Riding lawn mower troubles!

For hobbies other then snowmobiles.
Spitfireguy

Post by Spitfireguy »

I just picked up a white lgt 1655. its in ok shape but is complete. the engine how ever is not doing what its supost to. you can turn it backwords spins fine but as soon as you try to turn it over it locks! if you move it back and forth it will go a bit farther forward but this still does me no good. I have never seen anything like this on an engine befor. has any one ever seen this or no what it could be? the engine is a 16 hp twin. it is not a v-twin the pistons are alined out the left and right side.
JDT

Post by JDT »

It may only be a broken recoil that prevents it from pulling over.

:o
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
Spitfireguy

Post by Spitfireguy »

there is no recoil on lawn mowers with eletric start. anything else you can thing of?
MARK

Post by MARK »

Check the starter to make sure it's not locked up and the drive gear turns on the armature shaft?? Mark
Spitfireguy

Post by Spitfireguy »

the starter is not locked it works fine. this machine has only bin sitting for 3 years and it ran great when it was parked.
Mr. Deere

Post by Mr. Deere »

Make sure the starter worm gear isn't catching on the flywheel preventing it from spinning. Move the engine by hand till it locks then try cranking it over. BOB
BOB From MASS
OWN: 1 1983 JOHN DEERE LIQUIFIRE 440
1 1973 JOHN DEERE JDX8 440
1 1982 JOHN DEERE SPORTFIRE 440
1 2000 SKIDOO MXZ 600
GOTTA LOVE THAT TWO STROKE SMELL
Spitfireguy

Post by Spitfireguy »

no matter what you do with the starter or buy hand it locks and there is nothing visual stopping it.starter is out of the way. I am going to take the fly wheel off and see if i can see anything stopping it. wish me luck
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Pull both heads & make sure both pistons are moving up & down, sounds like a broken rod to me.

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
Spitfireguy

Post by Spitfireguy »

both pistons are moving side to side like they should. I guess i hafta go right into her to find the problem. guess ill start tearing the engine out.
Mr. Deere

Post by Mr. Deere »

Make sure its not binding on the bottom pulley. I would pull the flywheel off first. BOB
BOB From MASS
1 2000 SKIDOO MXZ 600
Spitfireguy

Post by Spitfireguy »

everything is clear on the bottem to. it does the same thing if you turn it by the pully. I am about to pull the fly wheel off but its an 1 1/4 socket and my dad has those tools locked up.
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

OK if the pistons are moving like they should, How about a stuck valve?? that is only letting the cam come around until it hits that valve??

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
Spitfireguy

Post by Spitfireguy »

all 4 valvues go in and out at the right time. and the fly wheel is stuck on there good. gonna need a heavy duty puller.
Mr. Deere

Post by Mr. Deere »

Huh thats strange it doesnt have any type of brake on it that prevents it form moving. I know some mowers have this. Also maybe the coil came off and wedged itself under the flywheel. BOB
BOB From MASS
1 2000 SKIDOO MXZ 600
colt250ss

Post by colt250ss »

I have one of these motors that you can have if you are near NY. I could ship it but it would cost a lot of money. I would probably vote for a coil stuck to or to close to the magnet. I am willing to send parts if needed, just pay shipping. Forrest