Carb Swapping 80 LF vs. Invader 440 ??

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
sparcat

Post by sparcat »

I am trying to get my 1980 LF running, that has a 79 Invader transplant engine. I have rebuilt the engine, and am installing it this weekend, trying to bring it back to life.

Thanks to all who have gotten me info, and parts to bring the sled back to life, but since it has a different engine than originally came with the sled, I am not sure what carbs to use.

I have the set, that came with the sled, but pilot jets, and power jets, don't match the Invader specs. I have also purchased a set of 1984 LF carbs. Before I fire the engine, I need to make a decision on what carbs to use.

I read somewhere in another post, not to use the LF carbs on an Invader engine. I think JD Ranville may have been the one to post that statement. I have alot of respect for all of you guys, are Deere fanatics/restorers, and know the history, and want to know why not to swap carbs, to make the right decision.

I have been working on snowmobile engines, and sleds for nearly 40 years, but I don't have alot of experience with this Kawasaki Liquid 440 engine, and the differences between the LF and Invader engines.

I just want to do it right, so if anyone can help me out here, I appreciate and will thank you in advance for your help.
Matt

Post by Matt »

It would be logical to set up the original carbs with the factory Invader jetting and tune from there.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
sparcat

Post by sparcat »

Won't the use of the stock Liquifire exhaust make a big differece?
Dator76

Post by Dator76 »

watch for cracks on the magnets on the inside of the flywheels on the deere ign. theyre just glued in. ive never done the invader ignition but i know the flywheel has rivits in the magnets. i also know you cannot mix and match deere and invader internal ign parts the deere engines are detuned from kawazaki but i dont know how much. heads, ignition and carbs are different. i was told the first 80 liquifires had a carb update also. they made too much hp for deere.
Thanks,
Ted

3 Liquidators
1-340/S
1-295/S
1-78 Cross Country Liquifire
Gave away-sold-swapped:8 Liquidators, 78 C.C. Liquifire, 340/S, 295/S, 84 Snowfire, 82 Liquifire, 80 Liquifire, 78 440 liquifire, 77 Liquifire.