How Do I Get the Salsbury Off My '72 500?

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kioritz/CCW & Kohler motors.
GreenFever

Post by GreenFever »

I am trying to get the salsbury clutch off my '72 either rebuild or replace it. But there are no threads in the big nut on the outside of the clutch for my puller to thread into. My other salsbury has threads and works just fine with my puller. What am I missing hear?
'72 500 x2
'72 400 not running
'73 400 parts sled
'74 295/S x3 missing many parts
'74 300 not running
'75 600 missing engine parts
'75 800 not running
'73 JDX4 not running
'74 JDX6

'75 JDX8
jd400_21x

Post by jd400_21x »

Well you can do like I did and carefully use a pulley puller being careful not to break the shreeve but I didn't have much luck not breaking my salsbury. But with a problem like you have, once its off don't put it back on.

Good Luck
JDT

Post by JDT »

I have never pulled a 72 clutch but have used this method on some oddball setups I have run across.

Ct a slug of steel just smaller in dia and just long enough so that when you put the nut back in it touchs the slug with 3/4 of the threads in.

Than tighten up the nut.

It is not the best way but it will work if it is not rusted one bad. Presoaking will help either may.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

You can find the correct puller for the salsbury clutch, or take the big nut off your other salsbury & use it to use your other puller to remove the clutch.. I have a spare threaded salsbury nut that I save just for clutch pulling purposes..

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
Rodimus Prime

Post by Rodimus Prime »

i have to ask on the end of clutch is there a 3/8 hole on either side of shaft? there was a couple that were actually screwed on cranks pulling these with a puller will only ruin puller clutch and sometimes crank.
GreenFever

Post by GreenFever »

i have to ask on the end of clutch is there a 3/8 hole on either side of shaft? there was a couple that were actually screwed on cranks pulling these with a puller will only ruin puller clutch and sometimes crank.
Here is a picture. If it is not threaded on there I will try swapping the nuts. Do they just screw in and out of there?

Attachments:
'72 500 x2
'72 400 not running
'73 400 parts sled
'74 295/S x3 missing many parts
'74 300 not running
'75 600 missing engine parts
'75 800 not running
'73 JDX4 not running
'74 JDX6

'75 JDX8
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Yup, remove the bolt first if it has threads in the big bolt your good to use your puller if not then take the big bolt out, & use your other one that has treads in it

Kenny
Last edited by ICCSF 108 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?