84 EBAY LIQ

For Sale/Wanted topics - John Deere only!
Forum rules
Classified Posting Guidelines:
#1: JD snowmobile and related items only.
#2: Please do not post negative opinion comments about an item or PRICE. The only replies should be legitimate questions from interested parties.
Horicon Joe

84 EBAY LIQ

Post by Horicon Joe »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-Joh ... 19d800fa80

Anbody know if it has the original TR800 clutch on it?
Please add your Real Name in your User Profile or at least your first Name!
motoXman

Re: 84 EBAY LIQ

Post by motoXman »

Looks a little rough I thought for the mileage?
1980 Liquifre 440 survivor
Horicon Joe

Post by Horicon Joe »

I kind of thought the same but can not be sure because the pictures are not the best. It must have sat outside for some time with the
temp gage faded. A good picture of the track would tell the story.
motoXman

Post by motoXman »

I'd still take it. The 84 is a rarity and I'm sure it would clean up. Definitely needs a GOOD go through and clean up. A few years ago there was a VERY VERY nice restore 1981 LF in Barrie Ontario, $2500 he was asking I regret not buying it. If I was a betting man I'd say he's a member here, maybe someone knows the machine? I kept a picture of it somewhere, I will see if I can find it.
1980 Liquifre 440 survivor
TASKY

Post by TASKY »

I really dont think they are as rare as most people think. Sure 420 is a lower production number than most but it is still a large quantity when you divide it up into the snow belt states and Canada and leave some for misc areas. I would bet you there are more than 15 in each of the snow belt states and provinces. I wish I knew more about statistics and probabilities. Dont get me wrong the 84 Liquifire is one of my favorites but not because of its "rarity."
Horicon Joe

Post by Horicon Joe »

I would bet there are twice as many surviving Dators out there than the 84 Liq. Reason being the Dator had some collector value and prestige from day one.
Nobody knew how many 84 Liqs there were until about 8 years ago. For that reason they were more likely to end up in the scrap heap in my opinion.
I have seen only about six 84 liqs in person compared to at least 25 different Dators over the years of collecting. Just sayin ........
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

This sled is a nice survivor and the seller (a good board member) doesn't claim any different. I totally agree with Joe W that a nice 84 is more rare than a Dator. Quite honestly I'd love to have this sled but I'm still holding out for an 83, just something I like even better than an 84.

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
jdrob

Post by jdrob »

Hey Guys I don't mean to disagree or agree with everyone ! But I do agree with Tasky there have been several 84 LF's suface in the last few years ! As far as Dators go if there is so many out there they must be west of me b/c there not in this area anywhere ! In the past 5 years I have found 2 10/81 sprintfires and they ARE the RAREST John Deere sled built ! Just a fact that out of all the 84's the liquifire was the most common ! Its seems to be more sought after b/c of the more powerful liquid engine. Just my personal prefrence but I own only 1 84 LF and the only reason I do is b/c they were an 84 model ! I would much rather wrench on a sporty or trailfire any day of the week ! just my .0314 cents :lol22:
Jdrob

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." AE
RLFollman

Post by RLFollman »

Thanks guys, I took few more pics just for you today outside in some better light.

- The track and suspension are in very good condition, shown unwashed and uncensored.
- Yes it has the original TR800 clutch
- All original except for the seat cover and windshield. This is a very straight original and unmolested sled.
- Hood is in good condition, no breaks, has chips/scratches and two small cracks in front of the gauge pod.

According to John Deere records, two 1984 Liquifires (ser# 274 and 277) were sold to Delta Faucets in Indiana in December 1983 (thanks Brad!). I don't know why Delta Faucets would buy snowmobiles, maybe an executive perk, but whatever the reason the sleds didn't get used much and just ended up sitting.

I'm not the original owner but the third owner, though technically the second owner just bought them and resold them to me right away. Both are unrestored and obviously not perfect, but they're still nice 30 year old pair of sleds that are unmolested and haven't been beaten up.
Attachments
xsIMG_1386.JPG
xsIMG_1388.JPG
xsIMG_1406.JPG
ljm

Post by ljm »

Nice Sled.. sure wish I lived closer.

Do all the TR 800 clutches have a clutch gaurd like that?

Thanks
Lloyd
Several Deere's
Several Kawasaki's

ACSCC #1534
DeereKid9

Post by DeereKid9 »

ljm wrote:Nice Sled.. sure wish I lived closer.

Do all the TR 800 clutches have a clutch gaurd like that?

Thanks
Lloyd

All of the 80 series LF's that I have owned, even without the 800 clutch have had that guard on it. Or at least cut to have the additional piece that bolts onto it.
Always remember-Any parts leftover is money in your pocket.
1976 Liquidator - I 500 raced by Jim Zimmer
1980 Spitfire
1982 Liquifire-Last sled my son helped me work on. He did most of the motor work.
1984 Trailfire
2007 Ski Doo GSX 500SS
Horicon Joe

Post by Horicon Joe »

Nice sled .... those are the kind of pictures that will fetch the big money. Track looks excellent! Did both of them have electric start?
RLFollman

Post by RLFollman »

Thanks Joe. Yes, they both have electric start. And handwarmers.
I500

Post by I500 »

Nice sled Randy......You couldnt build one for what the current bid is at. Somebody is going to get a nice sled. Good Luck
The S Man

Post by The S Man »

Good luck to you! I had 2 84s' and one 83. I love those things. But we can be honest in saying there is little difference in the two. For me it came down to the decals and appearance.
Also in my dealings the thing is only worth what someone will pay no matter how cool or rare it is. I would love to have another just cant swing it right now. I am finally down to 3 sleds now. 295/S, 75 JDX 6, and my morphidite 80 liquifire triple.....
She thinks all my jokes are corny,Convict movies make her horny
She likes ketchup on her scrambled eggs, Swears like a sailor when she shaves her legs.....John Prine