Make A Wish Project 340/S kickoff

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
clackinator

Make A Wish Project 340/S kickoff

Post by clackinator »

Jack Palokangas delivered the Make A Wish 340/S to my shop on Monday. I'm going to be putting some photos of it up along with all the donated parts soon. We need to figure out a good date for a tear down and who is going to be taking responsibility for what components. I will be doing the chassis work and the paint work has been donated by my local body shop guy. Anderson Customs have done lots of painting for me and it will be excellent work.

Mercdiver will be doing the engine work. It is tight right now. Jack Palokangas thinks he has the correct set of pistons for it and some other items like the foot grips etc. The actual tear down will not take us very long. GP had already removed the engine, so that is in a separate box already. The skis look pretty good. I think they will restore very nicely.

I wanted to throw a couple of dates out for the tear down. So far, I am thinking either Saturday June 20th or June 27th. Any thoughts? Everyone is welcome to come and get their hands dirty......Of course the fridge is stocked with beverages and we can do a BBQ again, so nobody starves.

So far I have gotten parts from many people including Joe Rainville, 400Brian, Don Amber and others. Also, there has been a cash donation from Jekyll that will go towards food or paint supplies. Thanks to all that are pitching in!! Does anyone know the status of the seat work?
grantnelson00

Re: Make A Wish Project 340/S kickoff

Post by grantnelson00 »

Justin,

you have a message
GRant
400brian

Post by 400brian »

Justin

As I've said before, I'm willing to rebuild the idler wheels, shine them up and replace the bearings.

I'd need everything, ie: the old bearings have reducers in them, so I need the old bearings even if all there is left is the inside race.

If you look in the FAQs, you'll see I've done this before.

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
clackinator

Post by clackinator »

Brian, that would be great if needed. Jack Palokangas thinks he may have a set of NOS idlers. It would be great if someone wanted to take the suspension, blast it, reassemble it and get it ready to bolt in.
clackinator

Post by clackinator »

One more thing I just thought of. The track on the machine is beyond help. Does anyone have a line on a decent track for it? Even if the cleats need blasting and painting, as long as the belting is not shot.

Forgive me if this has been posted, but if anyone has a Ditzler or PPG paint code for the green, that would be helpful.
jdsledhead

Post by jdsledhead »

From the "group" 340/s restorers point of view, the rear suspension will most likely take much work to complete. The shafts on these can be very hard to remove(like any other I guess) the rails and arms have common stress points that tend to crack, something that needs to be kept in mind with whoever gets that project... The shocks will be hard to find NOS, so aftermarket would most likely be used. There is no exact replacement so minimal bushing fab is nessasary to mount new ones. (I believe it is a Polaris skid shock that works) ...
400brian

Post by 400brian »

Both of my 340S suspensions came apart easily. However, Troy's required the use of a saw, and some new shafts fabricated. Troy can give the PN of the shocks he used, NOS are very rare.

Justin

The three idlers across the back, are the same as any other slider Deere of the era. The fronts are unique to the 340S. The optional wheel kit, which this sled seems to have at least part of, used another set of the fronts, and a cut down pair of rears.

The suspension weighs a TON! I'd be hesitant to ship it out, because of the cost and risk of damage.

The rails typically require welding/reinforcing, because they tend to crack.
We can give some tips to who ever gets the rails.

'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress
JDT

Post by JDT »

Justin the 20th will not work for me as I will be in Texas.
However the 27th is good to go.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

Hi Guys,

I got a good long look at the 340/s at the HOF Classic Sled Round Up, and talked to "GP" (Garage Philosipher) about it for a bit. It's a big project, but with the "Divide and Conquer" attitude, I think the crew can do it. Buy restoring a Deere sled, they are honoring Deere as the featured sled of Waconia, and bringing more attention to Deere CC racers. I think this is a good thing for all of us.

GP let me know that any and all help is appriciated, and to consider this 340/s an open invitation for assitance from the JD sled collectors.

Don has donated a hood, and trucked it to Kevin Campbells in MI. I hauled it from Campbell's to the HOF and donated a 340/s tool box and NOS parts. Brian offered his idler wheel restoration expertiese and parts. I think Kenny donated a flap and I think someone took care of the rings.

I will continue to show my support and donate NOS parts and whatever technical assistance I can. I hope the rest of us with 340/s knowledge chip and help this 340/s to "Run Like a Deere" again!

-Rainville
Attachments
Waconia 340s 24-May-09.jpg
Last edited by JoeRainville on Fri May 29, 2009 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clackinator

Post by clackinator »

I have a conflict on the 27th so it looks like the 20th is the date. Sorry JDT.

Brian....the engine is out of the sled and you are right, that suspension must weight a lot. It is a heavy machine even without the mill! Pete Mindermann did the suspension on the Ski Doo we did for Waconia last year. It was a BIG job and we really appreciated his efforts. He has volunteered to do this suspension as well, although it was somewhat "lukewarm".

Ok, so June 20th it is. We can start around 10am if that works for everyone? I'll see if I can get eman to bring the grille again and we can burn some meat. My house is pretty close to Blueberry Pines Golf Course in between Menahga and Park Rapids. If you want to Mapquest it, my address is 11499 129th Ave. Menahga, MN 56464.

Mike Knudson.....if you are out there, any chance we could get some of those same brats as last time?? They were unbelievable!
clackinator

Post by clackinator »

Ok, here below is a link to a gallery of photos from the minute the machine arrived at my shop. Where to begin??!! :bonk:

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/22103543
clackinator

Post by clackinator »

Further info.....

Project 340/S Make A Wish "Fear the Deere" tear down day and BBQ near Menahga, MN. All are welcome to help, the date is Saturday, June 20th 2009. Kickoff at 10am. We will be grilling brats and getting things organized and torn down for the sled build. A great opportunity to help out with an excellent cause. This will be the machine offerred at auction at Waconia this year with all proceeds going to Make A Wish. We want to follow up the success of last years blizzard build. My address is 11499 129th Ave. Menahga, MN 56464 if you want to Mapquest directions. I'm within 2 miles of Blueberry Pines Golf Course just off Highway 71 between Park Rapids and Menahga. Cell number is 218-252-4682. See you then!

PS....If anyone knows of a source for a good track and/or exhaust system, please let us know.

Here is a picture of the donor board I am keeping up to date....thanks for all the donations and help!!!!!!!!

[img]http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1 ... .jpg[/img]
400brian

Post by 400brian »

Unless the exhaust is smashed, figure to have your sheet metal guy fab one around it.

These are hard to find.

73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'78 Spitfire in progress
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

Clack,

I just picked up a few more 340/s parts today thanks to Aaron Z. Included was a spare pipe, but not the muffer can. I may also be able to help with the track. I didn't take a real close look at the one on the sled, are cleats torn out, or just need replacing? I do have cleats and rivit kits from Deere too.

Please have your motor guy contact me if he would like, if that one is trash, I might be able to provide parts. I am looking for a muffer can too...

Good luck guys!
-Joe Rainville
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
clackinator

Post by clackinator »

Joe, I see one cleat is torn out and missing for sure, I have not rotated the track around to inspect all of them yet. We will have a close look at it on tear down day. I have fixed tracks before and made a jig to sandblast the cleats and repaint them. I think this one is just too borderline to do that with.

As soon as we get the engine torn down I'll post up the results. It is froze tight right now, I'm not sure what we are going to find. I'm sure you will be getting a call though!!