Back From The Vintage Challenge!

400brian

Post by 400brian »

I have returned!

It's going to take some time to write up a full report, perhaps later tonight.

I am a Vintage Challenge survivor! Long story, but the 340S was not up to the trip..
The X8, despite being given very little in the way of prep, made the trip with one new plug the night before, and a fuel filter change at the last fuel stop. We put on somewhere around 175 miles, depending on how many wrong turns we made.

We got to the banquet late, well after dark, there were some concerned folks there.

The group got separated in the dark, and out of the seven I was running with, Rainville, Waters, and Stymie stopped at the motel, so only a gal riding a late model Panther ( for support ) and I walked into the Whitetail Inn to report that we had no idea where the rest of the riders might be. Jon was not a happy camper, but when the group pulled in perhaps 45 min later, everyone was all smiles.

Much more to come. Jon told me this morning, that those of us who completed the trip have bragging rights, so I'm going to milk it for all it is worth! :lol22:

Jon's Dator blew a clutch right after the first fuel stop, so he only got to make about a quarter of the trip. More to come on that, but the moveable face broke, and he was lucky he didn't put it through the hood.

The first photo is the group on the lake at lunch up in the UP.

The second photo is the confab that went on as Jon passed the torch after the clutch failed. Notice the belt chunkage on the ground.

Attachments:

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
deereoftheyear

Post by deereoftheyear »

Would one be able to run a trailfire on the vintage challenge, what's the cut off year? Luke
400brian

Post by 400brian »

deereoftheyear wrote:Would one be able to run a trailfire on the vintage challenge, what's the cut off year? Luke
There was no cut off.

What you need is a good running, reliable, trip prepared sled.

More on that later...... :wall:

'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress
400brian

Post by 400brian »

Here is a shot of the VC sleds as we were forming up at the HOF.
Campbell's X8 is in the front row, My X8 and Troy's 340S in the second.
Rainville butted in line and started right behind Jon on the Dator.

Attachments:

73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress
400brian

Post by 400brian »

Here we are early in the trip, waiting for the other half of the group to catch up.
I'm on the far left, Campbell in the middle as is Rainville's '78 CC, and Kenny Water's LF with the black windshield on the right.

Attachments:

73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress
400brian

Post by 400brian »

Here we are at supper Friday night. Campbell is demonstrating something involving Pamela Anderson. Ross, to the left, has obviously heard this story before.

Attachments:

73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress
400brian

Post by 400brian »

Getting a full report written up is taking way longer than I expected, it may be a few days before I can get it done.

Talked to Rainville this afternoon, he and Kenny got home Monday morning.

Disscussions are already underway regarding how the ride can be improved. Participants will all be asked for input. Much like a CC race, each of us only knows what went on in the little part we experienced, and a larger view would be helpful.

73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress
400brian

Post by 400brian »

My day started well on Friday, I was up and loaded, ready to go right on time. But when I stopped at the stop sign a half mile north of the house, the brake pedal dropped and the light on the dash came on, to let me know I had just blown a brake line. Figured it was the rear axle, no sweat, on dry pavement you'll hardly know the difference. The other truck isn't wired for a trailer, and is a standard cab with no place to put my gear, so off I go to Horicon.

I unload the sleds at the show, and one of the first guys I met was longtime list member Pat ( Harleysportster ) That was great!
The show was great, a very nice display of clothes, advertising, toys, you name it. Troy and I had to leave before noon to get up to the HOF. Coming out of the parking lot at Horicon, we diagnosed that I had only one functioning brake, the right side front! This was not good, it was going to make for one hairy trip.

Took off for St Germain, what else could I do, I've been planning this trip for a year. Talked to Rainville on the way, he was busy spreading trailer tires across a wide swath of Wisconsin.

We arrived at the motel about 4:30, checked in, and got the trucks parked. We drug the 340Ss out of the trailers, fueled them and got suited up. We headed east toward the HOF, but halfway there met Bob and Don Amber, and Guy Cowing and his son. They were headed back to the motel to get ready to got out for supper. I rode up and down the ditch for a bit, and the 340S began to run lousy. Troy helped me change the coils, but that did not help a bit. I fired up the X8, and we rode down to the 18th hole for fish and BS.

A good time was had by all. We were joined by a couple of Polaris guys from MI, who I've seen on the VSCA bull sessions.
They were turning the lights off in the restaurant, trying to get us to leave when Rainville and Kenny staggered in. The doors were locked, but somehow they got in! Jon and Brian Nelson were telling stories, and it was hard to leave, but the waitress wanted to go home. Next thing I knew, Rainville was doing 180s in the parking lot with Troy's 340S! We rode the sleds back to the motel, and before we got back, the X8 was running like crap. I tried adjusting the carb, but it helped very little. I was feeling just a bit of rising panic at this point, the prospect of having nothing to ride on the VC was a real possibility. I got it back to the trailer, and checked the plugs, the left one was noticeably cooler. I replaced that plug with a new one, and the sled is back to running like a top!

About this time Rainville and Kenny come driving up, begging us to help them find a place to park the rig. After much whining by Joe, I agree to drop my trailer, and move my truck to a different spot. I mention I have to go get gas anyway, and the next thing I know I've got 3 gas orders, and I'm heading into St Germain to fill cans ( with a truck with no brakes ).

When I get back, Joe has the rig parked, and is dragging sleds out of the trailer. Kenny is adjusting his suspension, and Troy is enjoying the balmy 10 degree evening. It is midnight and lightly snowing, and the next thing I know, we are taking turns riding Rainville's sleds around the parking lot. Actually, this was kind of a highlight of the trip! While Don was in the motel snoring, Troy and I were testing the '78CC, against a Sportfire and a '84 LF to see which we liked best. For me it was no contest, the '78 CC is most like the 340S, the Sporty and particularly the LF seem tiny by comparison.

I finally had to call it a day and head for the room, we had a big ride coming up, and I needed some shut eye.

To come; the ride we'll be talking about for years!

73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress
pj sportfire

Post by pj sportfire »

Wow! That looks lot a *LOT* of fun guys! Just out of curiosity, what kind of pace do you guys' keep on a Vintage Champ Ride like that? Is it an all-out, take no prisoners pace like Amber used to ride back in his hay-day or is it at a pace like he rides now... :whistle: :green:

PJ
HoosierDeereMan

Post by HoosierDeereMan »

PJ,

I got a true thrill. My 340/S died on the trail. We were waiting for the rest of the group to catch up and my sled loaded up and fouled a plug. Rainville and the Watersboy played pit crew and swapped plugs for me. Once running I moved 10 feet and it loaded up and died again. By this time the entire group was waiting on me! Everyone took off except for former ETD driver Brian Nelson who was on the Artic Cat tow sled. He helped me drop the needles in the carbs to lean it some. Once the sled was running again we had to ride hard to catch the group. At the very next intersection Jon Carlson sat waiting on us. He shook his fist in triumph that we had the 340/S running again. We tore off down the trail with Jon in the lead on the Dator, Myself in the middle on the 340/S, and Brian bringing up the rear on the Artic Cat. Talk about a thrill! I'm a nobody riding through the north woods on vintage Deere sleds with 2 class acts who made them famous! It was an honor and a priviledge to be able to do so.

It's been 2 days since then and I'm still smiling! :smile: :smile: :smile:

What a memory! :dance:
'72 400
'73 400, (2)500's, 600
'74 295/S (restored) 2010 HOF poker run survivor.
'75 800, JDX8,
'75 340/S 2011 & 2012 Vintage Challenge finisher.
'76 (2)400's
'78 Liquifire 340,440
'79 Spitfire
"If it has Tits, Tires, or Tracks it's gonna cost you money!"
400brian

Post by 400brian »

I rolled out around 6:30 AM, and prepared for the big day. Troy and I headed to the trailers, and while Troy made some final preparations to the 340S, I made one last attempt to revive mine. I swapped the CDI box with another rebuilt one I had, to find that it didn't help one little bit. OK, the S was dead.

I fueled the X8, and shoved a bottle of oil and a spare pair of mittens in the tool box. We took off for the HOF, and just as we were approaching the driveway, I realized that we should have went the opposite direction to have breakfast at the Whitetail Inn! I guess I was a bit preoccupied.

We parked at the Inn, went in and signed up for the VC. The Deere gang was finishing up, but they had us join them and kept us entertained while we ate. Spirits were high, and everyone was eager to get going. After the group photo, and a driver's meeting from Jon, we were on the sleds and heading towards the HOF once more. Troy and I were right on the stick there, as we parked in the second row behind Kevin and Ross. There was a fair amount of bantering among the group as the sleds lined up, and some hollering as Jon arrived on the Dator. Jon and Brian Nelson got their maps in order, ( Jon had the route taped to the dash of the sled ) and some last minute strategy.
Jon had the Dator on the stand warming it up, a group photo was taken, and at last Jon gave the signal to crank 'em up!

Rainville and Kenny had snuck to the front of the line, the sawhorse was removed, and we were off! I was a little bummed that I wasn't on the 340S, but the X8 was running good, I was in good company, and after a year of planning, WE WERE ACTUALLY DOING IT!
The trails were snirty, and icy in the corners, it took a little time to figure out how hard I could run through the turns, but it was OK.
We zipped across Big St Germain lake, and got comfortable with the pace and rhythm of the ride.

As we were approaching our first fuel stop on Lake Cisco, Troy disappeared. He was behind me as we came across a lake, and when I had climbed up the bank and got up on top, he was gone. There were a ton of sleds coming behind me as I was near the front of the pack, so I kept going. We paused for a moment on Cisco, and Troy came up along side. I asked him what was going on, and he replied that he was running rich, and that Brian Nelson had helped him drop the needles in the carbs, and he was running better.
I gave him the thumbs up, and we were off across the lake, headed for the Resort and fuel.

We lined up to start refueling sleds ( we had run about 40 miles at this point ), when I realized Troy was again AWOL.
A few minutes later he came over to tell me he was done. I said lets open the air screws and see if the helps, and he said no, I broke the skid! I walked up to see for myself, and yes indeed, he was done, bummer. One Cat dropped out here as well with a bad fuel pump. We got our MI trail passes, gas, hit the head and we were off!

Just a few clicks down the trail was where things got interesting. Jon pulled over and flipped up the hood, I was just a few sleds back. As I walked up, he was pulling a trashed belt out of the sheaves. As he was doing this, Kenny Waters noted that he had bigger problems, as he pointed out the cracked moveable face! It was pretty much like you had let the air out of Jon as he realized he was done for the day as well. Jon turned the point of the spear over to Mike Weifurter and said, "get going!"

Next installment; heading for Fishtails
Last edited by 400brian on Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress
JDT

Post by JDT »

More Brian....
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
jd16

Post by jd16 »

IT WAS FUN RIDING WITH U AND WAS IT UR WIFE THAT FELL OFF THE SLED IF IT WAS I HOPE SHE IS OK
JRC ETD

Post by JRC ETD »

Well written and well rode Brian...Thanks JRC
400brian

Post by 400brian »

The ride from St Germain up to the fuel stop had went very smoothly. The pace seemed right on the money, the group was staying together well, and the next leg was looking good because the trail conditions had improved noticeably. Jon and Brian seemed to be working like a well oiled machine, and the organization and preparation was obvious.

With Jon out for the day, we started out anew with Mike on the point. It was already obvious that time was going to be a problem.
As we prepared to leave, Jon had urged us to skip lunch, grab a candy bar, and gas and go, because we would be pushing nightfall before we got back. Mike apparently took this to heart, as he led off with a pace considerably faster than what Jon had been driving. The problem was that most of the group couldn't, or wouldn't, ride that fast. Rainville, Kenny, Ross, and Kevin rode away from me.
I was pushing the X8 as hard as I dared, but could not stay with them for any length of time. This pretty much remained true for the rest of the day. The funny part is that while I couldn't stay with the lead bunch, the rest of the group wouldn't stay with me!

Now I have told this to anyone who would stand still ever since. I believe I was riding the oldest, slowest, most ill handling sled on the VC ride. And yet, I found myself riding alone much of the time. The lead group would ride out of sight, and sleds behind me would fall back.
The sleds in the group should have been backing up behind me like like traffic on the Interstate behind a 90 year driver. I didn't understand it.

At one point, Mike stopped to let everyone regroup, I believe we were about 10 miles from Fishtails at the time. My recollection is that it was the first and only stop we made on that leg. When I pulled up, Rainville claimed they'd been waiting 10 minutes, that was bad enough, but we waited another 10-15 min before the rest of the group rode in. So the group was pretty well strung out. The word seemed to be that everyone was running pig rich.

We finally got going again. I stayed with Kevin pretty good until they got up on a road and pinned their ears back, then they were gone. When I got to the top of the rise they had disappeared over, I was at a resort called the Root Cellar. Now I had heard Mike mention something about that, but didn't know exactly what the significance was. I made a lap around the parking lot, didn't see a trace of our group, so I got back on the trail and headed north. I had a bad feeling about this right away, the tracks in the trail all appeared to be late model, and the trail seemed to be heading NE. After a mile or so I stopped, as I was meeting some traffic, and I started asking each rider if they knew how to get to Fishtails? ( none did ). Group members started rolling up behind me at this point, and they wanted to know what I was doing. Finally someone pulled up and told us to turn around. The lead group had pulled into the Root Cellar drive, and headed for the lake access behind the building, however no one had stayed out on the road to direct anyone in.

We were soon grouped back up, and headed west across Lake Gogebic, toward Fishtails on the other side. As we parked and dismounted, the late model Ride with the Champs guys were leaving after a relaxed lunch. When I walked into the place, I saw everyone shedding their riding clothes, and sitting down. Someone brought up Jon's admonition to "gas and go", but the attitude from the group seemed to be "screw that, we are eating", so we sat down and ate. I must admit I'm glad we did, the food was good, and hit the spot. I remember observing that it felt good to sit on something that wasn't bouncing! We ate then headed out to refuel. This fuel stop seemed to take forever, there were no cans offered, so we had to mix in our tanks, and each had to pay before the next person could fill. We probably spend an hour and a half at Fishtails.

We finally headed back across the lake. Campbell and Ross had stayed at the Root Cellar. Ross's SRX was running rich, and they were going to drop the needles, fuel, and grab a sandwich. But instead they had headed back so they could run their own pace ( fast ).
Mike promptly took off down the trail we had turned on before lunch, and being fat and happy, several of us had followed. I believe Dan Larsen had to run us down on his Cat, and it took a while for him to catch the guys at the front.

We eventually got going the right direction, and were headed back to Cisco the same way we had come. About half way through that leg, the X8 hiccuped. I said to myself, "oh crap" Then it did it again. At first I didn't know what was going on, but as it got worse, I became convinced I had a fuel delivery problem. We had stopped to gather the group shortly before this started getting to be a serious issue. Mike was beginning to get frustrated by the inability of the the tail enders to keep up. I had decided to change the fuel filter at Cisco, rather than hold up the group on the trail, although I think I would have had plenty of time to get it done while waiting for the tail enders to catch up. On some of the fast straight sections of trail, I was pumping the throttle, letting off when it bogged, coasting for a moment, then hitting the gas until it did it again. I was relieved when we rolled into the last fuel stop.

The last stop seemed to go fast. The guys knew the drill, and most of the sleds were back out on the lake when I finished the filter replacement. I had pulled the pick-up out of the tank, and it was clean. Tod Meyers and I were the last to fuel, I dumped the last of my oil into the can, and we split that 5 gallons between us. Tod insisted on paying for it, and we headed down to the lake to join the group. When Brian Nelson joined us, we took off.

I believe the sun had already set as we departed, and we learned later that Kevin and Ross were already soaking in the hot tub at the motel by this time. When you get a large group of sleds going across a lake, a cloud of snow fills the air. You can try to get slightly up wind, but most likely are pretty much running blind. At one point I got in a rut that had me heading right for one of the orange barrels they mark the trail with, I had to back off the power to jerk the sled out of it, and get back out to some smoother ice. The upside was that the X8 was running strong. I was pretty happy that I had been able to fix the problem that easily, and that I had been smart enough to toss the filter into the tool box before I left.

As we neared the south shore of the lake, we had our scariest moment. Teresa Larsen, riding a late model Cat, got pitched off, and we rode up to find her laying on the ice. I asked her about it later, she said she hit a couple of bumps, got out of shape, saw that she was heading for a bunch of stumps, and either was pitched or bailed off. She got her bell rung a bit, but Dan got her sitting up, cleaned the snow out of her helmet, and put her back on the sled.

The trail up off the lake was steep, icy, and very rough. I was perhaps the 8th sled to come off the lake, and watched as a vintage Cat spun in to the boards in front of me. The trail was very narrow, but I pulled to the right, stayed on the gas, and the old mid mount powered its way up and out. We sat up on the road waiting for the rest to come up the hill for quite a while. When they finally came out, Nelson was pulling a LF.

Next to come: Lost in the dark.
Last edited by 400brian on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress