A Liquidator, Leubner, the I-500 and Me...

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

So I take off from the starting line, getting used the updates on the Liquidator. Due to my late arrival, this is the first time I’ve thrown a leg over it with the new wider and taller handle bars, softer shock valving, and clutching updates. I did wish I grabbed my glasses, as I can only really focus about 20 feet in front of the sled. Anything closer is blurry, anything farther out is fuzzy. This will make this race ‘interesting’.

While trying to focus on the track, I was concerned that Adam might not have made it to the line in time, long with trying to get a feel for a sled and it’s many updates. A few minutes after leaving the start in Goodridge, a black blur flies by me - my Liquifire. Yup, Leubner made it out just in time. Soon after I came upon a scene probably familiar to Wade Bennet from 2014, a racer climbing back on his 80 Liquifire. Adam had gotten carried away and had a slight get-off in a rough section. He was fine and waved me on.

One thing I noticed, and somewhat expected, was that the wider bars gave me seriously cold hands at -25. The wider Cat bars stick out a lot more than the repop CC bars we used last year, so I had to pull over and tear open the first set of hand warmer packets on the corner of the aluminum throttle block. Adam re-passed me while I was doing this, hell bent to make up time.

We found the ditches were rough in places from the 100+ new race sleds tearing through ahead of us, but they also chopped up the snow so the ditches were somewhat soft. And as we were about to find out, much smoother than the Red River. I think I was told either 45 or 65 miles of the 125 mile loop was on the river. Sounded good at first, as last year it was fast, smooth and hard. NOT this year. With the heavy snowfall and drifting, the river ice was pushed down and water had saturated the deep snow on top. This made for a rough, sloppy and choppy ride with long stretches of slush, even in these cold temps. Steve Tabor summed it up afterwards when he wrote words to effect of “wallowing a Dator in the slush is no fun”. At least I had a moderate lug, all rubber track to help power through it, and as it went on, I learned how to attack the slush puddles better with more speed. But they still sucked. However, the thought of burying the Dator in the middle of the river was very motivational not to screw it up.

About half way to the gas stop, I came up on Adam unfortunately stopped on the side of the river. The Liquifire had let us down. The Cat 4-idler rear axle that I’ve run since 2010 had let go and broke, releasing track tension. I doubled back to make sure he was OK and continued on. He was able to get some help dragging the sled off the course until a tow sled arrived sometime later.

There was some relief from the rough river riding where the course was marked back up into the fields and ditches for a while. There was this crazy back and forth marked in one huge field to “add mileage” to the course where there must have been 6 to 8 or 10 switch backs in a row. You would make it across this long field, only to be sent back again and again. It felt like “Ground Hog Day: The Race” but once through that and a few more fields I finally saw a sight as welcome as could be: I made it to the gas stop!
Attachments
Liquifire Let Down
Liquifire Let Down
Last edited by JoeRainville on Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

Pulling into the gas stop on a John Deere always seems like its own little victory to me. Partly because it’s a milestone of the race, partly because Deere is about the only defunct sled manufacture to do it. Pulling in on a Dator felt pretty special, especially after only making it 10 miles into the race last year.

Funny enough, the two USCX track flagman stopping you at the entrance to walk your sled in both knew me, Dennis Bittman (E-Man from VS) and Dave Nehring, a Cat collector from SD. In jest, they bowed down, doing the “Wayne and Garth” ‘We’er not worthy!’ it was hysterical! Waking in while laughing in my helmet, it was great to see Dustin and Bill ready to fuel the Dator’s tanks. After filling the rear tank, Bill hooked me up with a Gatoraid and a long straw for some much needed refreashment. It was really nice to have folks gather around the sled, say hello, I think I even saw our own Chuck Moser stop by. A few folks took pictures even, including the one below that was posted on Facebook. I let Bill know Adam was out, but OK down on the river. They had already spoke on the phone, so Bill was already in the loop.

I should note that this was the only time I got off the sled since the starting line, and I hadn’t shut off the motor yet. I was thinking as I pulled out of the stop that if my shoulder holds up from last fall’s surgery, I don’t get too carried away, that I think this sled just might be able to finish.
Attachments
"PIT STOP!"
"PIT STOP!"
Last edited by JoeRainville on Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Honorary Tech Editor

JDXspec

Re: Liquidator Leubner, the I-500 and Me...

Post by JDXspec »

That last pic reminds me of how cold it really was out there. I made the mistake of taking off my gloves to better fuel the dator. (Note the gloves on the hood) It wasn't 5 minutes and my hands were burning and absolutely totally numb. Surprisingly Joe didn't complain once at the pitstop. I will say He was on a mission.
Own 74 295/s, 75 340/S, 800, 76 440 Liquifire, 300, Liquidator (3), 78 440 Liquifire, 340 Liquifire CC, 80 Liquifire, 82 Trailfire LX, 83 Sprintfire 84 Sportfire
400brian

Post by 400brian »

I will testify that the chemical heat packs are awesome. I have had a few of them in the pockets of my jacket for years, only twice have I had to use them. But they work, warm fingers in a few minutes whether you are on or off the sled.

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
jep_800

Post by jep_800 »

Just one geographical correction to note is the river they were riding would be the Red Lake River. The Red River is approximately 55 miles to the west which separates North Dakota from Minnesota. Minor change but someone reading it may think the course was in a totally different area.

JP
1975 John Deere 800
1975 JDX8 (VC Finisher 2019)
1976 440 Cyclone (VC Finisher 2022)
1974 El Tigre 440 (Sold)
1996 Arcitc Cat 440Z
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

Dustin,

First of all, "Thank You!" for once again volunteering to crew for us. We literally couldn't have done it without your support. I said to Dustin: "I don't know why you come back every year, but I am grateful that you do..." I think he said something like "I don' t know either" :lol22:

Guys,

He is right about the cold, I think it was still -10 or so when I pulled into the gas stop. My hands were darn cold, even with hot packs. But I had nothing to complain about; I was racing in the I-500, racing a Liquidator, and I made it to the gas stop after all. But I did have to have help from Nehring with opening the next set of hot hands as I couldn't do it. Needless to say the Dator will have bar warmers and hand protection next year. :brrr:

Thanks for the clarification on the river name Jason. I will have to correct the story and post a course map.

Thanks for replies and for reading,
-Joe
Last edited by JoeRainville on Mon May 20, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Honorary Tech Editor

JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

And now back to the race, already in progress:

With two full tanks, a still un-wreaked sled, only slightly worn out 49-year-old body and fresh hot packs in my gloves I left the gas stop both fearful and optimistic. Fearful of the course ahead and optimistic that I might see the ever-elusive finish line once more. With more than half the course behind me, I was pretty sure the Dator was going to hold up, but I was going to ration my energy, so I didn’t make any mistakes and had enough strength to bring across the line. I really would have liked to have gone "full out" for the second half, but I would have just ended up going over the bars or found a tree I didn’t need to tangle with…

The heathy dose of fear came to light very soon after the gas stop. There were a huge set of rollers that were several feet tall that were basically the top of a snowdrift through a narrow-wooded trail. It was one sled wide, and going off this roller coaster would have been like torpedoing a tank in a swamp. I came into it way too fast and luckily for studs, carbides and good brakes managed to get past it despite it not be a ‘pretty’ run. And I was glad no one saw that less than stylish little rodeo I had back there.

Then it was back down to the river for more of a beating, except for going into Thief River Falls proper. That is always a cool part of the race, as you’re in a pretty urban area and you can’t help but feel that your walking in the footsteps of giants. We were warned to slow down to 30 mph by the ice houses as someone would be checking speeds, but didn’t see anyone out there, and that was actually the only place the ice was smooth.

It was honestly a relief to get back in the ditches to the north, and finally be done with the choppy, hacky river ride. At least there wasn’t much slush as there was on the southern river loop. The ditches were generally not bad, as the snow was deep and pretty soft. There were some rollers and jumps and approaches to watch, but the terrain wasn’t too bad and I did my best to keep my speeds up. I knew I was getting near the end when I was flagged down a side road for a few miles to the south, only to be sent back north, to then continue west again, as I remembered seeing that drop down on the map. Then, finally a sign pointing to the right to the south to Goodridge! I headed down that ditch and once again saw a blue Chevy truck following me along. I figured it was either Maynard Peterson catching a few video’s or I had a stalker. Either way I was cool with it, LOL! What was nice was seeing folks stick their heads out of their trucks and take pics, waving and cheering me on. I tried to stand up and ‘put on a good show’ when folks were taking pic’s, but as I got more tired, I darn near biffed, so I had to be careful. Wrestling a 500 pound Liquidator for 125 miles is sort of tiring…

Somewhere heading west, Aaron Kennedy from “On the Plains Photography” snapped several pic’s of the Dator going by. I was pretty happy to see them posted on FB and contacted him to buy them all.
Attachments
Dator 303 Racing 9-Feb-19.jpg
Last edited by JoeRainville on Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Honorary Tech Editor

JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

After heading south toward Goodridge, and I assumed a pretty straight shot to the finish line, they actually end up sending you back west for a few miles through corn fields, then south past the pits before the course heads back west. By then I was dog tired. I had little to nothing left and just wanted it to be over.

As I am finally heading west again I see a kid pumping his arm very enthusiastically out a parked truck window. So I stand up and try to ‘give er some gas’ but I am pooped and don’t realize what the boy is so excited about until I pass his truck and turn to the left…and as I squint a bit I finally see it…TRAILERS. Lots and lot of trailers…

I freaking made it…the finish line is near! A little enthusiasm takes over and I stand up as I wind my way into the pits up towards the start/finish line. It’s been quite a few hours since I made my hurried start here, and it was good to be back.

As I rounded the last corner into the former staging area, it was a long, straight shot to the finish line. I squared up the Liquidator…and FLOORED IT. I let the twin pipes sing, loud and proud. And because most of classes were doing two laps that day, there were actually people there clapping and cheering at the finish line. That was sweet. I didn’t have the energy to do a standing ‘no hander’ so I sat down and just put my arms up in relief…”It’s over, and I finished", on a freaking Liquidator no less...

Luckily Adam was back and captured the moment in a several pic’s. After I crossed the line, he just turned to his father, Bill, and said, “Ok, I am happy now.” Pretty much sums up the day.
Attachments
It's Over!
It's Over!
Last edited by JoeRainville on Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Honorary Tech Editor

jep_800

Post by jep_800 »

Great story Joe, and great ending to little idea that turned into a reality. Seeing a Dator finish a cross country race once again is pretty cool especially for those who were there at the begining and remember when they dominated X-country racing. It would be nice to see Sandberg do a little write-up over at Arctic Insider... just as a tribute to the past.
1975 John Deere 800
1975 JDX8 (VC Finisher 2019)
1976 440 Cyclone (VC Finisher 2022)
1974 El Tigre 440 (Sold)
1996 Arcitc Cat 440Z
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

Thanks Jason. It was worth all the effort just for the nostalgia factor!

After crossing the line, I was so relived I nearly fell off the sled, but I didn’t care. Adam and I had reached our goal of getting a Liquidator across the line. I pulled up to the guys and Bill asked me how I was doing. All I could say was that I needed to be some place warm and I couldn’t feel my hands. He immediately grabbed me and pushed me into the USXC trailer to take off my helmet and gloves and warm up a little. Good idea Bill, as I was pretty much exhausted. Once I had a few minutes to recover we headed over to Adam’s running truck and cranked the seat heaters. I was able to share some of the craziness of the day, a few close ‘almost wipeouts’ and mistakes, but recalled how I never shut off the sled once and only got off the seat for the gas stop. Learning not to crash is a good thing. And it hurts a lot less than going over the bars at 80 mph.

A lot of folks stopped by the truck to say hello, from USCX workers, JDsleds and VS friends, fellow collectors and competitors, etc. I did feel bad that the Liquifire let Adam down, but so far, we are 1 to 1. He finished on her last year, and I finished this year. People did find it funny that my mechanic and I build sleds for each other. I just say, “ya, we are weird like that…”

Rick Dohrn was the first guy to say congrats on FB. Without his son’s help earlier that morning, it would have been much harder for both Adam and I to make to the line. Thanks again Dohrn Racing!

A saw my time posted on line, and went back to the trailer to ask why it was in red. The USXC folks laughed and said that nothing was wrong, I had come in second. I laughed at that, as my time was less than stellar at just over 3 ½ hrs. Turns out it was a ‘comfortable 2nd’ as we used to say in SnoCross, meaning no one else finished behind me. Oh well, I accepted the trophie and the fact that 'attendance award' or not, it was still hard earned. Adam even got one for finishing 3rd. Dave Chambers took 2nd in the Vintage +50 class with his 83 Liquifire, so we had lot of Deere’s on the podium this year. Strangely enough, in the Vintage Class there were only 2 Cats and 3 Deere's entered. Not one Polaris or Ski-Doo this year.
Attachments
Thanks Rick!
Thanks Rick!
Two Seconds and a Third...
Two Seconds and a Third...
Last edited by JoeRainville on Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Honorary Tech Editor

JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

In wrap up, I think I’m glad Adam pushed me to build and race a Liquidator. It not was as easy or nearly as cheap as doing a Liquifire, but definitely more historic and really done as a tribute to honor my ETD hero's. While Adam denies being a “John Deere Guy” he is guilty of racing a Liquifire twice in the I-500, finishing once, and building the I-500 Liquidator from scrap to a beautiful race sled. Thanks buddy, you are a bad influence.

I called out and thanked everyone I could think of that played a part in helping bring the Liquidator back to life on the build thread. Some of the helpers were close friends like Adam, buddies like Brock, or acquaintances or even guys that aren’t real fond of me but hooked me up with needed parts anyway. Thank you all just the same.

Definitely can’t do this without race day support. This year Adam’s dad Bill came out to help and watch his boy race and of course Dustin Erickson drove up again to crew. Thank you both for lending a hand. Especially Dustin for showing up time and time again. In years past Dustin Elder and Todd Strupp (St. Rupp) have volunteered. Thanks guys, hope to see you again. I am also thankful that Dustin and Dillian Dohrn lent a hand before racing their respective Pro and Semi-Pro classes. Thank you.

Originally, it was predicted that Adam and I would receive some negative blow back for building and then racing a real Liquidator. Before I started this year’s race I received a few calls, text and posts to wish me good luck. After I finished, I was overwhelmed with all the congratulations and positive feedback received via Facebook, calls, texts, etc. Nothing negative of the sort happened, and 99.5% of all the feedback has been nothing but positive and supportive. That was nice and appreciated. Thank you is an understatement.

What’s in store for next year? First is to figure out why the darn sled quit on the Vintage Challenge. Motor is fine, looks to have an ignition issue of some sort, so it’s no big deal. Then I am planning to work on tuning with more aggressive clutching and gearing, and maybe a track upgrade. Do hope to see more vintage sleds out there next year, and I get that having the race cancelled and then resumed throws folks off. But only have half a dozen vintage sleds show up was a bummer when there must be 40 to 50 race prepped vintage sleds in garages out there.

In the mean time I hope to get both me and the sleds in better shape for next year. Funny enough, I will actually be old enough to race the +50 class...wow. And I should have the Liquifire ready for Adam, just in case…

-Joe Rainville
#621 Liquidator Racer
2 Time Vintage I-500 Finsher
Attachments
I500 GG 2019 Map.JPG
Last edited by JoeRainville on Mon May 20, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Honorary Tech Editor

WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

I do congratulate you Joe and Adam. Imagine as tired as you were running one lap having to wake up the next 2-3 days to do it over again. DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
340sracer

Post by 340sracer »

:dance: Way to go Joe, enjoyed reading your story.
sledz

Post by sledz »

Yep, thanx for the great read Joe!!
JoeRainville

Re: A Liquidator, Leubner, the I-500 and Me...

Post by JoeRainville »

Thanks guys, I am glad to hear you enjoyed the crazy tail. Adam and I are already making plans and getting ready for next year. First up: getting rid of Satan's Dually, LOL!

Glen, I hope did all you real Dator racers justice by getting that beast across the line. I have even more respect for you guys after racing an updated Liquidator for one day. That 90 pound motor sure likes to keep the front end planted... :canada: :usa:

-Joe
Honorary Tech Editor