serial number questions

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
340s

serial number questions

Post by 340s »

Hi Guys,

Just want to confirm a lucky find with you guys on a 340/s I bought from a member on this site:

Is J340D 030012M the 12th sled off the line? If so, man I'm lucky on that one.

Also, I don't know much about starting serials for the '73jdx8 but my serial is JDX8 010056M. Can anyone tell me which one off the line that was? Did the serials for this start at 010000? Probably not, but doesn't hurt to ask those in the know!
Thanks a lot,
Craig

:)
400brian

serial number questions

Post by 400brian »

Craig

The '73 JDX serial numbers started at 2,551 and went to 20,000.
( according to SM 2100 ).

On the 340S.......they started at 30,001, and with that low a number, I wouldn't be surprised if you had a factory team race sled.

Come on, spill your guts, what is the story on that sled?

;)

Is there a signature written in weld bead on the frame member that the ski spindles are mounted in?

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
340s

serial number questions

Post by 340s »

Hi Brian,

Thanks for answering. I bought my Liquidator, 340s, and 295s from 'kioritz' on this site. He gave me some info on the 340s but I think he wasn't given too much info from the guy he bought it from. It does have Iowa registration stickers on the side. Tonight I will check and see if I can find any name anywhere on the sled.

I am just getting into JD sleds and my mechanical knowledge has a long way to go but visually it MAY have been a race sled for one possible reason. Someone at one time had put twin pipes of some sort on it. There is a hole drilled in the aluminum pan not far in front of where the right footrest is. There is also other evidence of some cutting and welding mods done under the hood at one time. It looks as though things have been switched back to a stock set up now though.

Maybe 'kioritz' will post some info here since he knows more about the sled than me. But I am ecstatic since the 340s is by far my favorite Deere sled and I am happy to have this little baby with that serial on it.

At any rate I will post a couple of photos later and see what all of you think.

Thanks,
Craig
WinnipegStPaul9

serial number questions

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

Good find but it was not legal to run "twin pipes" in the I500 (unless the sled was produced that way) so if it had the pipes it would have been for another reason. DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
MARK

serial number questions

Post by MARK »

Craig, your 340/s IS NOT a consumer sled, nice find

;) Mark.....
Jack Frost

serial number questions

Post by Jack Frost »

How many sled would have gone to a factory team during a race season?

Will be waiting for those pictures Craig.

Dave
1978 340 CC Liquifire
I once bought my kids a set of batteries for Christmas with a note on it saying, toys not included
400brian

serial number questions

Post by 400brian »

I think Jon has mentioned a number once, but I can't recall for sure.

Every driver had a race sled, and a practice sled, and I would think a few spares for the group.

I'm thinking they got at least the first 20 off the line, and probably a few more after that.

Ed, Jon, anybody?

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
Wildfire II

serial number questions

Post by Wildfire II »

Brian. To the best of my knowledge the team did not get the first sleds off the line. It was well into the build. Jon has his sled and would like to know what his ser. # is. I will check my number as it is a team practice sled. Mark--what is non consumer sled? There was only one 340/s. The team was sent the same sled a coustomer would buy and then made all the legal modifacations at the team site. Independent racers would also be given all same info the team had. Jon!!!! your number please. My number is 30934 ED
340s

serial number questions

Post by 340s »

Here is the serial and some pics I promised. Really blurry but you can make out the 12M at the end. 873 miles on the speedo so maybe it wasn't raced?
340s

serial number questions

Post by 340s »

Kind of looks like a bit of a hack job. Not sure what the deal was here. See the holes drilled right below the right footrest.
340s

serial number questions

Post by 340s »

Here is another pic
340s

serial number questions

Post by 340s »

Just thought I'd throw one in of the whole sled. Iowa stickers on it. No, the JD beer facilitator in the back (I mean BBQ) wasn't included from 'kioritz'.

;) I can't wait to get the re-popped tool boxes and get the seat and tank done. 'Kioritz' had a real nice sled here. I now do know the registered owner's name from Iowa and I'd like to post his name here and see if anyone happens to know any background info about whether he was etd or along those lines. Does anyone have a problem with that as far as privacy is concerned? Matt, your input is appreciated on that issue when you have a minute please.

Thanks,
Craig
WinnipegStPaul9

serial number questions

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

Craig, if it wasn't raced, it was certainly prepared to. Note the extra idlers in the middle of the suspension. Those were added and.....would you PLEASE send me a picture when the suspension is removed so I can see how we mounted those idlers. Secondly, see if the holes in the pan doesn't match the chaincase bolts for fast removal. We put similar holes in ours so we could put a speed wrench on the bolts from the outside. Actually we used thumbscrews instead of bolts. Hope I didn't confuse you. You really do have something there, just don't know what. Don
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
TASKY

serial number questions

Post by TASKY »

From what I have seen of the sled the holes were where the stingers might of exited. The sled at one time had a egt gauge mounted on the handle bar.

Me and Kioritz, and Fabio picked this sled up in Iowa from a youngman at 5:30 in the morning for Greenxcracer. We where enroute to pick up my 340/s in Debuque. Dropped the first 340/s off at Greenxcracer's and picked up a 295/s for me. Then came home. I later talked to Greenxcracer and he informed me that he was willing to sell the very sled we had dropped off. I told Kiortiz who had located some nos 340/s motors near Chicago. A deal was struck so we stopped back at Greenxcracers on our way to Illinois.

The 295/s you acquired may have a very interesting history as well. I mean before Kiortz and I brought it out of obscerity. If rumors are true I would start with John Carlson.

Good Times TASKY
kioritz

serial number questions

Post by kioritz »

Craig, It did have a head temp. gauge(NOT exhaust temp.) mounted on the handlebars when I got it, but one side was not functioning(not to mention the wires were bare) so I took it off. It also has the front pivot(swingarm) shortened and the highest gear ratio available in the chaincase, 2.06:1(17 tooth upper and 35 tooth lower). This info. may help decipher the sled also . Jason