440/22 ccw motor

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kioritz/CCW & Kohler motors.
74 jdx8

440/22 ccw motor

Post by 74 jdx8 »

Having trouble with keeping my motor running. Starts and runs as normal, but later stars to bogg with throtle open, but if I pull the choke it will take off again. rebuilt carb. thought I rebuilt it wrong, changed carb with a perfict running sled, still the same problem. Could it be reed vavle problem?
thanks
JD600

Re: 440/22 ccw motor

Post by JD600 »

Hi again.

Its possible that the reeds are to blame, but it is more likely that you have a bad crank seal behind the clutch. I had the same problem with my 600. I would recomend changing both crank seals as those 30 year old rubber seals could fail at any time. Good luck.

DE
Dustin Elder
Salem, OH

Midmounts.... Lots and lots of midmounts...

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."
Skirouled!

Post by Skirouled! »

I've got a problem alot like this, except i've replaced the crank seals, and all of the reeds look good. It seems like it will idle all day long, but once I open the throttle a bit, it seems like it starves for fuel. There's also a big air bubble inside the fuel line running from the pump to the carb.
harleysportster

Post by harleysportster »

Skirouled! wrote:I've got a problem alot like this, except i've replaced the crank seals, and all of the reeds look good. It seems like it will idle all day long, but once I open the throttle a bit, it seems like it starves for fuel. There's also a big air bubble inside the fuel line running from the pump to the carb.
Did you clean your carb completely resently?
'76 440 cyclone
'76 440 liquifire
'78 440 Cyclone
'75 JDX8 (sold to a member here)
'78 Liquifire(CrossCountry Clone)
'80 Liquifire(sold)
Skirouled!

Post by Skirouled! »

Yeah; I made sure all of the passages were clear and I cleaned the pilot jet as well.
lwb140

Post by lwb140 »

what about ignition are you losing spark as revs increase ?? if so it could be your high speed winding , ive fought this before. also crap under needle and seat not allowing enough fuel into bowl to run at higher speeds just some ideas wade
certificate recipiant of the 12 vintage challenge !! on a 78 liquifre 440,
certificate recipiant of the 13 vintage challenge !! on a 340/s
certificate recipient of the 14 vintage challenge !! on a 78 liquifire 440
joe forgot the certificates for the 2015 vintage challenge
crossed the start/finish line twice at the 2013 and 2014 I500 on a 78 liquifire 440
Skirouled!

Post by Skirouled! »

I'm not sure if I'm losing spark at higher RPMs. The plugs are bone dry when I look at them after it dies, so I don't think I'd be losing spark. I went through the carb again and cleaned everything really well. I pulled out the jets and everything that I could and looked it over. I also checked out the reeds and the pump and everything looks good as far as that stuff.
harleysportster

Post by harleysportster »

When the high-speed windings fails, the engine won't run over 4500 rpm or so.
Did you change your fuel filters?
Last edited by harleysportster on Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
'76 440 cyclone
'76 440 liquifire
'78 440 Cyclone
'75 JDX8 (sold to a member here)
'78 Liquifire(CrossCountry Clone)
'80 Liquifire(sold)
JD600

Post by JD600 »

it still sounds to me like you have an air leak. Try spraying down the entire engine with brake cleaner while the sled is idling. If it revs up, you have an air leak.

DE
Dustin Elder
Salem, OH

Midmounts.... Lots and lots of midmounts...

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."
Skirouled!

Post by Skirouled! »

The fuel filter is clear and not plugged with anything. I was thinking that I might have a leak at the pulsator line, because the line that is on there right now seems to fit kind of loosely to the point where I can pull it off with my fingers without much effort . I don't have any clamps on it right now because I couldn't maneuver a screw driver underneath the intake manifold to tighten a clamp. Now that I've got the intake manifold and everything off, I'll see if I can put clamps on the pulsator line at the crankcase and pump.
Skirouled!

Post by Skirouled! »

I should probably start my own thread.. sorry for the hijacking ha ha