1972 Electra 225

For hobbies other then snowmobiles.
Decker

1972 Electra 225

Post by Decker »

my 72 electra has a 455, with a knock. joke around the house is it purrs like an asmatic kitty. haha. :lol22:
anyway it comes and goes, just wondering if anyone had any sugjestions on what to try.
thanks
nothin smells better than a diesle in the mornnin cept mabey a 2 stroke
JDT

1972 Electra 225

Post by JDT »

If the car is in good condition I would get it fixed. It is a Classic land yacht.
And there is no comparison for a 455 except maybe a 500 Eldo 8.2 litre. ;)
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
Decker

1972 Electra 225

Post by Decker »

i plan on possibly keeping the car if i can get it fixed for a resaonable pirce, i was wondering ifanyone knew of these knocks and any tricks to get rid of them
JDT

1972 Electra 225

Post by JDT »

The trick to removing a BB knock is to pull the offending rod out and replace it with a new one. And as long as you are in there do the other 7.
Also renew the oil pump and flush the passageways.

I have had several of these GM mills and they are great engines. They do not like to run above 4500 rpm though and if they were ever rodded that may be the cause of the problem now.
As the miles accumulated the valve springs would weaken and cause the valves to float out about 4200. This was a good thing as it would prevent any damage to the engine.
Also keep your eye out for a new cam GM #400019 This will grab you 40 extra horses. It was only used on one model in production and that was the 1970 Toro GT.
There are sources for aftermaket performance parts that you can make a Stage II or III engine if you want a real sleeper. And if funds are not a problem.

Is this a sedan or HT?
Last edited by JDT on Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
JDT

1972 Electra 225

Post by JDT »

I have a T-Bird 429 listed on ebay that ends tomorrow.
Search 1970 Ford Thunderbird
Last edited by JDT on Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
Decker

1972 Electra 225

Post by Decker »

its a ht, and its out of virgina and hasnt seen a cny winter, so its clean too.
JDT

1972 Electra 225

Post by JDT »

I will post some pics of a 71 225 tomorrow.

Depending on how you set up the Q-jet you can actually get 20 mpg or going to the other extreme you can go looking for Vetts. The torque the engine is capable of is amazing.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
Decker

1972 Electra 225

Post by Decker »

or i could sell it buy a vett and go looking for other vetts to beat on
JDT

1972 Electra 225

Post by JDT »

Yes but even the cheapest Vette (early 90's) is going to set you back a lot more than fixing your engine.
And then there is the question of style. While everyone notices a Vette they will drool over a nasty Buick with a slight rumble at idle and a set of Tru-Spoke wire wheels.
Plus a when you go crusin' for chicks you have room for more tham one. :)
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
Decker

1972 Electra 225

Post by Decker »

very very true, although this buick wont cruise, its gonna prowl baby.
i have talked to some other people, who have a little, well, alot less green in their blood and they seem to think its a carbon knock, and pouring a quart of trans fluid down the carb at 3 grand or so will clean it right up, however, if thats not the issue and its something else im conserned that at that rpm and with an added conbustable what ever is wrong might go really wrong and blow the heads thought the hood and a rod throught the block, leaving me with 7000 lbs of scrap metal in my drive way.
JDT

1972 Electra 225

Post by JDT »

7000 lbs? What are you picking up... fat chicks?

I would try the solvent deknocker but not under power.

This safer method will take you a dew days but will not risk further damage.
Remove all plugs and add solvent until it runs out. Let it sit 24 hours and refill. Wait another day.
Then crank engine by hand (with a ratchet slowly) for several minutes.
Imeadiately drop the oil and filter. Flush the heads through both valve covers to clean passages.
When you get clean solvent out the pan than drop the pan and clean the gunk out of it. And there will be gunk in there so don't skip this step.
New pan gasket, oil and filter and reinstall plugs.
Now you can start the engine on it own power. It will smoke but it will soon stop.

I witnessed a 350 go bang in the parking lot of the Walmart in St Cloud MN a few years ago. Some kid was dumping a bottle of something down the carb of his Caprice while his buddy held the engine at 3/4 throttle.

It only took about 30 seconds and kapow. Tow truck time.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
The S Man

1972 Electra 225

Post by The S Man »

The 225 is my favorite car. I have a vette and still lust after a 72 buick 225 electra 2 door. I want one bad!!!! Yea Vettes are cool but not as cool as a 225! I have wanted to build a 225 for years but it is hard to find a good 2 door. A friend of mine has a built 225 for the street, well you can run it there anyway. Very cool lifting the drivers tire on launch! Build it for NOS, some 3:73's in the rear and you have a all around sleeper. Somethiung you can drive anywhere and still shut down some of those kids!!! I have built several cars but never a boat....

Ron
She thinks all my jokes are corny,Convict movies make her horny
She likes ketchup on her scrambled eggs, Swears like a sailor when she shaves her legs.....John Prine
JDT

1972 Electra 225

Post by JDT »

Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
Mr. Deere

1972 Electra 225

Post by Mr. Deere »

Get rid of the Quadra Bog and throw and Edelbrock on there. Also with the cleaning use Seafoam. What you do is put it in the gas tank then run it in the oil for like 10 miles then come home Disconnect the Brake booster line and feed it into the engine slowly Once you are almost out Jam the tub all the way down to try and stall the motor out. As a fail safe have some one in the car to turn off if it doesn't stall. You can use it down the carb while its off or its Sister Product Sea Foam Deep Creep. Reconnect and Change the oil Probably wouldn't hurt to go synthetic depending on if it will leak or not. Let the car sit for a Hour or so the more it sits the better it works. Start it up and take it for a Spirited drive. It will smoke like a bastard so make sure you wont offend anybody when it starts up. DONT LEAVE IT IN THE OIL FOR ANY EXTENDED AMOUNT OF TIME!!! IT THINS THE OIL WAY OUT!!!! I know its a Mustang but it gives you an idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X832d4MtYUc&feature=related
BOB From MASS
OWN: 1 1983 JOHN DEERE LIQUIFIRE 440
1 1973 JOHN DEERE JDX8 440
1 1982 JOHN DEERE SPORTFIRE 440
1 2000 SKIDOO MXZ 600
GOTTA LOVE THAT TWO STROKE SMELL
JoeRainville

1972 Electra 225

Post by JoeRainville »

Decker,

My first car was a 73 Electra 225 that I drove in HS and at RIT for a while. It was finally retired with about 350,000 miles on it. My 3rd car was a 71 Buick Centurion 455 powered. I just scrapped out the 71 before the wedding, but kept the 455.

I understand what you guys are talking about with cleaning the motor, but I really don't agree with it. I wouldn't pour anything in the oil or gas to try to band aid the motor and deffinately NOT a quart of ATF. I am not saying cleaning solutions won't help, but I doubt they will fix any knock problems long term.

If you suspect a "carbon knock" (what is that anyway?) try checking the timing and/or running higher octane fuel first. My 71 needed to run on 88 octane even with the "new for 71" 8.5:1 compression ratio and even had a sticker to remind you. I think they pulled out more cam in 72 and again in 73 before adding a cat in 75, along with HEI ignition, so the later cars probably are OK on regular unleaded.

If I remember correctly, the 71 even had hardened valve seats tollerant of unleaded gas. I know the 73 was OK with it.

If you have a rod knock as it sounds, pull the motor and at least replace all the bottom end bearings. I would at least replace the rings and hone it while there. That should not break your budget at all. If you have the cash, go with an HEI, overbore higher compression pistons and a nice mild cam. Dual exhaust is a must with 7.5 liters of displacement.

The quadajet is fine up to about 450 or so HP as it flows 800 CFM. The problem becomes that the fuel bowls are kind of small and will eventually limit as you increase the power. Spend your money in places that solve your problems, not creat new ones.

If wanting to build big power, dual and single plane aluminum intakes and various stages of aluminum head are available aftermarket from T/A performance.

Good Luck, and I hope this helps,
-Joe Rainville
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.