The Conception of ETD

JRC ETD

The Conception of ETD

Post by JRC ETD »

In the spring of 1976, Dad called a meeting at the house on a Saturday with Don Carl, Don Schuberg, and myself! I was asked to do some homework prior, what would be the internal objectives for a winning race team, have a forced ranked list of the best independent drivers from Deere dealership backgrounds and be able to defend the list. There would be no pro's hired to race!! Have in mind a central midwest location to build a shop that allowed good snow and quick access to the races. Explain the biggest challanges of winning a CC race, and finally how the team should interface with Horicon. Don Schuberg was asked how to organize all the races into 1 sanctioning body, the ICSSF with the same rules and the wisest race director would be the President, Don Carl was asked to put a independent driver program together, a racing marketing strategy (Green Streak) parts, media, driver and tech support, clothing, adds, ect. The first driver chosen was Bob Enns without debate, the last driver chosen was Brian Nelson with discussion as he didn't have Deere dealership affiliation. Willie, Ron and Craig followed in the middle. The Brainard area was chosen quickly for shop and housing location being in the central part of MN. Much more later..........JRC
WinnipegStPaul9

The Conception of ETD

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

I'm as excited as the rest of you to hear the rest of this story. I hate to give away endings though but I have to tell you that no one from Indiana was chosen to participate on the team. Something about the only experienced Indiana driver was too old and too slow..............LOL DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
JRC ETD

The Conception of ETD

Post by JRC ETD »

Comparing the hits to this post vs to Covers and Spitfires it appears I'm transmitting ETD or racing history nobody is interested in hearing about ? Doc Jim on chat room....................? JRC
Matt

The Conception of ETD

Post by Matt »

JRC, keep in mind every time someone replies to a topic, everyone views it again.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
grantnelson00

The Conception of ETD

Post by grantnelson00 »

I'm reading and listening Jon. It's just good manners for me to be quiet when a legend is in the room.
Liquifire84

The Conception of ETD

Post by Liquifire84 »

JRC,
I enjoy reading your posts. I want to learn more. You are a wealth of knowledge and wish I could learn everything that you have in just one finger. I am a willing student and sit at attention waiting for more. Thank you for sharing some of your lifes storys with us.

Brice
JoeRainville

The Conception of ETD

Post by JoeRainville »

Hi Jon,

Trust us, the only thing we are waiting for is more to read! Please tell use more, we live for this kind of stuff!

-Joe
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
400brian

The Conception of ETD

Post by 400brian »

Jon, there won't be as much give and take on a post like this, after all; who can argue any of it with you?

;)

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
Cabindweller

The Conception of ETD

Post by Cabindweller »

I know I am new aroud here, I really enjoy reading what you post.
Please tell more. This information fascinates me.

Jerry.
Old sleds are hours of entertainment.... then you get to ride them for a little bit.
ICCSF 108

The Conception of ETD

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Jon, it's always good to hear what we didn't know back then, Keep up the good work,

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
ICCSF 108

The Conception of ETD

Post by ICCSF 108 »

I believe The Zutz bros rode Polaris the year before & possibly before that also..

Kenny
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
ICCSF 108

The Conception of ETD

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Maybe were talking about two different bros. with only the first letter in the last name being different???? The Zutz Bros (Loren & Ron) that I know, were from around Warren MN.

Kenny
Jack Frost

The Conception of ETD

Post by Jack Frost »

Jon please keep the stories coming! This is the most interesting stuff I have ever read about John Deere and what went on behind closed doors, or in your kitchen.

Many thanks.
Dave Lenson

I still feel funny calling you Jon and not Mr.Carlson.
1978 340 CC Liquifire
I once bought my kids a set of batteries for Christmas with a note on it saying, toys not included
Jack Frost

The Conception of ETD

Post by Jack Frost »

Rich is all that information from memory or do you have it written down? I can't even remember what I did yesterday!

;)

Dave
1978 340 CC Liquifire
I once bought my kids a set of batteries for Christmas with a note on it saying, toys not included
I500

The Conception of ETD

Post by I500 »

Just to clarify that the Zutz brothers were not brand specific and loyal to Deere. They raced Polaris in 75, 76, and 77. Deere in 78 only. Loyalty award goes to Ron Reimer in my humble opinion.