81LQ...no spark

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kasasaki motors
IBLEEDGREEN

81LQ...no spark

Post by IBLEEDGREEN »

Hi, got a 81 lq, had spark and ran when I picked it up this summer, pulled it into the garage yest. to get it rideable and no spark.

tried new plugs right away, kill switch, key, unplugged the switch,....no dice.....any tips on where to go next on this one, I don't have any tools for testing any electrical componants.

thanks
ICCSF 108

81LQ...no spark

Post by ICCSF 108 »

It could be a bad CDI box, but I think i would try more of the little cks before purchasing a new box, Ck your grounds, (Have you moved anything on the sled in the past year where you might have taken a bolt out in the engine/engine compartment that held a ground & you missed reinstalling it??? etc.) unplug & replug in the CDI connections such as from the motor to the CDI & from the CDI to the Coils, a few times, to get a good connection, check the wiring harnesses to make sure a mouse hasn't chewed through it someplace & it is grounding out on the chassis or handle bars ect.

Just a few procedures that can easily be done with no expense....

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
grasscutter97

81LQ...no spark

Post by grasscutter97 »

Maybe its just the 80 liq's that I've had, but there is one connection that always has given me trouble. It is a triangle shaped 3 prong connection that attaches to the block, right about where the coil is attached. Check it out. I ended up putting a little zip tie around it and problem gone.

You can also unplug the engine from the sleds electrical system. This will eliminate all the misc switches.
IBLEEDGREEN

81LQ...no spark

Post by IBLEEDGREEN »

found it! It was a little ground wire above the recoil....thanks guys and Happy Holidays

Semper Fi