building a small groomer puller

Post by _FIII »

looks nice there Pete. I say 1078.5lbs
Richard Gehl
Regina,Sk
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

S_Kyle wrote:1150, and I may have found an accomplice for your relic if it is still on.
Hiya Scott....Yes, the derby is a go for March 7. This saturday, I'm going to start putting up the signs. I had given the trail the first grooming last weekend and will cover it again this sunday. You're guess is a a tad low. Looking forward to seeing you and your buddy at the derby.
Peter from Roblin, Manitoba
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

Mr. Deere wrote:It looked kinda tippy in the video when you were in the field but good to hear it handles well. Maybe 1000lbs
Actually, Bob, it feels very stable. I know what you mean about the video.......but 90% of that illusion is because I was holding the camera in one hand while operating the machine with the other......and any small bump I hit, was exaggerated considerably with my arm waving about. The machine does look kinda tallish which might suggest tippiness, but almost all the heavy stuff is way down low giving it what so far, seems like great stability.........and believe me, there is weight. You guys were all low with your guesses (and so was I). The scale at the elevator read 710 kg when I drove the machine on (the drag was not hooked up at the time). That works out to around 1575 pounds. There might have been 25 pounds of snow and ice in the track suspensions at the time and I had roughly 8 gallons of fuel in the tank. That weight kinda shocked me and I have no idea how that little 440 (detuned by clutch weighting it down to 6800rpm max...the engine power peak is at 7800RPM) can propel it and pull as well as it does. I thought I might want a larger engine, but in low range the thing can really pull........I filled the drag with as much snow as it could carry (as seen in one of the videos) and the 440 doesn't offer any hint of complaint. If it had any more power, I'm sure I'd end up shearing lugs of the track drive sprockets.
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

I wasn't far off, LOL

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

Yeah, Kenny. Come to think of it, if we deduct the weight of the gas and snow, you are pretty much spot on. Congrats!
Mr. Deere

Post by Mr. Deere »

That good. I hope it works well for ya.
BOB From MASS
OWN: 1 1983 JOHN DEERE LIQUIFIRE 440
1 1973 JOHN DEERE JDX8 440
1 1982 JOHN DEERE SPORTFIRE 440
1 2000 SKIDOO MXZ 600
GOTTA LOVE THAT TWO STROKE SMELL
427cobra

Post by 427cobra »

Nice job Pete. The groomer turned out really good! All that hard work paid off!!
Eric A.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid" - John Wayne
b00stinGTP

Post by b00stinGTP »

I wonder what kind of fuel economy you are going to see with that thing! A+ work.
Sleds I own
1974 John Deere JDX8. (SOLD)
1975 John Deere JDX4. (SOLD)
1977 John Deere Liquifire 440. (SOLD)
1978 John Deere Cyclone 340. (SOLD)
1980 John Deere Liquifire. (SOLD)
1983 John Deere Liquifire.
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

b00stinGTP wrote:I wonder what kind of fuel economy you are going to see with that thing! A+ work.
That's a good question! I haven't ran it enough yet to get a real idea of what it's gonna burn. If my clutch comes in this week, I'll be grooming with it next weekend and will find out what it's going to do mpg-wise. So far, I have put about 4 hours on it.....some pulling my drag, and some just playing around with it and it looks like I've gone through about 6-8 gallons of gas so far, but that may or may not be represenative of what it'll do while grooming.
pj sportfire

Post by pj sportfire »

That is one of the neatest DIY project I've ever seen! Great job!!!