suspension swap

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
Hansy

suspension swap

Post by Hansy »

just wondering if anyone has ever swapped out a boggie suspension for slide suspension and what it would take to convert it. I have a 75 JD 800 Image
harleysportster

suspension swap

Post by harleysportster »

The "purest" would advise not to do it , but it is your sled. The JD 800 is on the rare side, not many were produced.
If you are looking for the same style sled with the slide suspension, get a 75 JDX8
The JDX/cyclone/early liquifire cleated track / suspension should work as long as the tunnel is wide enough for the cleated track. You would have to get the measurements for all the mounting holes and drill and install reinforcement backers for the mounts. The easiest way to get all the parts is using a donor JDX sled. You need the following:
Driveshaft/ w the proper drive wheels
complete suspension and track
Siince you would need to drill holes, try and find a 78 cyclone/ liquifire suspension, but you still need the JDX driveshaft.
Last edited by harleysportster on Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'76 440 cyclone
'76 440 liquifire
'78 440 Cyclone
'75 JDX8 (sold to a member here)
'78 Liquifire(CrossCountry Clone)
'80 Liquifire(sold)
b00stinGTP

suspension swap

Post by b00stinGTP »

Harley is right about the 78 cyclone and LF suspension.. they are solid units and much easier to take in and out then the older style suspension.. they are a pain! I have a 78 suspension from a cyclone I might be willing to part with. PM me if you are interested. EDIT- I see you are from Canada.. might make it difficult to get anything as large as a suspension to you :wall:
Last edited by b00stinGTP on Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleds I own
1974 John Deere JDX8. (SOLD)
1975 John Deere JDX4. (SOLD)
1977 John Deere Liquifire 440. (SOLD)
1978 John Deere Cyclone 340. (SOLD)
1980 John Deere Liquifire. (SOLD)
1983 John Deere Liquifire.
Hansy

suspension swap

Post by Hansy »

yeah there is that too, plus i don't think i would be allowed to spend the money anyway, at least not at this time i still need a clutch too.
JoeRainville

suspension swap

Post by JoeRainville »

Hello Hansy,

This question comes up now and then, and I will offer my 2-cents. First, I would suggest if you want a slider Deere sled, they built lots of them and they are not hard to find. 74-75 JDX's and all Liquifire's, Cyclones, etc had slides depending on if you want a mid or front motor sled. The 74 295/s could be had with either bogies, slides or a bogie-slide rear suspension. It was the only Deere with optional rear suspenion types.

I am kind of "purist" or a "keep it orginal" type. But, like Harley said, it's your sled to do with as you wish.

75 800's were not a comon machine, but I would give the same advice to the owner of a 74 model 400 that they made a buj-illion of. The 46 hp, tuned pipe 440 and bogies is what made the 800 was it is. Paint black and add slides and you have a 75 JDX-8.

If you must do it, I agree the aluminum 78 skid would be a good one to adapt. You will need a JDX drive shaft, cleated track and such as mentioned. The 74-77 steel skid works OK, but is heavy as all get out.

Feel free to prove me wrong by doing a factory quality job if you do updated your sled. Personally, I would not molest a nice origial 75 800.

Good Luck,
-Joe Rainville
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
speedy295

suspension swap

Post by speedy295 »

My 73 400 has all the same mounting points at my 295/s with slides. If yours does its a bolt on deal. I wouldn't worry about modding it. It may be "rare" but to anyone other than a collector its not really worth anything.
JDT

suspension swap

Post by JDT »

The 800 is a one year shot and yours looks real straight.

Rather then mod it I bet someone would trade you for a slider Deere. I sure would.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
JoeRainville

suspension swap

Post by JoeRainville »

speedy295 wrote:My 73 400 has all the same mounting points at my 295/s with slides. If yours does its a bolt on deal. I wouldn't worry about modding it. It may be "rare" but to anyone other than a collector its not really worth anything.
Speedy,

I've never seen a bogie tunnel drilled for slides except the 295/s. Please post a pic if you have one.

Also, what do you call "rare" or "desireable?" The 800 is a one year only sled, relatively low production numbers, and an overall unique sled. I totally disagree with you here about it being not worth anything, as this page is owned, operated and inhabitated by collectors.

Rich,

Good point about the suspension kits, I forgot about them as you have posted before. I just hate the idea of taking a drill to a nice straight tunnel on a one year only sled.

Later Liquidator,
-Rainville
Last edited by JoeRainville on Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
speedy295

suspension swap

Post by speedy295 »

Joe, now that you mention it, its not drilled for the cross shafts. But the holes that the support brackets bolt to are there, so it would be a simple matter of bolting on the supports, and using them as templates.

I didn't mean to anger anyone with my comments on the value, but in most cases the sled dose not have a high cash value. They are usually worth more to the owner than they would ever sell for. It seems like you can't give away the race sleds, let alone a jd800. Does it really matter if you cut 4 holes in the tunnel?

This sled looks like a nice rider, why not give it a basically bolt on improvement.
Hansy

suspension swap

Post by Hansy »

This was the reaction i was hopping for. I know it's somewhat of a rare sled that's why i asked the question. now all i have to do is find a couple missing pieces, get the seat recovered and try and find the right paint or paint code to repaint it.
Hansy

suspension swap

Post by Hansy »

don't worry i'm in no hurry, i can't really afford it right now anyways