I bagged a nice one..........really nice

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
ChickenRat

Post by ChickenRat »

This sled surprised me. I have too many sleds and am not really looking for anything else. However, some sleds come around that you just can't pass up. I have some very low mileage originals and some very nice restorations but I don't think, I know, this is the nicest Deere sled that I now currently own. This is a 1980 Liqufire that has been stored, since new, in a heated garage and now has 442 actual miles on it. I bought it from the original owner. These pictures don't even do this sled justice, PLUS I haven't even cleaned it up for these photos. I think that after a clean-up that this sled might actually make a grown man cry. Since I have no more room, I'm going to have to decide which sled has to go. So, another hard to find Deere will probably be up for sale soon so I can slide this one into it's spot. This one will get fogged, fuel system cleaned, thoroughly cleaned cosmetically, covered and shelved.

Robb

Attachments:
Last edited by ChickenRat on Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pj sportfire

Post by pj sportfire »

Wow Robb, that's a really nice sled! Could I bother you to take a bunch more pictures of the engine bay, under-hood and anything else you can think of? I'm re-building a 1980 LF now and I'd like to have a bunch of detailed photos to work from. The more the better!

Thank you and you can send them to my email if you want~ pj.rickard@yahoo.com

PJ
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

Robb, that's a great looking sled. I notice a lack of snow, is that a current picture? I thought you all had a lot of snow. Here in NE Indiana we had great snow until yesterday and lost it ALL in one day. DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
Caleb55

Post by Caleb55 »

Wow, that sled is purrrrdy. Very nice find!!!
1970 Wheel Horse 295
1980 Arctic Cat Jag
1989 Ski Doo Mach 1
1995 Arctic Cat Kitty Cat
Will_jdx

Post by Will_jdx »

Rob, that is one NICE looking sled!!!! I think you have too many 1984 LF, I think I need one of them. :think:

Will
1974 JDX6, 1974 JDX8
River Rat

Post by River Rat »

Robb.. I will make room here for it so you can keep your inventory straight.. I can drive overnight and get it out of your way... Will $250.00 cover it.?? :lol22: Serious..That is a nice sled..Glad to see someone still takes care of their sleds..Don't find em like that very often... It went to a good home... I just picked up an 80 in similar shape,unfortunetly is was a 440 exciter,, not a deere.. :popcorn: Frankie
ChickenRat

Post by ChickenRat »

When I went to look at this sled I was thinking that if it's decent, I may pick it up but it has to be very nice. When the cover was taken off I almost lost my breath literally. This thing is the cleanest driven Deere I think I have ever seen. Don, yes this picture was taken today. If Waconia was this weekend instead of last weekend, we would have been in trouble. Last weekend at this time I was riding the groomed trails. Today there are no trails. I'm heading up to northern MN tomorrow for almost two weeks. Hopefully get some riding in before they lose all their snow as well. They haven't lost all the snow that we have and they had more to begin with.

Robb
Last edited by ChickenRat on Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cabindweller

Post by Cabindweller »

WOW! thats a Beauty. The 80 is my fovorite of the new style Liquifires. Some day I might have to get me one. Congratts on the find.

Jerry
Old sleds are hours of entertainment.... then you get to ride them for a little bit.
jdsledfarm

Post by jdsledfarm »

Wow! It really does make a grown man cry! That sled is absolutely beautiful! You are one lucky man. Im jealous.
JDT

Post by JDT »

With all these pristine Deere's Rob finds I think he must have sold his soul to the devil.

There is something amiss with his luck that is for sure.

Makes me sick....
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
ChickenRat

Post by ChickenRat »

Finding these Deere's actually doesn't come easy. I spend hundreds of hours searching the internet, placing ads where ever I can, calling, and networking to dig these things up. I've spent plenty of days on the road looking at, picking up, and being extremely disappointed in the search for sleds. I also use the traditional methods of E-Bay, VintageSleds.com, and communicating with members of this site to locate these sleds. I have internet access at work and if I have any downtime, I'm searching. My co-workers think I'm crazy and maybe I am, but I dig up some nice stuff. Other clean originals always pop up when looking for Deere's. My main focus is Deere sleds but I'm open to other brands that are very clean and desireable sleds. I keep searching but I really don't have much intention of buying anymore sleds and I am planning on thinning down and focusing more on quality than quantity. That's why I couldn't pass this sled up. It's stunning. But I always want to have a couple of nice drivers ready to go so that if they get a bit scuffed up, that's OK.

Robb
Last edited by ChickenRat on Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JDT

Post by JDT »

Well your hard work sure pays off Robb as you have shared with us some beautiful machines.

Simply a stunning L-fire!!
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
oscar89

Post by oscar89 »

I gotta ask, what did you pay for her?
ChickenRat

Post by ChickenRat »

Paid a decent chunk of change but I'm sure it was lower than market value would be. Let's just say it was less than the 81/84 Liquifire that sold on e-bay today. Doesn't matter, sleds like this come around so rarely that you just can't say no.

Robb
jdsledwheelman

Post by jdsledwheelman »

ChickenRat wrote:This sled surprised me. I have too many sleds and am not really looking for anything else. However, some sleds come around that you just can't pass up. I have some very low mileage originals and some very nice restorations but I don't think, I know, this is the nicest Deere sled that I now currently own. This is a 1980 Liqufire that has been stored, since new, in a heated garage and now has 442 actual miles on it. I bought it from the original owner. These pictures don't even do this sled justice, PLUS I haven't even cleaned it up for these photos. I think that after a clean-up that this sled might actually make a grown man cry. Since I have no more room, I'm going to have to decide which sled has to go. So, another hard to find Deere will probably be up for sale soon so I can slide this one into it's spot. This one will get fogged, fuel system cleaned, thoroughly cleaned cosmetically, covered and shelved.

Robb
If you sell any sleds let me know, I'll be looking for years I don't have yet. :green:

thanks nick :cool:
72 500
73 600
74 295/s, JDX6
75 340/s, 400, JDX8
76 440 liquifire
77 440 cyclone spitfire
78 spitfire x2
79 spitfire
80 spitfire x3, liquifire x2, sportfire
81 spitfire
82 sprintfire, spitfire, 340 trailfire x2