serial number questions

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
ICCSF 108

serial number questions

Post by ICCSF 108 »

The hack job on the aluminum belly pan that I think you were referring to is pretty common when the aluminum pans were put on, at least on everyone that I have seen which about 5 of them now...

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
JRC ETD

serial number questions

Post by JRC ETD »

Suspension says it was a race setup, not sure on pan holes, no temp gauges with the Crookston race team, there was a Moline 340/s race effort that had team input....what is the 295/s tale? I'll try and flip my 340/s on the wall next time I'm at the lake and get the sn....JRC
340s

serial number questions

Post by 340s »

Hi again everyone,

Man you all have a wealth of information! Thanks a lot for sharing it. When I bought these sleds 'kioritz' gave me a brief rundown of each one but I have forgotten some of the info already. At that time I was more worried about getting the sleds across the border!

I don't think the 340/s original owner would be offended if I were to ask you all if you know him, so I will ask and see if I luck out. His name is Carl Tyler Sr. of Waterloo, IA. Maybe that rings a bell to someone?

With the 295s, it is an original beauty of 1000 miles. If I remember, it was possibly owned by someone higher up and related to JD sleds. Perhaps JRC? The serial indicates it's number 89 off the line if that helps. I hope 'kioritz' and 'TASKY' will fill in the gaps in my story on this sled and maybe I can get a definitive answer as to its origin. Apparently, the 295/s was never registered.

Kenny, I emailed Nunn's Farm equipment in Treherne, MB about the dator I got from 'kioritz' since it has that dealer's black decals on both sides of the dash (in small white lettering). I think TASKY said you owned it at one time. Can you tell me how, where, when you got it by any chance? I'll post a pic of the 295/s and dator so you and JRC can both see the sleds I'm talking about.

Thanks again,
Craig
340s

serial number questions

Post by 340s »

And here's the dator Kenny. You can barely see the Nunn's dealer decal on the side of the dash.

Don, I check the 340/s and get back to you. Will send you a photo of the suspension too once it is out, eventhough it won't be for a while yet.

Thanks,
Craig
JRC ETD

serial number questions

Post by JRC ETD »

There was a 295/s that my father owned that was simply perfect with very low miles, unknown to me and afterward very upset with him my younger brother sold it. My memory would be about 15 years ago, he couldn't remember who it bought it, but assured it was never registered as it would have had a mfg. hard plate on the pan below the bumper (rivited) JRC
340s

serial number questions

Post by 340s »

That really sounds like the description fits this 295/s to me. TASKY and kioritz will be able to confirm though since they know more about it than me. Hopefully they will post a reply soon.

Thanks for replying!
Craig
kioritz

serial number questions

Post by kioritz »

If I remember correctly we picked that up on Hwy.23 (central MN). The gentleman told me(which is what he was told) that it was originally owned by the vice pres. of John Deere. He had also just sold a JD 500?(that I didn't see) with electric start that was supposedly owned by the same person at one time. Jason
ICCSF 108

serial number questions

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Craig, Did Wade ever get ahold of you on where the Dator came from?

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
JRC ETD

serial number questions

Post by JRC ETD »

Yes the 500 and 295/s were sold together, the 500 was Ed Ukelbergs, a retired VP at Deere and my fathers mentor, the 500 was perfect with electric start and almost zero miles. When Ed died the sled was gifted to my father. The 295/s was my Dad's and had the original small tank and aluminum ski's. I have wondered who got them and am personally delighted they have been recovered! Still very unhappy with brother #2. JRC
kioritz

serial number questions

Post by kioritz »

JRC, When I purchased the 295/S it had the steel skis with carbides and only the front tank. It has to be the same sled, though. The gentleman did say the 500 was very nice(as is the 295/S) and I remember the electric start part because he mentioned it a few times. Jason
TASKY

serial number questions

Post by TASKY »

Look a 295/s!!! Yeah right at 50 mph.
To think that I only turned the car around to settle a bet with Fabio. I was wrong. Kioritz got the sled.

The hair on my back stands on end when I read this post. I like when a rumor can be proven or disproved. Almost our own little version of History Detectives (a public television show)

Just the facts man just the facts TASKY
340s

serial number questions

Post by 340s »

Here are a couple of pics. I am not sure what this mfg hard plate looks like. I thought I remembered there being a plate there but i may have been wrong. I had to wait to get some pics of it since it is in my dad's garage and not mine at this moment. Can you guys let me know more about this plate?

Thanks,
Craig
340s

serial number questions

Post by 340s »

here's the serial on this sled jon
340s

serial number questions

Post by 340s »

one more pic. I'd really like to confirm this awesome sled is or isn't a sled from the legendary Carlsons if we can..
75rat

serial number questions

Post by 75rat »

340s wrote: Here are a couple of pics. I am not sure what this mfg hard plate looks like. I thought I remembered there being a plate there but i may have been wrong. I had to wait to get some pics of it since it is in my dad's garage and not mine at this moment. Can you guys let me know more about this plate?

Thanks,
Craig
Craig,

The plate that Jon is refering to might be similar to the ones used on many of the I-500 racers. It covered the hole cut in the belly pan for the 3rd fuel tank. (Check out the photos of Jim Dano's 295/S in the restoration section.) I believe it's also show in the 295/S parts manual.

Jim