Poll, Re-pop metal JD parts

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
wycrumb

Poll, Re-pop metal JD parts

Post by wycrumb »

I am looking for ideas of parts for these great machines that people are in need of that I might be able to have made and sold.
Here is what I came up with so far:

70's LF, Cyclone, and Dator rear grab bar
80's Fire series Grab Bar
Hex Shaft for direct drive sleds, (conversion from cleated to all rubber track talked about here:
http://www.jdsleds.com/community/viewto ... f=1&t=8114

This is simply to get ideas because we all know how it is trying to find that part you need, esp. on a tight budget.

Thanks
Wycrumb

'09 John Deere Snow-Mower SM440
'96 Lifted Utility Club Car Carryall II
'82 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
'74 John Deere 300
'72 John Deere 400
'73 John Deere 400
'73 John Deere 600
'79 John Deere Trailfire 340/440
'80 John Deere Sportfire 440
JDT

Re: Poll, Re-pop metal JD parts

Post by JDT »

Hood Prop rod assy for the 75-78 sleds are hard to find in good condition.
The design was a little weak for those heavy hoods.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

I believe that some of the 76-78 sleds used a hinge type hood prop while others just used a rod?
Although a hexed shaft would be better & needed if your using the hex style drivers on the Spits, 2 things come to mind,
( 1 ) the shafts should be harder than OEM round shafts as the problem seems to be in the bearing area because of the force put on the shaft because of the driven & the brake.
( 2 ) is there a supplier for the hex style track drive sprockets that will continue making them? as going through the process of building hex shaft only to find out there is a shortage of drivers wouldn't be very profitable..

Just my $.0745 worth

Kenny

PS By the way I'm sending Cometic head gaskets for the 295/S, 340/S, & 440/? ( PISTON PORTED MOTORS ) & for the 440 Dator engines..
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
Matt

Post by Matt »

ICCSF 108 wrote: & for the 440 Dator engines..
How many are there?
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Just guessing from the top of my head 3 for sure maybe 4 that I know of. Cometic already has made one head gasket for them but I have found that there were 2 different style head gaskets used, one would flow more water that the other so I'm thinking that we would want the one that flows more water for better cooling that is why I'm sending the one that I have..

Kenny
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
robtan88

Post by robtan88 »

Hi Guys. I made a hex shaft driver for the Spit,s. Talk to Lord Rainville as he owns it now. It was a bit time consuming to turn out on a lathe and cut the keyways, so it wouldn,t be cheap to buy the hex shaft and make only a few. I installed 80 Liquifire drivers and rubber track. Had to modify the suspention a wee bit, and it does steal some of the lower end take off power from these sleds. End result however was a VERY stock, un-raped tunnel now housing an all rubber track. HIGHLY recommend the smaller drivers, but I can now for-see a problem of getting an all rubber quarter inch thick track at 20 below zero, to bend around the little drivers. However, the moral of this story is, the idea did work just needs to be tweeked. This is were Joe steps up to the plate!!!! .....Rob.
wycrumb

Post by wycrumb »

Well My company already uses 1" hex shaft and we also have a CNC lathe where we do the turning down and a machining center that does the keyways. This shaft would be no problem. I hope this mod works out for everyone, only thing I see is that now the LF track will become even harder to get your hands on. Are there any other more common tracks that the drivers could be made for, same length but different drive pitch, maybe even thinner so it would bend easier?

Also keep the re-pop ideas coming and if someone could post pictures or send them to me and I can post them so we know what is being talked about, that would be great!
Here are the ideas so far:

Hex Shaft for direct drive sleds
Hood Prop rod assy for the 75-78 sleds
*NEW* Aluminum rod with tapped holes for suspension (maybe make it out of steel?)
Wycrumb

'82 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
'74 John Deere 300
'72 John Deere 400
'73 John Deere 400
'73 John Deere 600
Nutter

Post by Nutter »

Wycrumb,

As was pointed out earlier, check the availability of the 3.29 pitch drivers for the rubber tracks. A year ago I tried to order some from Pat's Small Engine Parts and was told by Pat's that the manufacturer had discontinued them and they could no longer get them. I checked DK and the web site said they were on clearance and there were only three left. I used those three on my Trailfire.

It would be great to hear that there is still s supply of the 3.29 pitch drivers for the rubber tracks, but my experiences a year ago tell me it's unlikely.

Nutter
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Wycrumb, Can you email me direct with your name & the address of where you work? my kid will be coming that way in the next week or so going to a job site in Northern ND & I can have him drop off a 78 rear bumper to you to see what it might cost to get them re-popped.. my email is ump45-nt@swbell.net or call me at 612-325-8527
thanks
Kenny
lwb140

Post by lwb140 »

what about repopping the snowflap holder upper rod that keeps the flap out of the track on 75-78 big johns ?? wade
certificate recipiant of the 12 vintage challenge !! on a 78 liquifre 440,
certificate recipiant of the 13 vintage challenge !! on a 340/s
certificate recipient of the 14 vintage challenge !! on a 78 liquifire 440
joe forgot the certificates for the 2015 vintage challenge
crossed the start/finish line twice at the 2013 and 2014 I500 on a 78 liquifire 440
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

The M66848 one would be the one to repop, as the M66757 & M66759 don't hold the snowflap as far away from the track..

Kenny
wycrumb

Post by wycrumb »

Hex Shaft for direct drive sleds
Hood Prop rod assy for the 75-78 sleds
Aluminum and Steel rod with tapped holes for fire series suspensions
Snow Flap Bar #M66848

If anyone has or could track down the part numbers for the exact parts that are needed that would be great.
Wycrumb

'82 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
'74 John Deere 300
'72 John Deere 400
'73 John Deere 400
'73 John Deere 600
S_Kyle

Post by S_Kyle »

Grab handles for the 76 - 78? Cyclones and Liquifires. The plastic/ rubber ones for the passenger.
Scott Kyle,
Liquifire: 77 (440) (2), 600: 73,74,75
Massey Whirlwind: 76 440 (2)
Mercury Hurricane 644: 72,73
OMC Snowcruiser: 66,68,70
Rupp: 70 34 Sprint
Allouettte Super Brute: 74 (5)
OTC Deere sled dyno
Matt

Post by Matt »

S_Kyle wrote:Grab handles for the 76 - 78? Cyclones and Liquifires. The plastic/ rubber ones for the passenger.
This topic is specifically about metal parts, but those handle are available: Dennis Kirk Part #: 3974. You have to drill 2 additional holes in each.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
S_Kyle

Post by S_Kyle »

Thanks for the info, and sorry about that.
Scott Kyle,
Liquifire: 77 (440) (2), 600: 73,74,75
Massey Whirlwind: 76 440 (2)
Mercury Hurricane 644: 72,73
OMC Snowcruiser: 66,68,70
Rupp: 70 34 Sprint
Allouettte Super Brute: 74 (5)
OTC Deere sled dyno