Make A Wish Project 340/S kickoff

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
400brian

Re: Make A Wish Project 340/S kickoff

Post by 400brian »

There is a "will fit" cap. I think it is an Arctic Kat piece.

Again, an original in good condition, is both rare and expensive.

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Clack & Joe it doesn't look like I have any of the 340/S brake disks left, Sorry I thought I had one..
Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
400brian

Post by 400brian »

Clack

Rainville has a brake rotor, and an early Spitfire cap will fit nicely. I just talked to him, and I think that stuff is yours.
Stay tuned.

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

AH Joe be a good guy & turn loose of at least one of the OEM style " Premium Fuel Only" caps I bet if you dig deep enough in the EBW you'll find at least one??

Kenny
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

clackinator wrote:Sorry guys, I keep coming up with more questions here. I took a screw on gas cap off of a Polaris tank and it does'nt fit the JD tank. The JD opening seems smaller. Do they have a unique sized fuel cap?
I hate to give away my secrets Justin but I went to my local Toro dealer and bought two Toro caps. Naturally they don't say JD or Premium Only or anything like that but they also don't say Toro.
Attachments
020209 001.jpg
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
clackinator

Post by clackinator »

Thanks again for all the info and help! Have most of you guys used aftermarket windshields on the 340/S restorations? Is there a source for these? Does Jeff Haugen make them?

Also, I think it was Kenny who thought Jerome would be willing to rebuild the crank? Does anyone have contact info for him?
clackinator

Post by clackinator »

Forget my question on the contact info on Jerome, I found it here on the site.
THanks
WinnipegStPaul9

clackinator wrote:Thanks again for all the info and help! Have most of you guys used aftermarket windshields on the 340/S restorations? Is there a source for these? Does Jeff Haugen make them?

Also, I think it was Kenny who thought Jerome would be willing to rebuild the crank? Does anyone have contact info for him?
Yes he does. That's his windshield on my 340/S. It won't hurt to ask him about a donation but he said he was unable to help us with the "Charity" sled. I appreciated his explanation that there are getting to be quite few "charity projects" and he wouldn't be able to handle all of them. He has a great product.

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
clackinator

Post by clackinator »

Yep, I just got an email back from Jeff. He is not interested in donating one. So, I hope to find someone that is willing to take on that part of the job. Is there anyone out there that would want to buy the windshield and donate it to the build? If so, please let me know. Our cash donations have dwindled down to about enough money to pay the bodyman for his materials. He is donating his labor. Thanks! Clack
webman

Post by webman »

Guess I helped out the other sled, might as well help with this one also.

I will donate the windshield.
WinnipegStPaul9

That's great, thanks!! DA
clackinator

Post by clackinator »

Thanks Webman! I will try to remember you in my will.

Clack
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Clack what did JRome say about doing the crank??

Kenny
clackinator

Post by clackinator »

Just waiting to hear back from him. I emailed him this morning.
clackinator

Post by clackinator »

Good morning gents. We are in the process of moving to a new house so I am up to my ears in work, but here is an update on this weeks progress....

Don Amber sent me a good left foot rest. Thanks Don! That is going to save me a lot of work. I also received the ski assemblies for the Sportfire charity project and I will be getting to those very soon.

Merc Diver is waiting for word on the crankshaft rebuilding. I had emailed Jerome and asked about the project, but I have not heard back from him. It is possible he is on vacation so I hope to hear from him soon.

Someone had volunteered an engine gasket kit also. Without doing a major search of all the threads regarding the project, I just thought I would throw it out there again and say we could really use that. I believe the carb boot search is over and everything is on track with most other items.

We are still hoping for a gas cap, brake rotor and drivers for the front shaft. I hope to get some time to get some photos of the body work progress this week. Our closing on the house is August 3rd, so after that, I should have a bit more time!

Thanks again to Don and others for all the help. This is truly a group effort and I am proud to be involved with it!