Need to replace seals on my Sprintfire

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kasasaki motors
mwking

Need to replace seals on my Sprintfire

Post by mwking »

Had the Sprintfire out on the weekend and it suddenly was very difficult to start. It popped a couple of times and I could see a little exhaust come out by the recoil where the water pump belt is, so I'm pretty sure I have a bad seal on that side. I checked compression on both cylinders and it looks like I caught it before any damage was done, the plug colour looks fine. Normally I would not consider replacing seals without splitting the case, but gaskets for this motor are hard to get. Also if I can find gaskets it will take a couple of weeks to get them into Canada through the mail and we have finally got the trails open, so I would like to get it going as soon as I can. The Sprint motor has six bolts going up from the bottom and six from the cylinders going down through the case as near as I can see, so I can't just split the case without taking the top half of the motor apart. I have a couple of seals with no ridge on them that I can put in, I' m wanting to change both. I'm looking for some advice on how to get the old seals out and what to use to make sure the new seals stay in without the ridge. I was told one time that some locktite on the seals outside edge would be a good idea to help hold it in.

Thanks,

Murray

P.S. does anyone know where I can get a set of gaskets for a Sprintfire? I do plan on going through the motor over the summer.
'84 Liquifire,'84 Sportfire, '83 Sprintfire, '82 Spitfire, '82 Trailfire LX, '80 Liquifire (2), '80 Sportfire,'80 340 Trailfire, '79 Spitfire
Invader440

Re: Need to replace seals on my Sprintfire

Post by Invader440 »

This should give you a guideline for doing it without taking the top end apart even though it's written for the Invader/Liquifire style engines:
http://kawasakitrax.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=96
Not familiar with the Sprintfire engine but your cylinder studs should only be screwed in to the top half of the case. One of you JD guys correct me if I'm wrong.
big danno 1970

Post by big danno 1970 »

Murray If you want I can come over this weekend and have alook to see if you need to disturb the top end of the engine and maybe even give you a hand.Let me know.
Dan
mwking

Post by mwking »

Thanks for the offer Dan, I am going to try to call you.

I got the motor out and it is definately different from the other Kawasaki motors I have worked on. The bottom of the motor has no bolts at all to hold the case together, they are definately coming down from the top on this one. I managed to get the old seal out. A little cleanup and new seals on both sides and I should be ready for some reassembly.

Thanks,

Murray
'84 Liquifire,'84 Sportfire, '83 Sprintfire, '82 Spitfire, '82 Trailfire LX, '80 Liquifire (2), '80 Sportfire,'80 340 Trailfire, '79 Spitfire