Trailfire LX questions - new rider

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
ford141

Trailfire LX questions - new rider

Post by ford141 »

So, I'm looking forward to getting my new 83 Trailfire LX ready for the snow. I'm new to these machines, and to sleds in general, so go easy on a newbie...

First question: How does the windshield attach? When I got the sled the windshield was on it, but not attached. There are no retainers with it either. What kind of retainers do these use and how do they work?

Second: My wife wants to ride with me on the Trailfire for short rides when we go to camp this winter. I'd like to get her a backrest to make the ride a little more comfortable. Where should I look for a backrest? Did JD ever put a backrest on these machines?

Third: I'd like to install a tach since my sled doesn't have one. Anyone have one they would like to sell me? Can they just be plugged in?

JDT

Re: Trailfire LX questions - new rider

Post by JDT »

The windshield is held on with O-rings. You stretch them over the tabs from underneath.

Used a heavier o-ring like 1/8" and an ID if around 3/4".

Backrests were an option on all JD models. There are two backrest kits out there. A wide track kit only fits the 73-75 JD 600's.
The other kit fits all other JD models. Installation requires not drilling or cutting. It just bolts right on. Looks and works well.

The option tach kit is plug and play. NOS ones are available. Install is very easy. Drilling the hole is the only tricky part.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
ford141

Post by ford141 »

Any idea where I could find one of the backrest kits? Are they available new?
JDT

Post by JDT »

There is a member here who had kits. tasky is the handle.

Try posting in the classifieds.
That is a nice clean looking LX you have found.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
AirborneX4Special

Post by AirborneX4Special »

The o - rings tend to break easily, especially the ones that come with a new replacement windshield. I use black zip ties.
If you want to ride two up, I would recommend a passenger seat strap. It attaches to the tunnel on both sides and your sled appears to have had one given the indentation on the seat. Like the backrest, they are out there if you need one.
Looks like a pretty nice ride you have there from the picture. Probably needs crank seals, especially if it's been sitting for a while.
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

Todd is of course correct in all his answers. I tend to use zip ties to hold the windshield on, as I don't have the best of luck with O-rings staying put. I just zip them around the narrow part of the tab and trim the excess.

Tach kits are not hard to find NOS (New, Old Stock) and often show up on eBay. Back rest kits can also be found NOS or used, suggest again ebay, Bill Tasky or the classifieds on here.

General things that should be checked and/or replaced if original include chassis and idler wheel bearings, crank seals, all oil and fuel lines, especially the in tank pick up filter and line, etc. Todd authored a comprehensive list of items to check on a "barn find". All this preparation helps avoid walk homes and break downs. Knowing if these things have been done can have a very positive impact on your enjoyment level of these old girls.

Nice looking Trailfire by the way.
-Joe Rainville
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
ford141

Post by ford141 »

Thanks for the help guys. As you mentioned, I will be doing crank seals as soon as I get the time to tear it down in the shop. My shop is brand new and I'm still finishing the inside, so as soon as I get that done this will get torn down so I can go through it. It is super clean, and I got service records for it as well, but no mention of crank seals being installed, and the last registration was 2011, so I better get new ones in it. It has a lot of new fuel lines on it though, and fires easily on the first pull, so overall I think it's pretty tight. 1500 km on it currently.
It does have a good seat strap on it already too, it was just detached in this picture since the seat was loose and just sitting on it. I'm really excited about it and I'm digging the old original style.

I'll try to track down Bill Tasky on here about a back rest.
ford141

Post by ford141 »

So I picked up a used tach for my trailfire. It has a 3 wire plug on it, but I can't see where to plug it in. Can anybody show me a picture of where to plug it in? Or where to find the plug?

Sent from the backwoods
deerehunting

Post by deerehunting »

My trailfire is a 1980 but should be the same as far as the tach I'll post some pics of the plug location when I get home from work.
discus

Post by discus »

I have a NOS backrest kit for that sled. If you are interested send me a PM.