Here I go again

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kasasaki motors
Mr. Deere

Here I go again

Post by Mr. Deere »

Ok so i put the recoil back on and try to start it. It will pop and run a little then die. My dad came down and said he thinks it was choking out. Set the chokes at 1.25 WITHOUT THE BRASS WASHER. I put on my new tach and sure enough the old one was junk. It starts and wont idel but if you get it up to 3500 and let it sit it will drop to 3000 for about a second or 2 then just fall to nothing unless you feather the hell out of it. It is about 60 out here today. Also I pulled my airbox off and found some milk in the carbs and air box so im thinking i need some new head gaskets. Thanks for the Help. BOB
BOB From MASS
OWN: 1 1983 JOHN DEERE LIQUIFIRE 440
1 1973 JOHN DEERE JDX8 440
1 1982 JOHN DEERE SPORTFIRE 440
1 2000 SKIDOO MXZ 600
GOTTA LOVE THAT TWO STROKE SMELL
bob15

Here I go again

Post by bob15 »

First, reset the chokes to 33 mm. Being on the longer side is better than being too short because you are sealing the choke orfice and not keeping the plunger off the seat (too short, causes choking of the engine with too much gas). Tech manual page: 30-10-07

Brass washer: not required for proper operation

White teflon washer on needle: is it there?

Slide valves: Are they in sync and adjusted per manual?

60 ?F: much too warm

Milk: what color is the anti-freeze? Are they the same? Anti freeze getting into the airbox is quite hard to do, next to impossible to do if the sled does run. What color does the gas look like? Actually, it sounds like you have rain water mixed into the gas when you were working on it over the summer.

bob
When in doubt, I'll whip it out. I got me a rock 'n 'roll band. It's a free for all.....The Nuge

Make it three yards m*****f-er and you've got yourself an automobile race...James Taylor
Mr. Deere

Here I go again

Post by Mr. Deere »

Gas is a greenish color. Its pre mix. Also the milk is in the carbs and the airbox because of spit back. Yes my washer is there. Made sure i bought two when i rebuilt them. How is 60 too warm we run the other ones in the summer months no problem. Thanks BOB
BOB From MASS
1 2000 SKIDOO MXZ 600
bob15

Here I go again

Post by bob15 »

Read your fine tume manual as to the temp range for jetting. Snowmobiles aren't the best performers at 60 when they are jetted for 0-32 ?F. It isn't a cure-all, but the temp doesn't help the cause.

What color is the anti-freeze? What does the milk smell like? Do the plugs have milk on them? Do you have a radiator pressure tester or can you borrow one from school? Pressurize the system and see if the pressure drops fast and look for leaks at the same time.

Fix the choke length.

bob
When in doubt, I'll whip it out. I got me a rock 'n 'roll band. It's a free for all.....The Nuge

Make it three yards m*****f-er and you've got yourself an automobile race...James Taylor
bubsy

Here I go again

Post by bubsy »

I was having the same type of thing happening, it ended up being my air screw on the carb, i turned it in 1 turn out instead of the 1 1/2 turns and it runs awsome know
Mr. Deere

Here I go again

Post by Mr. Deere »

Ok I can get the tester to check the heads i never even thought of that. Plugs are clean didnt smell the stuff. Also my screws are 1.5 so Ill try 1. Thanks BOB
BOB From MASS
1 2000 SKIDOO MXZ 600
ICCSF 108

Here I go again

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Bob , Before you screw with the air screws you first have to determine if your rich or lean. are you sure the idle circuit in the carbs are clean??? do you see bubble in the fuel line moving toward the carbs at the idle. to check for proper pilot jet/air screw settings when running at idle lift the chokes (once you have choke cable adjusted properly) just a little if it runs better you will have to turn the screws -in- to richen the carbs & or visa versa. The problem with trying to help you on-line is where do we start??? is it a carb problem?, a fuel problem? (Green Fuel = a lot of extra oil), or a what the ???? problem?,
I hate to remind you of this, but this was put together without the use of a service manual!!!! SOOOOOO where do we really begin. call me & I will try to help you
612-325-8527 or email me with your phone number & I'll call you.

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
Danzig

Here I go again

Post by Danzig »

bob15 wrote: First, reset the chokes to 33 mm. Being on the longer side is better than being too short because you are sealing the choke orfice and not keeping the plunger off the seat (too short, causes choking of the engine with too much gas). Tech manual page: 30-10-07

Brass washer: not required for proper operation

White teflon washer on needle: is it there?

Slide valves: Are they in sync and adjusted per manual?

60 ?F: much too warm

Milk: what color is the anti-freeze? Are they the same? Anti freeze getting into the airbox is quite hard to do, next to impossible to do if the sled does run. What color does the gas look like? Actually, it sounds like you have rain water mixed into the gas when you were working on it over the summer.

bob
White teflon washer on the needle?? needle??

I have never seen this on my carbs, can you explain this a little clearer?

I have 2 redish looking teflon washers inside each carb.......is this what we are talking about?
1973 JDX8
1978 Liquifire 340
1980 Liquifire 440 CC Racer
1980 Liquifire 440
1982 Liquifire 440

"Gotta Lick It Before You Stick It"
ICCSF 108

Here I go again

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Danzig, "White teflon washer on the needle?? needle??"
On each jet needle on some of the sleds under the "E" clip is a white teflon washer that sets into a groove in the Throttle Valve.
In my Liquifire Parts Book PC1742 it's number 5 & called a gasket.

Kenny
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
bob15

Here I go again

Post by bob15 »

Sorry, I missed the "under". Without it the needle will sit too low.

bob

Danzig

Here I go again

Post by Danzig »

In the tech manual I think this gasket is listed as part #5 on page 30-5-3.

I do not have these gaskets what so ever on either of my carbs. I have the clip set at position #3. How important are these gaskets? Can I simply change the clip setting on the needle to compensate for this missing piece?
1973 JDX8
1978 Liquifire 340
1980 Liquifire 440 CC Racer
1980 Liquifire 440
1982 Liquifire 440

"Gotta Lick It Before You Stick It"
ICCSF 108

Here I go again

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Danzig I would say yes, But if you sled works good where it is don't bother moving them. I'm not really sure why they are in there as not all the sleds use them.
Rich - Wildfire II any input on why there there?
Kenny
Mr. Deere

Here I go again

Post by Mr. Deere »

Hey Ken I haven't touched it since Thursday and probably wont till tomorrow around 3:00. I know its a little rich. There is an air bubble in the Lines at idle there always was until it runs a little. Why would it just die like that. My plugs still are new looking. Not black at all. Just a little burnt tip is all. I am thinking I am going to need new Head gaskets. Still need to talk to rich. BOB
BOB From MASS
1 2000 SKIDOO MXZ 600
ICCSF 108

Here I go again

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Bob email me direct ump45-nt@swbell.net or call me @ 612-325-8527
Damn getting so bad I don't know my own email, it's right now

Kenny
Mr. Deere

Here I go again

Post by Mr. Deere »

Ok I will tonight after my days findings. BOB
BOB From MASS
1 2000 SKIDOO MXZ 600