Vintage Challenge JD Sled support Vehicles

deerefanatic

Vintage Challenge JD Sled support Vehicles

Post by deerefanatic »

Hi guys.. I'm some behind the times here.. was reading up on the Vintage challenge.... I for one would be more than ready for it, as I put 91 (gps verified) miles on my sled new years day... A couple of broken cleats shut me down, but I was still able to limp home.. :)

Alas, I won't be riding at the VC due to the expense of entrance..... I see there is a need for support vehicles though. I would be willing to volunteer my diesel pickup and flat-bed trailer to use as support.... I'd also be able to bring some basic tools along to help with repairs as I'm pretty mechanical.... Plus, I have enough gas cans to haul about 25 gallons of gas, so I could take care of keeping everyone in supply with pre-mixed fuel....

I plan to ride at Waconia, so this is my opportunity to give back to the sport.... Anything I can do to help out the other brave souls undertaking this would be my delight. I would have a cell phone and GPS to help get to folks.

One other idea I had was whoever you get for support, the group leaders should think about getting some of those GMRS walkie-talkies as they have good range and would be a great way to communicate with support teams.

I live 2.5 hrs far from St Germain, so this would work well for me... Maybe Joe Rainville or someone else could get ahold of me and let me know if there's still need for this.....

PM me and I'll get you my cell # and we can talk.

-Matt
pjr

Re: Vintage Challenge JD Sled support Vehicles

Post by pjr »

I have planned on being there riding a support sled on the trail to help out if I can, as I'll be riding my wife's 1997 Yamaha Venture 500 L/C 2-up, long track sled. It has a HUGE storage capacity for gas, parts, tools or whatever and it can tow a lot of weight if need be. :sled:

I'd ride a vintage sled with everyone else, but my lower back (L4 & L5 disc) will absolutely nOT take the pounding I get from the older, low-travel vintage suspensions. :cry:

PJ
Matt

Post by Matt »

Matt, that would be a HUGE help. Contact Loren at the Hall of Fame and let him know your available.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
deerefanatic

Post by deerefanatic »

Alright. I'll contact him..... This oughta be fun!

Do we have any JDSleds.com stickers, etc? I'd love to plug for the forum while helping out! :)
Matt

Post by Matt »

I don't have any decals at the moment, maybe I can get some.
deerefanatic

Post by deerefanatic »

Whatever.... No biggie......
deerefanatic

Post by deerefanatic »

It's coming folks..... It's coming....... Only 8 Days left!!
deerefanatic

Post by deerefanatic »

Well, The Vintage Challenge was surely a Challenge this year! I'm just not sure who it was more of a challenge for: The riders, or the support vehicles! :)

After the wonderful GPS units and lack of knowledge of the terrain, we ended up "going sightseeing" down some private road where poor Rich (TakeItTotheLimit) got stuck not once, but TWICE! After Ken pulled him out once, then I pulled him out again! We never did make the first gas stop as they were to Fish Tales before we got ourselves out of that mess!

All in all though, we DID make it back with just shy of an hour to spare (ok, well, Ken and Angie did better, I was somehow the last guy back even though I had a head start :bonk: ) and I think everyone still enjoyed themselves more or less... :beers;

So, some ideas for next year:

1: Get road maps for the support drivers that show routes via the road to the destinations. I could take care off this if given some head notice.... In fact, I may do so here soon while my recollection of the route is fresh on my memory.

2: It may be a good idea for the HOF to invest or try to get funding for a "snowmobile hauler". I'm thinking of about a 25 foot gooseneck flatbed that is double-decked with a hydraulic tilt on the upper and lower decks.... Think a miniature car hauler semi-trailer for snowmobiles.... If made about 8'6" wide you could put two rows on each deck....

-Matt
Matt

Post by Matt »

Here's a big THANK YOU to Matt, Kenny Heins & Cari Rainville for running the support trucks. They had their hands full!
deerefanatic

Post by deerefanatic »

Don't forget Rich (TakeIttoTheLimit) and Angie (never got her last name.... Her hubby was riding in the VC)
Matt

Post by Matt »

Thanks Matt, I wasn't sure if Rich was running support or on a sled, I heard it both ways.
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

Matt (Deerefanatic),

Nice to meet you this weekend, and thanks for helping out with the support vehicles. As for the trailers, I think we need to continue to supply them on a volunteer basis. For example, Kenny Hiens offered his truck, and I loaned out my trailer. For next year, if I don't have a new trailer yet, I am going to have fold up transport shelving so we can easily drag more sleds into my trailer, but hopefully a larger trailer too.

I totally agree we need maps and directions for the support drivers in a packet ready to go before the ride. I will make sure this happens for next year. Please feel free to send me any directional help you can to my home e-mail at: joerainville@hotmail.com. It was Cari's Garmin that took the team down a seasonal road that was only a mile away from Cisco Lake. I would also like to have support drives lined up before with enough time to get there cell numbers on the VC maps.

Angie Stafford is Nick Staffords wife. Nick is part of "Team Rowland" and rode the Mod 75 Z. Cari said Angie was a great help too.

Thanks to our support drivers for making the 2010 Vintage Challenge a much improved event! Looking for volunteer drivers for next year. My truck and trailer could be available, but I have a manual tranny.

Thanks again!
-Joe Rainville
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.