Engine Timing

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kasasaki motors
81 spitfire

Engine Timing

Post by 81 spitfire »

I am have reassembled my kawi 340 with new seals, gaskets, pistons and rings, but am confused on the getting the correct timing. I know that I am supposed to set it at 22 degrees before TDC, but I am not sure how to make sure the engine is at TDC to do the aligning. There is a mark on the stator assembly that I have lined up with the mark on the flywheel marked F. There is another mark on the flywheel marked T which I am assuming is the mark for TDC. Is this correct?
mwking

Re: Engine Timing

Post by mwking »

"The timing mark on the stator should align exactly with the flat on the extended portion of the bottom crankcase half" according to the tech manual. Check out the tech manuals on Vintagesnow.com to see the pictures. You just have to align the mark on the stator with the flat on the case and you're done (other than tightening down the stator screws).

Murray
'84 Liquifire,'84 Sportfire, '83 Sprintfire, '82 Spitfire, '82 Trailfire LX, '80 Liquifire (2), '80 Sportfire,'80 340 Trailfire, '79 Spitfire
81 spitfire

Re: Engine Timing

Post by 81 spitfire »

Thank you Murray,
I did get it to fire up and run through some trial and error, however it is not set with the marks lining up with the crankcase half. I will check out that manual and read up on it. I will also try it set lined up where you stated and see the results.