79 Trailfire 440 Problems

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kasasaki motors
liquifire_freak

Post by liquifire_freak »

my trailfire 440 has some problems right now and i cant figure them out! i will pull it and it will start in 3-4 pulls and sometimes it will idle but then when i go to give it gas it just boggs rite down and if i let off in time it will stay running but still wont move and when its idling it engages the clutch and trys 2 jerk forward over and over i have to hold the break, but its snowing here and i want to get this fixed and i knew u guys here would have some good advise for me to try so ill be waiting for ideas but thanks everyone and happy riding to all!!!!!!!!
liquifire_freak

hey guys did i put this in the wrong topic and if i did im sorry and if u guys want ill delete it and move it or something. but could these problems be from having air in the lines??? i can see sets of air bubbles in my line i dont know if thats the problem or not
elachevr

Post by elachevr »

I have the same issue with a jdx6 i'm working on. I think it's my carb so i'm curious to here the responses.
Rodimus Prime

Post by Rodimus Prime »

primary clutch spring is broken
liquifire_freak

when the primary spring breaks it will cause this or what? thanks Rodimus Prime
harleysportster

Post by harleysportster »

If the primary spring is broke, you may be able to move the spider essembly in & out ( with the engine off ) . The primary spring holds the clutch open until the force of the weights is greater than the spring. If the spring breaks, the weights will close the clutch, engaging the belt prematurely. That would explain the belt engagement at idle.
'76 440 cyclone
'76 440 liquifire
'78 440 Cyclone
'75 JDX8 (sold to a member here)
'78 Liquifire(CrossCountry Clone)
'80 Liquifire(sold)
liquifire_freak

i think the engine may be reving to high tho. i dont have a dash or rpm gauge so i dont kno if its reving to high it sounds like it is reving a little high tho.
Rodimus Prime

Post by Rodimus Prime »

harleysportster wrote:If the primary spring is broke, you may be able to move the spider essembly in & out ( with the engine off ) . The primary spring holds the clutch open until the force of the weights is greater than the spring. If the spring breaks, the weights will close the clutch, engaging the belt prematurely. That would explain the belt engagement at idle.
unfortantly that isnt always the case with broken spring i had one where you couldnt push it in and out but still engaged right away.

rpm should be about 2500 when idling. if your way higher than that your throttle body cap may have come loose and or the cable is funky.

On these sleds you can look directly at primary clutch spring to visually see if its broken. take a look.
liquifire_freak

the spring is definetly not broke you are right i can see almost all the spring and its not broke im stranded now im out of ideas lol