Make A Wish Project 340/S kickoff

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
WinnipegStPaul9

Re: Make A Wish Project 340/S kickoff

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

YEA!!!!!
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
clackinator

Post by clackinator »

The teardown is complete. We had perfect weather on Saturday and everything went well. The only tough part of the job was getting the suspension out of the machine. Very corroded bolts! The front arm of the suspension has been modified by having big steel plates welded on to it. We could use a front arm if anyone has one. Also, still in need of a track for the machine. Here is a link to some photos from the day.....

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/22204785
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Clack, the 340/S should have a metal plate welded to the front swing arm std. It should run about 1/2 way down from the pipe down the arms, mine is berried so I can't get a good picture But I'm sure someone has pics.
Also you guys need to know where on the rails it is where they crack so you can ck that good, I'm not quit sure where that is but again someone will have pics of that area & be able to let you guys know what to do in reinforcement procedures.
These suspensions were very heavy from the factory & even heavier after the reinforcements were done to them.
I still haven't located my spare air box but I'll continue to look for it..

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
WinnipegStPaul9

Justin, there are lots of pictures of the suspension, both before and after, on the CD I sent you. Glad things are going well. Don
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
clackinator

Post by clackinator »

Just wanted to update things here a bit. Greg Lahr (Sprocket) has the exhaust completed. From what I am told, he had to cut the end off the dump can and clean it out and secure the inner baffle. Then he welded it back up and will be painting it with high temp paint. We sent him some of Don Amber's resto photos that show the mounting bracket positions for the cradle and retainer. I'm sure the exhaust will turn out great.

Pete Mindermann is working on the suspension. Lots to do on it. Thankfully, Brian400 is going to fix the wheels all up for us with new bearings etc. We still don't have any rear suspension shocks, so if someone has some we would appreciate them.

Lastly, could anyone let me know what other JD sleds the track will cross over from? Was the 76 Liquifier the same? A gentleman called me yesterday and said he has a nice track from a 76 Liquifier that he would donate. Are there any other models that are the same?

Thanks!
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

Justin,

There is an FAQ about Deere track interchanges. But, here is the short reply: yes, a 76 Liquifire track will fit the 340/s.

Generally, all the 74-78 15" X 121" X 2.52" pitch cleated tracks are interchangable (except the 15" X 116" X 2" pitch Spitfire track of course). However, the original Goodyear 15 inch cleat 'bonded' tracks kind of suck. The one you are looking for is the 2/3's or 10" cleat, cleated track that has the cleated rivited. It came out in 77 on the Liquifire, and was used as a replacement track for the earlier sleds. Most of the sleds that came with the bonded on cleats have been updated, but there are still some with the original track out there.

I have all next week off, and I can check the local dismantler to see what he has available. I don't have a spare one to offer you unfortunately.

Good luck!
-Joe Rainville
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
WinnipegStPaul9

Justin, according tothe parts catalog the track part number for a 340/S was AM54583 with subs of AM52784 and AM53708. I then went to the crossover section and put it in AM54583 and here is the list of sleds that track fits (again, according to the JD parts catalog, not my experience)

1415 - JDX4, JDX6, JDX8, 300 and 400 Snowmobiles - 13Oct03
1458 - JD295S Snowmobile - 13Oct03
1479 - JDX4, JDX6, JDX8, 300, 400, 600 and 800 Snowmobiles - 13Oct03
1508 - JD340S Snowmobile - 13Oct03
1517 - Cyclone and Liquifire Snowmobiles - 17Sep03

Anyone else want to verify or deny??

DA

PS: Joe posted just a few minutes before me so his information pretty much verifys mine. If that's the case I know I have a track in my shed. I'll just have to look at it to see what condition it's in.

DA
400brian

Post by 400brian »

I'll refute the '00s. They all had all rubber bogie tracks.

'74-'75 JDXs were sliders.

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Clack, I found that air box it needs a little repair on the top ( about a 1" X 1/16th" slit ) I would say very easily repaired, & it also needs a good cleaning, but everything is there, if you want it let me know where to ship it..

Kenny
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
clackinator

Post by clackinator »

Thanks! that's great. You can ship it to me and I will get it repaired. Also, if you happen to have found the piston rings, I think we will be in need of them as well.

Justin Clack
11499 129th Ave.
Menahga, MN 56464.

Thanks Kenny!
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Clack, I guess it's a little larger than I said after re-looking at it, it's about 1-1/2" X 1/8th" at one edge ( a little across the top & then down the side ) not sure if something on the sled rubbed there or someone ground it?? Either way very fixable.
I'll get it sent out with a complete set of rings tomorrow..

Kenny
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Clack, The airbox & NOS rings went out today, I would appreciate it if for some reason the pistons aren't OEM Deere 340/S & the Rings won't fit, or you don't use the air box for some reason that you email me about it..

Kenny
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Clack, did the airbox & rings show up?

Kenny
clackinator

Post by clackinator »

Kenny, yep I received the air box and rings. Thanks! The rings are on the way to Mercdiver now and I will repair the airbox. I think we have most everything accounted for now in the way of parts. There were just a couple more items that MD was looking for. They are. a double choke cable - 2 carb boots - 2 needle and seats.

For my part of the project I am searching for a front drive as the drivers are pretty chewed up. Also, the brake disk has been broken and welded in the past. I'm trying to find a decent one of those too. Overall, I think things are right on schedule.

He has a couple of carb boots from Dennis Kirk, but would rather have some JD ones for the quality.
WinnipegStPaul9

clackinator wrote:Kenny, yep I received the air box and rings. Thanks! The rings are on the way to Mercdiver now and I will repair the airbox. I think we have most everything accounted for now in the way of parts. There were just a couple more items that MD was looking for. They are. a double choke cable - 2 carb boots - 2 needle and seats.

For my part of the project I am searching for a front drive as the drivers are pretty chewed up. Also, the brake disk has been broken and welded in the past. I'm trying to find a decent one of those too. Overall, I think things are right on schedule.

He has a couple of carb boots from Dennis Kirk, but would rather have some JD ones for the quality.
Justin, even if you could find JD carb boots they'd be 30+ years old. Most guys here prefer to avoid the "old" rubber products. I bought two new carb boots from Pat's Small Engine www.psep.biz for my 340/S. As for "drivers" are you specifically needing drive sprockets? Those shouldn't be too hard to come by. As to the brake disk I'm not sure of the availablity. Anyone?

DA