Identify this please

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
Sprailfire340

Identify this please

Post by Sprailfire340 »

Anyone tell me what this engine plate is for?
plate.jpg
plate #.jpg
Thanks
:sled: ME
400brian

Re: Identify this please

Post by 400brian »

It appears to be a JD part number, but it does not come up as valid in JDParts.com.

That does not rule it out as a JD part. Where did you find that?

Might it be for a garden tractor?

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

400brian wrote:It appears to be a JD part number, but it does not come up as valid in JDParts.com.

I think "M" and "AM" are indicators of a sled part.

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
Matt

Post by Matt »

WinnipegStPaul9 wrote:
400brian wrote:It appears to be a JD part number, but it does not come up as valid in JDParts.com.

I think "M" and "AM" are indicators of a sled part.

DA
Both M and AM are still current in JD part numbers, not just sleds. M is always an individual item such as a bolt, and I believe AM indicates an assembly.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
AirborneX4Special

Post by AirborneX4Special »

M and AM are current parts prefixes; AM is Horicon but M can be from anywhere.
Wildfire II

Post by Wildfire II »

Matt is correct. I have had that part in my hands many times years ago and can not for the life of me remember where it went. Remember I have had every base plate made in my hands from year one at one time or anouther.
78440liquid

Post by 78440liquid »

I logged onto JDPOINT and the number subbed to M66864 which is the engine plate for the Dator. Hope this helps.
AirborneX4Special

The parts department at my local dealer confirmed it is a Dator engine base plate.
deeredr

Post by deeredr »

Matt is also correct concerning the M vs AM prefix.
In the Deere parts nomenclature, single letter prefixes signify a bare part. Once anything is added to a part, for example a bushing or a bolt or a clip then the part # has an "A" attached to it signifying a part assembly.

In the good old days, the letter prefix meant more than they do now.
R and AR were Waterloo factory sourced, in this case tractor parts
E and AE were Ottumway factory sourced, in this case hay tool parts.
H and A were Harvester factory sourced, in this case combine or crop cutting parts.
and so on.

M and AM are Horicon factory sourced. However, recall that long long before lawn tractors and snowmobiles came on the scene, Horicon was a grain drill factory. Deere chose to convert it from drills to producing their new line of lawn equipment. Hence, many older M and AM parts have nothing to do with Deere's Consumer Products. As a very general rule, if the part #'s a low five digit or a four digit then it's likely not a lawn tractor or snowmobile part. To add further confusion, Deere's Dubuque factory built tractors, such as the model M, 40,320,330,420 and 430 all carried M and AM part #'s with, again, being mostly lower 5 digit or 4 digit part #'s. These Dubuque part #'s later were changed over to T and AT prefixes when the new Industrial products began to emerge.

Also factor in that Deere's bicycles as well as chain saws carried M and AM part #'s that look to be correct for lawn tractors or snowmobiles and you can see there's no hard and fast rule. You have to do your research.

Ok, lesson over

Greg
30 year JD partsman
harleysportster

Post by harleysportster »

Greg,
Thanks for the great explanation of the part numbers.
Harley
'76 440 cyclone
'76 440 liquifire
'78 440 Cyclone
'75 JDX8 (sold to a member here)
'78 Liquifire(CrossCountry Clone)
'80 Liquifire(sold)
AirborneX4Special

Greg
Thanks for the lesson. Now it's a bit clearer why certain part numbers tend to lead to head scratching on both sides of the parts counter.

Pat
JDT

Post by JDT »

Deere Bicycles??

Please explain the story behind those Greg.
Never seen nor heard of them.

I know Arctic Cat did bikes for a year or two.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
deeredr

Post by deeredr »

Todd
Not '"bikes" as in motorcycles but "bikes" as in bicycles. About the same time frame as the sleds except they were over sooner. I suppose Deere was making a real push in the recreational or lifestyle area as the lawn tractors were going strong and had been received very well. Bicycles were introduced and sales were less than spectacular. When we bought our dealership in 1976, I can remember there were still one or two in stock the first time I ever came into the dealership. A neighboring dealer north of Denver even still had two or three new old stock bikes in the box up until about 15 years ago or so. Like an idiot I never tried to buy them. The bikes are now of course collectible although nowhere near the levels of the two cylinder tractors nor do they enjoy the ever rising interest that the JD sleds do. From what I can tell, the most valuable JD bikes today are the girl's stingray style (especially if they have the handlebar basket with decorative flowers and the JOHN DEERE banana seat intact) and almost any bicycle finished in blue instead of white,green,yellow or black. This makes sense as nearly all bikes would have been ordered in any color except blue making those very uncommon today.
An interesting side story (well to me at least). When Deere closed out their bicycle parts, they were offered on a special program at a 90% discount. At these prices, I purchased around $2000 or $4000 worth of new old stock bike parts. Deere even called me when they received their order and assumed I had made a mistake! I told them to let the order stand and ship the items. I purchased a few NOS frames, a few of whatever tires were left, NOS rims, cables, pedals etc and about 10 complete sets of decals for every model of bike Deere had made. Also any special Deere medallions or whatever that might be on a bike. All of this was packed away in pallets as I awaited the explosive rise in interest and value of Deere's bicycles. Well, so far, that day has never come! So someday I'll get around to inventorying the items and probably list the stuff online so anyone restoring a bike can get a part or two that they need.

So far as the part number lesson, glad it was of interest. Over the years I know my knowledge of Deere part #'s had been invaluable at auctions as I can nearly always tell what a part is by it's # and therefore have an idea of it's value and what to pay for it.

All for now

Greg
JDT

Post by JDT »

Thanks Greg. Appreciate your knowledge.

I know that the Cat bicycles are worth about 10 times what the retail was if they are in mint condition.
I would think that the Deere models would follow suite.

Sure would like to see a few pictures or a brouchure.
Anyone?
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
mwking

Post by mwking »

Here are a couple of scans of the JD bike line from a brochure that I have.

Murray
Attachments
JD bikes
JD bikes
'84 Liquifire,'84 Sportfire, '83 Sprintfire, '82 Spitfire, '82 Trailfire LX, '80 Liquifire (2), '80 Sportfire,'80 340 Trailfire, '79 Spitfire