2010 Vintage Challange Ride with the Champs

400brian

Re: 2010 Vintage Challange Ride with the Champs

Post by 400brian »

I think that was a poor choice of words on Joe's part. :bonk:

I don't believe Joe has ridden with Don, I have, and I'm confident it was no slow ride! :lol22:

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
JDGuy

Post by JDGuy »

Wow, Joe Rainville published my age…..but that is not a problem, I am well aware that I am an old guy. And Thanks Joe for the NOS ski springs you sold me, they got a good work out on about the last 15 miles or so of mogually trail. What got my attention on last years ride is that my son who made the trip had a few years on the average age of the group. That told me I am an old guy. He and I have probably rode well over 14,000 miles together over the years, the two of us and us with others. Last year was great, as we had not rode together for several years. The reason for that was most likely due to his wife clamping down a bit after a rider in our group on a Wildcat went into the trees at about 85+ mph, around 2:00 AM, after a bar closing (yes, booze can get you in trouble) in Michigan’s Northern most desolate location of the UP. Our friend lost one leg and nearly bled to death, the only part of his sled you could brand identify was the snow flap, “Arctic Cat”. A note to Kenny, if I can do it, a young I-500 racer like you will have no problem. We just have to make sure Don Amber makes the trip with us as you never know when us old guys may need a paramedic, LOL.
Last edited by JDGuy on Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Rowland

Post by Tom Rowland »

Hey guys, I am doing a little brain-storming on the gasoline issue and need your opinions...
1. What is going to be an average M.P.G. for the average sleds in our group? Speaking for my own sled (340cc Cross Country Cat liquid) I probably only can run around 10 M.P.G., I guess I really was not paying attention? I think I have about 8 gallons on board combining both fuel tanks.
2. How often should we plan a fuel stop? Every 40 miles? 50? 60?
3. I am trying to estimate how many gallons of gas our group might consume. I know that will be directly related to the number of sleds participating but we can likely plan on at least 50, do you agree?
Give me your thoughts.
Tom
Matt

Post by Matt »

For the guys who may be new to this: I have Loren's blessing to put together an information page specifically about the vintage challenge part of the event. I'm going to gather up all the info I can from the old posts and new ones so you can find out all you need to know in one spot.
:usa: Matt - JDsleds.com Administrator
Tom Rowland

Post by Tom Rowland »

That will be great Matt, easier for all involved. When will it be up? Shall we continue to gather input and ideas here? Tom.
R Rimko

Post by R Rimko »

HI guys Kind of new on here. After reading about this last year cant wait to give it try. Will probably be riding my 6000 Cat because everything is fresh from last year. But i do have a 80 Liquifire & 82 spitfire and if time allowes will try and get the liquifire done. Already made reservations at the White Tail . Hope to meet some of you there. Thanks Rod from Pa.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Tom Rowland wrote:That will be great Matt, easier for all involved. When will it be up? Shall we continue to gather input and ideas here? Tom.
Keep doing what you're doing. Ideas & planning can be done here. Final information can be posted there.
HoosierDeereMan

Post by HoosierDeereMan »

I had a 10 gallon tank on the 340/S. I had marked it off in gallon increments so I would know how much gas would be needed at the fuel stops. I was running very rich. At the first gas stop of roughly 43 miles I had drank a whopping 7 gallons. That figures out to about 6 miles to the gallon. I also did some pretty hard running between Jon Carlson and Brian Nelson trying to catch the group after dropping the needles on the trail.

Troy
'72 400
'73 400, (2)500's, 600
'74 295/S (restored) 2010 HOF poker run survivor.
'75 800, JDX8,
'75 340/S 2011 & 2012 Vintage Challenge finisher.
'76 (2)400's
'78 Liquifire 340,440
'79 Spitfire
"If it has Tits, Tires, or Tracks it's gonna cost you money!"
JoeRainville

Post by JoeRainville »

Hey Guys,

Don, I really REALLY ment to say "shorter ride", LOL! The point I was trying to make was that there is another vintage ride available if 150 miles seems to a be a bit much.

Rod, no matter what sled you have, come join the ride. We had lots of Cat's, Polaris' and whole bunch of John Deere's last time.

As far as milage, I only put about 3.5 gallons in my sled at the first gas stop. I gave Todd Myers (Stymie) the rest of my 5 gallon can, and it filled his 76 440 Cyclone! I probably ended up using about 10 gallons between the three gas stops, and was about 1/2 tank when we got back to the hotel. I know JRC's Dator was drinking the fuel down, but Troy probably got the bad milage award!

-Rainville

PS: Guy, I really hope I live to be your age, and am half as tough as you are! Darn nice job riding last year!
Last edited by JoeRainville on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honorary Tech Editor

Chuck Norris doesn't get frost bite. He bites the frost.
Tom Rowland

Post by Tom Rowland »

Here is an opportunity for us to think about...I just checked with a local gasoline company near St Germain and they have this to offer...They have a portable 800 gallon fuel tank on wheels that we can use free of charge if we buy the gasoline from them. It has a 12 volt pump on it and a meter. They say it is easily towed with any pickup truck at highway speeds. This could be a solution for solving the "where" and "when" we need to get our gasoline. We could designate a pickup and driver to top us off at designated places on the way up, the half way point, and wherever we see fit for the return trip. Not sure how we would handle the payment as we each are filling from the tank multiple times during the ride? Might work if one of us buys the tank full of gas and then have each sled # (if we were to number our sleds) on a clipboard and record the gallons used at each fill up? Everyone could pay-up Saturday night? Maybe mark the gasoiline up 10 cents a-gallon-or-so, so as not to leave the guy that had to buy the 800 gallons short at the end of the event? The pickup towing the gasoline could have 10-20 gas cans in the back to use for mixing, could also carry each riders personal oil? If this were to be planned upon we need to verbally reserve the trailer sometime soon, they only have one. What do you think? Any other ideas? Tom.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Tom, did you happen to ask if they would put pre-mix in it to save on the mixing time?
Tom Rowland

Post by Tom Rowland »

I gather that if we were all in agreement on the mixture ratio, that could be arranged. Tom.
pjr

Post by pjr »

I spoke to DA today on the phone and I think I may be able to help in this area if anyone needs me...

I had already planned on coming to this JD Sled event this year with DA and Bob, where me and my newly-built Hot Rod Liquifire were going to tag along with them in their truck/trailer. While I do plan on riding my sled with you guy's during this event, I really hadn't planned on running the 170-mile "pseudo race", because my lower back (L4 and L5 discs) just can't handle the beating it takes on the vintage sled suspensions...

However, I would be able to ride along with you guys on this 170-mile trip as a "trail support guy" riding my wife's nice, plush, 1996 Yamaha VT500 Venture 2-up machine if you need me to. That sucker has a liquid cooled, reed-valved, 2-stroke mota, over 11 inches of rear travel and 9 inches in the front, electrically heated EVERYTHING, electric start, reverse, a HUGE gas tank, etc. etc. etc.... Riding that thing is like riding a luxurious high-powered couch and my lower back likey!! (similare picture of this sled we have below) I can carry whatever parts, tools, gas, tow ropes or whatever is needed for the trail for whomever needs it, "just in case" and it even has provisions for GPS/cell phone connections...

If you guys' can let me know now for sure, I can make arrangements with DA and Bob, where I would just drive my own truck/3-place trailer to haul my crap over there.

What do you all think?

PJ
Attachments
ventur72.jpg
400brian

Post by 400brian »

Bring a tow rope, a gas can, and a good sense of humor PJ, Amber will be up to something at all times. :beers;

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
pjr

Post by pjr »

Hahahaha, you're right on there!! :laugh: