1980 Liquifire Project

This is where you can post the story & photos of your John Deere Snowmobile project.
johnnycyclone

Re: 1980 Liquifire Project

Post by johnnycyclone »

I thought about giving you a call to see if you were available for some lunch, but I was on a tight schedule. I had to be back by 4pm, and with it being almost 4 hours one way, that meant no extra time for stops. I left at 7:30am for Cicero, and rolled back into town at 4:10pm. Indiana now has one less PWC/Jetski on the lakes. :D Next time I get down that way, I will make some time to stop by...
Deerenuts

Post by Deerenuts »

Easy Don! I was going to offer but you guys had to get back to Indiana??? Like you stole something????? And was being chased……….
johnnycyclone

Post by johnnycyclone »

Quick update on the project. We ran into a little problem this week. When the sun hits the tunnel you can see a lot of tiny tan specks in the paint. I loaned out my gun to a family member and I don't think they cleaned it very well. Anyway the tunnel has been sanded down and we will be shooting paint this weekend again, this time with a clean gun.
johnnycyclone

Post by johnnycyclone »

Well we made a little progress since my last post. The tunnel was sanded down and repainted, this time with a clean gun, and that makes a world of difference. The clear coat went on nice and smooth this time, so no wet sanding is needed on the tunnel this time. The bulkhead is joined once again with the tunnel, and the new decals are on. It looks pretty sharp so far. I can't work on this full time just yet, I have a few more jobs to do around the house before winter, but hopefully we can get some more work done during the week after work....Terre
Attachments
rsz_1img_4404(1).jpg
johnnycyclone

Post by johnnycyclone »

Gearing up to get back on this project soon. We are quickly running out of time before the snow flies. I did manage to get the suspension torn down, and I hope to get it over to the powder coaters by Friday. I also prepped and painted the TPR panels. So not much to see just yet, but hopefully things will pick up next week.
rsz_img_4440.jpg
jeffreyrempel

Post by jeffreyrempel »

Very nice work. Beautiful paint job. So much to do with so little time. I know the feeling. Keep up the great work. :canadasmile:
I wanted to write something witty here.... but I got nothing.
1972 400
a572mike

Post by a572mike »

Looking good! I wish my 83 was an 80, that's what my dad rode when I was a kid...
Current:
1983 Liquifire
2012 Ski Doo Summit SP 146 800R E-TEC

Past:
2003 Ski Doo MXZ Renegade 600 HO
1983 Trailfire LX
1991 Polaris Indy 500 SKS
1982 Trailfire LX
1978 Arctic Cat el Tigre 5000
johnnycyclone

Post by johnnycyclone »

a572mike wrote:Looking good! I wish my 83 was an 80, that's what my dad rode when I was a kid...

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. My brother bought one of these new when we were kids, and that may be why I love these so much. Although, I really like the orange on the 83 and 84 models, for some reason I like the looks of the black tunnels on the 80 more. It's just personal preference I guess. Don't give up, they made quite a few of the 80's so maybe you will have one someday...Terre
johnnycyclone

Post by johnnycyclone »

Here's a quick update, this one isn't dead yet. After a short break, we're back at it. I got the bulkhead cooler in along with the tunnel protectors. The track has been studded with 46, .750 carbide studs. The suspension parts are back from the powder coaters and the ski's are just about ready to go back on. I will take some pics once some more progress is made.....Terre
johnnycyclone

Post by johnnycyclone »

Made a little more progress tonight. I was able to get the tail light in, rear grab bar, snow flap, ski's and the main bracket, along with the steering assembly, is just about in.

The skis aren't the best on this one but they will have to do for this year. As a summer project I would like to add the plastic ones, but will have to see how the money looks. I already have another project sled planned for next summer.

More later...Terre
Attachments
rsz_img_4520.jpg
cledussnow77

Post by cledussnow77 »

Looks great Terre I started puttin my scorpion together today and got about as far as you are now so doin good on it . I have a Trailfire LX sittin next in line to start on when it is done :beers; That will probably run into the spring then I have an 80 LF to do and the paint on the Cyclone . Keep up the great work , looks awsome . :usa: :letitsnow: :letitsnow:
Nothing Runs Like A Deere
johnnycyclone

Post by johnnycyclone »

Progress is pretty slow on this one, so I have to pick up the tempo real soon if I want to ride it this winter. I have been distracted on the 82 Spitfire I have been working on. I did find an exhaust for the sled, thanks Dustin, but USPS decided to make some minor modifications to it. They almost ripped the one bracket off and put a nice dent in the side for me, so it's not usable anymore.
rsz_img_4522.jpg
On a better note I did get the handlebars back from the plater's today. I used Reckon plating, which is the one Don uses, thanks Don. I think they turned out awesome, and am glad I spent the $70 to get them done. I plan on putting in some extra time on this one this weekend, so I can catch up with Sean :D .
Attachments
Handlebar2.JPG
Handlebar.JPG
427cobra

Post by 427cobra »

How the heck did the USPS manage to rip that bracket off.... :bonk:
Eric A.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid" - John Wayne
johnnycyclone

Post by johnnycyclone »

Finally made some progress on the project today. Dug a fuel tank out of the shed, and did some major cleaning on it. After several coats of back to black, it looks pretty nice. I finished it off with a coat of ArmourAll and some new decals. I was also able to get the engine in it's mounts and bolted in. Added a set of carbs (VM38's), along with the fuel line, and the radiator with the support are installed. Tomorrow I will be changing out glow plugs in my truck, so I probably won't get anything done. Well it's time to order some more parts from New Breed Parts, forgot a few things I need. Look for an update later in the week.
Attachments
IMG_4536.jpg
IMG_4540.jpg
nick80lf

Post by nick80lf »

:popcorn:
80 Liquifire (purchased 1996 ~ Running)
80 Liquifire (purchased 2010 ~ Running....Now)
80 Liquifire (purchased 2011 ~ Not running - I officially have a problem now)
83 Snowfire (purchased 2014 father/son restoration project)
78 Spitfire ~ sold (should have been shot for this)