76 JD300- first ride of season, early upshift,

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kioritz/CCW & Kohler motors.
grasscutter97

Post by grasscutter97 »

Took it out for about a 15 mile trail run last night, on nice hard pack.

Would a mid range stall, (between 25 to 40mph) be a carb or secondary issue? Engine has about 1000 miles on it since a crank up rebuild, including .020 over pistons, and sals 780 primary was rebuilt too. I also haven't redone the points or timing since the rebuild, could it be a timing issue?

Lastly, when I went to restart after siting for about 5 minutes, engine warm, it took like 20 pulls to get it to fire off, and it smelled real gassy like it was flooding. Plugs were wet. What makes the WDB-31 flood?
400brian

Post by 400brian »

A couple things come to mind;

You could have fuel residue in the carb messing things up, or a bad diaphram allowing fuel to be drawn into the case via the pulse hose.

I'd clean and rebuild the carb, sounds like you have an over-fueling issue.

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

By looking in the Parts Cat. I have to assume your 300 still has points & not CDI??
So If the timing hasn't been Cked/readjusted since reassembly of the lower end?? then yes the timing should be checked/adjusted. You will need a dial indicator, & a buzz box or points timing lite/flash light

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
grasscutter97

Post by grasscutter97 »

Pulled engine over with plugs out and I got the '2 holed fuel geyser'!!

Didn't know the walbro carbs could flood since the engine is above the fuel tank and there is no bowl, like the mikuni's. Anyways, it flooding.

Got a genuine Walbro kit coming from Image.

Which parts cause the flooding? The orange rubber check valve? Needle / seat?

Dug out my buzz box and dial indicator, so looks like I'll be attempting that this weekend. Haven't done points/timing in ages!

Pulling off the secondary as well, to clean it up, putting new cam shoes on (from Image too), so that should hopefully clear up any upshift issues if there are any.

She'll be on the road doing a blistering 50mph in no time. :lol:
JDFanPa

Post by JDFanPa »

Make sure you set the arm on the inlet needle to the correct specs Id bet this is the problem now if its pumping fuel well also dirt rust can keep the needle from sealing.