Throttle block ideas

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
I500

Throttle block ideas

Post by I500 »

Anybody do anything with replacing the 80,s style throttle block with a more updated assembly?... I went thru 3 OEM throttle blocks and destroyed them all. I do have a sled that i bang on maybe a little to hard but these blocks are not holding up at all. I thought about epoxing them on but really dont want to do that. Only thing from keeping them from slipping is a little set screw..............Any ideas that anybody has tried?
SKNOWCAT

Re: Throttle block ideas

Post by SKNOWCAT »

73 Polaris Starfire Aluminum throttle block.
Steve T.
Sprailfire340

Post by Sprailfire340 »

Chuck - I think I'm going to try one of these...
http://www.wahlracing.com/product.php?p ... ck=srclick

Also I think the newer polaris IQ racers use an aluminum throttle block.
:sled: ME
SKNOWCAT

Post by SKNOWCAT »

Looks like a nice option to me Mitch. It looks like the throttle flipper is plastic but if you ever break that they sell replacement parts.
Steve T.
JDGuy

Post by JDGuy »

Chuck: They broke back in the day and the survivors break today....either at the set screw or at the thin section just below the kill or bright/dim switches. My fix was glue them (3M Scotch Super Strength Adhesive, 6004)) and then epoxy and screw on aluminum plates. Takes some cut, drill and file. Spray black, not noticeable. Survived two vintage challenges, plus some other rides, so far so good. Sorry about the poor pic, taken some years ago with early digital camera. I don't know this for sure, but I have suspected they don't like WD-40, commonly used for cable and switch lube. Some plastics don't like it and this may be one?? Use countersink head screws.

Guy
Attachments
DSC00225.JPG
AirborneX4Special

Post by AirborneX4Special »

They're just a weak piece of plastic. I've even used a hose clamp cinched on the bottom side to get by. Talk about ugmo....
I500

Post by I500 »

Thanks Guys for all the great feedback. I will get to work on these..... Leaving for 4 days for the Live on Skis event in International Falls from Vintagesleds.... Doc Jim was trying to locate the 73 Starfire block to try first.
jdrob

Post by jdrob »

Hey guys I have no idea what the heck your baging on these throttle blocks with. But I just wrap a heavy rubber band around the throttle lever to hold it "WIDE OPEN" all the time. If I need to stop I just throw the kill switch.. Its sorta like Cruise control "Ba%%$ to the WALL all the time. I get in trouble I just bail,fake leg and all..
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: All seriuos I habe never broken an fire series block. Now the older ones is a different story !! :bonk: :trackdown:
Jdrob

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." AE
JDT

Post by JDT »

HP used to carry two long throw blocks with levers. Both aluminum blocks, one with a steel lever and one with plastic.
Less than the Wahl's but sure look the same.
Todd Schrupp

Milbank SD