Media blasting clutches

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
S_Kyle

Media blasting clutches

Post by S_Kyle »

I have been experimenting with crushed glass blasting on my latest project. I would like to clean up the secondary wile it is apart and was wondering if there is any reason why I can use the glass on the sheaves? I am happy with the pieces that I have painted so far.
Scott Kyle,
Liquifire: 77 (440) (2), 600: 73,74,75
Massey Whirlwind: 76 440 (2)
Mercury Hurricane 644: 72,73
OMC Snowcruiser: 66,68,70
Rupp: 70 34 Sprint
Allouettte Super Brute: 74 (5)
OTC Deere sled dyno
lwsnowman

Re: Media blasting clutches

Post by lwsnowman »

In my experiences with blasting there are now lots of media choices for tasks. Crushed walnuts is a cool media as on aluminum it will shine and clean without damage. Air pressure can be adjusted to give the desired effect. Also the walnuts are not harmfull to the soft surfaces. Glass bead can be harmfull if not fully flushed from sliding surfaces it can actually embed itself and never come off.

Just my 2 cents worth.

LW
SpitfireKing

Post by SpitfireKing »

Ya I have to agree...I did some SB owrk with glass this past summer and I did find that in anything on the soft side it really stayed with the metal and even a trip to the wire wheel didn't alwys take it off, now this was on trim rings etc on my 49 Dodge.....I would expect the aluminum to be just as bad on the clutches....but I haven't actually seen the walnuts yet...but then again I only really shop at Princess Auto here for that stuff...cheaper the better for something that is about to be spread all over the ground once I'm done.
[
Matt

Post by Matt »

I just did a pair of clutches this weekend with glass - I'd say it worked pretty well. I didn't see any embedded, but I'll take another look.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
JD_Sledder68

Post by JD_Sledder68 »

When I glass bead aluminum parts, I turn the air pressure down to lowest pressure that will still get the job done in a timely fashion. That reduces the risk of embedding the beads in the material. Where I absolutely will not use glass is on cylinder heads, pistons, etc. Anything that is extremely critical in a metal on metal type of task. Even when I do pulleys, etc. I plug the hole where the shaft goes through, with rag or tape it with duct tape to prevent damaging the keyway etc.
Brian Redick
1982 John Deere Trailfire LX 440
1978 John Deere Liquifire 340