Spitfire Scoop Stripes??

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
mctavish.95

Spitfire Scoop Stripes??

Post by mctavish.95 »

I just brought home this 80 spitfire for a parts machine. There are these stripes in the scoop of the hood (below the engine) just wondering what they're about or if they were added after production.
The photo file is to big or something so ill take another one but they are gold stripes with a silver background if that makes sense?

PS When i went to look at the sled it was because the guy said the track was good and it was but it is the wrong track for the sled. The track fits but they had to move the stock suspension ahead about an inch but at least they kept the stock drive cogs. I really dont think the suspension had to be moved forward since the track is pretty loose. Will get a track number soon and find out what machine it is for!
80spitfire

Re: Spitfire Scoop Stripes??

Post by 80spitfire »

It sounds to me like somebody added the pinstripes that they put on the 81s. I'm not trying to question your knowledge, but are you sure it's a 80 not an 81? The easiest way to tell is that an 80s tunnel is painted silver, while an 81 is semi polished aluminum. Also on the 80 the Spitfire decal is under the scoop, so to speak, on the right side and on the 81 it's on the left side. Here's a pic of my freshly restored 80 for you to look at. I hope this helps you out.

I just realized that this picture was taken befor I put the Spitfire decal on the hood so I don't know if it helps or not lol Here's one of me and the sled at Waconia with the decal

72' 500 Restored
74' 295/S Unrestored
75' 340/S Rider
76' Liquidator Restored
77' Liquifire Rider
80' Spitfire Restored
mctavish.95

Post by mctavish.95 »

On the tunnel the sticker says it was manufactured late 79 (not sure the exact month) but somebody could have easily switched the hood sometime in its life. Thanks for the info
80spitfire

Post by 80spitfire »

Yep you definitely have a 80 then. Have fun with it they're awesome little sleds.
72' 500 Restored
74' 295/S Unrestored
75' 340/S Rider
76' Liquidator Restored
77' Liquifire Rider
80' Spitfire Restored