Time to sell the collection...stocks are up

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
SpitfireKing

Time to sell the collection...stocks are up

Post by SpitfireKing »

http://ebrandon.ca/ItemView.aspx?item_id=361689

LMAO...if I could get this for any one of my 300's it would be gone in a heartbeat.....heck...I would take 1/2 and be very happy, and mine have all the plastic and have been completely gone through.....same seller has a 400 listed for $1000.00

I tell ya boys...time to blow out the herd..at these prices I can retire at 30 with my stock and live life on a beach somewhere.......or somewhere with snow 365 :lol22: :canadasmile:
[
80spitfire

Re: Time to sell the collection...stocks are up

Post by 80spitfire »

Lol that's hilarious!! It's inredible what some people think their sled is worth.
72' 500 Restored
74' 295/S Unrestored
75' 340/S Rider
76' Liquidator Restored
77' Liquifire Rider
80' Spitfire Restored
deerehunter

Post by deerehunter »

Sleds are worth more in Canada,eh? :whistle:
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

Other than the missing plastic panel the sled looks in nice shape, but I think he's dreaming with the $1200.00 tag. However, I wouldn't be shocked if he got $800.00 for it as it's getting pretty hard to find decent JD sleds here in Manitoba. Looking at that ad brought back awful memories of those super ugly registration decals we used to be required to put on both sides of our hoods (in addition to the licence plate). I had written a letter to MPIC back in 1982 or so stating how much I detested messing up the hood of my sleds with those huge decals. I never did receive a reply, but within a couple years, they eliminated the decals and required only a plate on the LH side of the tunnel. I often wondered if my letter had any influence on their decision......Not Likely....lol.

I refused to mess up the lines of my 82 Liq with the decals, so I reviewed the instructions for the decals and saw it stated to place them in as high a location as conveniently possible on either side of the hood. I did so, but I decided on placing them on the inside of the hood since the instructions did not state they needed to be on the outside.

And yes, I did get pulled over by the police when one of them spotted me ditch banging with no decals visible. I opened my hood and showed him the decals and then pulled the decal instructions out of my my registration envelope and had him read the instructions. He chuckled and agreed with me that it did not say they had to be on the outside of the hood. He let me go and wished me a good day....pretty darn sporting of him, I thought.
Peter from Roblin, Manitoba
SpitfireKing

Post by SpitfireKing »

LOL....well no matter what your efforts were LF as a younger sledder who has purchased 3 brand new machines already in my life I thank you that I didn't have to plaster the hood with crap like that! :P

As for $800 for a Deere....maybe for a really nicely done 400, but 300's are a dime a dozen except maybe the showroom condition one you have. I would make a pretty safe bet both these sleds would still need another $200+ thrown at them to make them either a show quality unresto sled, or a good relic runner that was up to date on maintenance.

I still put out ads once in awhile for used sleds, but now that vintage sledding is becoming popular everyone who has an old barn sled thinks it's worth $1000 even though the seats are toast, 80% of the hoods are cracked, or tracks are toast and also all need carb kits and engine seals and gaskets just to be runners.....

The odd time I get a call from someone who is reasonable and just wants it gone, but even to pay $400 for most sleds is high unless it's been a yearly runner.....the most expensive deere I own was purchased by my wife who got taken to the cleaners on it IMO($550 for a Spitfire with a badly fixed hood and a messed up belly etc.)....and all my others have a max purchase price of $300 or less, which leave me room to work on it and still not have way more then it's worth invested.
[
jdrob

Post by jdrob »

Hell at those prices all my sleds are forsale !! DAddy needs a new truck :)
Jdrob

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." AE
SpitfireKing

Post by SpitfireKing »

HEY you U.S. guys back off....theses are CANADIAN prices....LOL..we got dibs on unloading our sleds first.. :lol22:
[
guitardude081

Post by guitardude081 »

You should see all of the burned down and battered XLTs on Craigslist that are going for $1000. I have owned 4 XLTs in the last 5 years and I never paid more than $500 for one that ran. Sled values went absolutely crazy this year.
~Jack
Owner, Durand Motorsports
1980 Trailfire 340 (Grandpa bought new)
1983 Trailfire LX
1982 Spitfire (Grandpa bought new)
(3)1974 295/S
1975 340/S
(2) 1978 Liquifire
2003 Ski Doo Renegade 600HO
1993 Polaris XLT Special with AAEN pipes
2020 Polaris Indy 600 XC 129 40th Anniversary Edition
1980 Liquifire (currently in pieces)
moontree

Post by moontree »

well as we all know the :usa: dollar is declining. i guess the canadian went from :canada: to :canadasmile: . i did sell a 300 to two canadian brothers last winter for $600. it was in imaculate condition. not a scratch on it ..... and yes i do have regrets
I Farm! YouEat!
77 Liquifire 440 (2)
77 Cyclone 440 (2)
76 Cyclone 440
77 Cyclone 340 (2)
82 TrailfireLX 440
85 SS440 Yamaha
78440liquid

Post by 78440liquid »

I notice the date stamp on the photos is 2007. What do they look like now? :lol22:
SpitfireKing

Post by SpitfireKing »

honestly...if you list sleds like those for that high of a price it means 1 of 2 things...you have no idea what the actual value is, or you have no real intention of ever selling it.

I was at a yard sale once and I was talking old sleds with a guy and he HAD to show me his old Merc....it was a cool late 60's model in pretty good shape, so I asked him what he wanted.....he said he had turned down $3000 a year before...I said nice sled and thanks for the look....when someone's ready to sell they will either come down to earth, or what happens is they die and then the family dumps the sled for $100 on a bargin bin....how the world goes round
[
Liquifire 4/6

Post by Liquifire 4/6 »

Ten minutes ago, I had a guy from Hyas, SK call me up to see if I'd be interested in his "mint condition" 644 Merc. I told him I didn't need any more boat anchors but I was curious about what he wanted for the sled. I damn near laughed when he told me he wanted $2000.00. That makes that 300 Deere seem reasonably priced....lol
Peter from Roblin, Manitoba
jdrob

Post by jdrob »

OMG now he is talking snow twister prices ?? hahaha i really get tired of people trying to pull this BS so out right tell people now ! your beeping (bad word) nuts !! This sport is for FUN not to make money ??? Why does everything revolve around GREED ??? :sick2: :sick2: :sick2: :sick2: :sick2:
Jdrob

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." AE
SpitfireKing

Post by SpitfireKing »

Nothing wrong with making money at it, but if your going to do that then you have to do your homework on the business and figure out what parts and sleds are worth.....I'm a rookie and I still have a better grasp then 75% of the guys out there selling old crap.
[