behind the pile i came across 3 John Deere Sleds. One was a 1976 John Deere Cyclone.. Engine turns over. 1980 John Deere Spitfire it even runs and finally cant leave this one out 1976? John Deere Liquifire but is seized. I scored to all of the sleds for $350. He even loaded them on my flatdeck. I couldnt go wrong on this offer... I took them home and poured some deisel and kerosene mix into the liquifire and left it overnight. and It fired up with a little starter fluid. They all run but need lots of work the liquifre is the one im peeling into first. Keep your eyes open theres stuff like that all over the place especially up here in Manitoba.
blitzblack

scrap metal prices

Post by blitzblack »

I have found that with scrap this high it is a great way to add to our collection.so far I have gotten an X4,X6 and X8,running trailfire and a running suzuki 292.My wife says that it is not a good thing that I work across the street from the junk yard but hey, it works for me. I passed up on a running Chapparall and other asst. artic cats. gotta draw the line somewhere.
A1 SLEDER JIM

scrap metal prices

Post by A1 SLEDER JIM »

Hi,
The scap yard at my town has sleds and lawn tractors. Friday morning I cleared behind the barn a little and got 385.50 small trailer of steel. Went up to the sledyard and some one just droped off a invader 340 and 440. I come prepared strip them down engines and all then someone came in with a John Deere LT with a kawi engine got all from that one including carb starter and coil. $90.00 bucks for all.
What a nice day. I put the high compression heads on one of my Liqufires Last night. Since I was in the process of crank seals and rebuilding it. Start up tonight. Life is good somedays.
smitfire

scrap metal prices

Post by smitfire »

guy by me had about 5-10 acres of junk, junk junk
got offered 2 million and he took the deal
it pays to have junk
Many new and used parts available, I ship anywhere. Thanks everyone.