I just bought a Polaris 3-wheeler!

For hobbies other then snowmobiles.
Blown 331

I just bought a Polaris 3-wheeler!

Post by Blown 331 »

I'm more of a 3-wheeler guy than a Polaris guy but after many years of searching and negotiating I finally got a 1985 Polaris Scrambler.
It had been sitting awhile but after cleaning the carb and fuel petcock and installing a new fuel line, filter and battery it's running great!
These pics are still showing years of dirt from sitting and I'll be sure to get some new pics when I clean it. I think it's going to clean up great. Even has a title. It also came with NOS front and rear plastic and forks, not that I need any of that. Everything works and it's in great mechanical condition, paint on the frame etc is nice, wiring not cut up, brakes work great, all lights and indicator work etc. I have a bunch of 3-wheelers and this is easily one of my favorite. Years ago we had a 1988 and a 1989 Trailboss and they were less than reliable. We had horrible luck with them actually. I think my family thinks I'm crazy for buying a Polaris after the experiences we had but I love this thing. I'm off work tomorrow and can't wait to ride it. I would easily buy another if I ever find one. Does anyone else on here have one? Here's the dirty pics. What do you guys think?

John Deere 1980 Liquifire 440
John Deere 25S straight shaft weed eater
JDT

Re: I just bought a Polaris 3-wheeler!

Post by JDT »

Better hang on this.

They are very rare.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
jd_decalguy

Post by jd_decalguy »

what todd said!!
they are super rare and very collectible! i would hang on to it and keep it nice could bring you some nice coin if you wanted to sell it! :clap: :clap:

jddecalguy
chris
Chris Dotzler
Palisade, MN
to many old sled...so little time!!!
AirborneX4Special

Post by AirborneX4Special »

I used to have 2 different Yamaha three wheelers. That thing looks very familiar, especially the front assembly and controls. Even the indicator lights are the same as Yamaha used. Any chance the machines are related? In the first picture, only the front end was visible until I scrolled over, so I thought someone had squared up with a Yamaha Tri - Moto. Interesting find!
Blown 331

Post by Blown 331 »

I know how rare it is. I've been looking for one for a long time. I plan on taking really good care of it and keeping it forever!
AirborneX4Special wrote:I used to have 2 different Yamaha three wheelers. That thing looks very familiar, especially the front assembly and controls. Even the indicator lights are the same as Yamaha used. Any chance the machines are related? In the first picture, only the front end was visible until I scrolled over, so I thought someone had squared up with a Yamaha Tri - Moto. Interesting find!
You are correct. Polaris released the 4 and 3-wheeler at the same time but the 4 wheeler was designed first then they designed the 3-wheeler from the 4-wheeler. The front end is Yamaha. The forks, brake levers, triples and even the front fender! I have had 7 Yamaha 3 wheelers but currently just have a 1985 TRI-Z. The ones I have gotten rid of are another 1985 TRI-Z, pair of 1983 YTM225DX's, pair of YTM175's and a YTM200E. This Polaris front end is the same as the 225DX's. How do you scroll over to see the full pic? I can't figure out why only half of my pics show on this site.

Here's a cleaned up pic.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Just click on the photo to see the whole thing.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
Blown 331

Post by Blown 331 »

I can't believe it. I found another one! Both run great. I love these things.

daisydukers

Post by daisydukers »

Just bought up a yamaha tri-moto 175. Body etc. is in great shape, started on the 2nd pull, can't wait to get it home. I paid $300 for it, tempted to buy the other one the guy has as it is the same year, model etc...just for a parts trike...

Hopefully bringing it home this weekend if everything works out like it should...

The only thing it needs is the tow hitch package...
spitfireguyII

Post by spitfireguyII »

That is sweet man I'm a huge 3 wheeler guy to. I no were there is one of those a town over from me but he won't sell it. I have a 85 Honda big red 250 I bought off the original owner. And have owned 5 different yamahas and about 30 of the Hondas. Love the ATCs!!
currently own: 83 sprintfire
80 spitfire (basket case)
have owned: 78 spitfire
80 spitfire
77 300 green machine
80 liquifire
Blown 331

Post by Blown 331 »

Three and couning! :dance: