cyclone brake cable reinstall issue

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
Hoppy

cyclone brake cable reinstall issue

Post by Hoppy »

So exactly how does one get the cable back into the grip so i can hook it to the new lever i just got? the only way i can see is to slip the cable into the little "slot" in the grip housing but the freeking thing wont go in. there just isnt enough room. it came out that way rather easy.................... :bonk: i tried sanding the slit down abit but still wont go. the grip doesnt appear to split or open up in any way. i tried prying with a screw driver but it isnt giving much and i dont want to brake anymore then there already is. also.....where the cable comes out of the grip is there supposed to be a groove, hole, anything for the cable to sit in?
its the simplest things that get me so stumped sometimes. but yet i can rebuild a wheelchair lift in my sleep.
harleysportster

Re: cyclone brake cable reinstall issue

Post by harleysportster »

Your over looking the obvious, just remove the pin that mounts the lever to the grip and then install the cable end into the lever.
'76 440 cyclone
'76 440 liquifire
'78 440 Cyclone
'75 JDX8 (sold to a member here)
'78 Liquifire(CrossCountry Clone)
'80 Liquifire(sold)
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

no......thats the easy part. i got that.

the cable seized up witout me knowing it. when i went to ride the after a few days i went to use the brakes and the lever snapped(it was badly craked when i got it) it was only a matter of time before it let loose. so i had to take the brake cable off the machine and with the help of some PB blaster the cable is moving smooth as butter until i get a new one. the cable on the end that hooks to the lever needs to go into the grip assy. abovious that the casing goes in but i had a hard time getting the actual cable in there. id be a complete dumbass if i caouldnt figure out how hook the cable to the lever itself.
just wondering if i simply push the cable in the slit of the grip(plastic).
harleysportster

Are you using an aftermarket cable? The cable should slide right between the slits in the plastic and the lead ball end fits into a pocket.
'76 440 cyclone
'76 440 liquifire
'78 440 Cyclone
'80 Liquifire(sold)
lwb140

Post by lwb140 »

hoppy wade here i had this very issue on my jdx 4 project i used a hack saw blade and just opened the slit up just a tick my gip slot must have been tapered out because the cable came right out but would not go back in without dome work once i opened it up a short curly one it all went right back togeaTHYer good luk wade
certificate recipiant of the 12 vintage challenge !! on a 78 liquifre 440,
certificate recipiant of the 13 vintage challenge !! on a 340/s
certificate recipient of the 14 vintage challenge !! on a 78 liquifire 440
joe forgot the certificates for the 2015 vintage challenge
crossed the start/finish line twice at the 2013 and 2014 I500 on a 78 liquifire 440
400brian

Post by 400brian »

a short curly one
Is that an official unit of measure? :roll:

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
JDT

Post by JDT »

Wade what have you been eating?
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
JD600

Post by JD600 »

400brian wrote:
a short curly one
Is that an official unit of measure? :roll:
I'm pretty sure i learned this one in Engineering School. I believe its a metric unit Brian! :lol22:
Dustin Elder
Salem, OH

Midmounts.... Lots and lots of midmounts...

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

wade, thanks for chiming in and making me feel better. i guess im nbot a complete idiot! LOL but yes you know what im talking about. i got it to go in last night after sanding down between the crack. finally one end of the cable popped in. with alittle WD-40 and the help of a flat blade screw driver the other end popped in and i was then all set to put it back together. I have to defend myself in a situation like this.........im a rookie. This us my 2nd year with sleds and every one of them is vintage. I work with hydraulics and electrical wiring everyday modifying vehicles for people with disabilites. I know this kind of stuff really well but gas engines.......well it was unknown for me until last year. that being said i know i ask some silly questions and maybe even questions with obvious answers. Im just trying to learn what i can from anyone who will help. i was once told "the only stupid question is the one you dont ask".
harleysportster

Hoppy, glad to hear you solved your problem. I guess I was lucky enough to have good used replacement cables and never had a problem.
'76 440 cyclone
'76 440 liquifire
'78 440 Cyclone
'80 Liquifire(sold)
lwb140

Post by lwb140 »

hoppy glad to hear you got it back together you obviously fallowed the key rule which is " dont break things by forcing parts " sometimes a large can of patients and a little wd-40 and a big deep breath will make things all come together as needed wade
certificate recipiant of the 12 vintage challenge !! on a 78 liquifre 440,
certificate recipiant of the 13 vintage challenge !! on a 340/s
certificate recipient of the 14 vintage challenge !! on a 78 liquifire 440
joe forgot the certificates for the 2015 vintage challenge
crossed the start/finish line twice at the 2013 and 2014 I500 on a 78 liquifire 440
JDT

Post by JDT »

Hoppy the key is willingness to try and fix it.

You tried and you did it.

How's that old saying go.... Better to have tried and failed than never tried at all.
Followed closely by... It was already broke so what have I got to lose?
And finaly.... I don't know what I did but when I put it back together it worked like new.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD