1980 spitfire ?

Technical topics related to machines powered by Kasasaki motors
3JDTIM

1980 spitfire ?

Post by 3JDTIM »

my son just bought a spitefire and the guy he got it from said it would burn up the drive belt real fast
ICCSF 108

Re: 1980 spitfire ?

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Might be a Clutch alignment issue, or there could be a front shaft bearing going out..

Ken
Last edited by ICCSF 108 on Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
3JDTIM

Post by 3JDTIM »

after checking the clutch buttons they are thin! would that maybe cause this? he is 9 and worked all summer 2 buy it i have 2 get it goin 4 him so any info u could send my way would b great. by the way how fast are these sleds ?
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

3JDTIM wrote:after checking the clutch buttons they are thin! would that maybe cause this?
by the way how fast are these sleds ?
What clutch buttons are you talking about Drive or driven? IF drive yes it could be, if driven no not really, unless the movable face is riding on the cam ( alum on alum ) BUT they should be replaced if they are thin.
Speed will depend on which drive sprockets it has on it the 7 tooth or optional 8 tooth & how much your son weights, but probably not much over 40-45 MPH.
But they are a blast to drive..

Make sure you CK the front shaft bearings as these have a tendency to go bad, When they do they most of the time take the front shaft out also.. This might be your problem, as if they go bad they would probably make the brake stick also which could be why it's hard on belts.. Or it also could have wheels out on the suspension, to make it reliable for the winter it would be a good idea to pull the suspension & ck everything over good..

Ken
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
3JDTIM

Post by 3JDTIM »

bearings are good. they seam tight anyways i found the problem they had wrong belt on it i think its spose 2 b a 1107 right?
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

A OEM M68715 belt should be 47.0" +/- .25 X 1.25" An 1107 is 47-1/8" X 1.25" So Yes I would say a new or very good 1107 should work.

Ken
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Also make sure they didn't put spacers behind the bolt & big washer that holds the driven on to the drive shaft, this would space the driven out & make the sled start like in second gear.. the correct belt should ride right at the top of the driven when the sled is setting.

Ken
3JDTIM

Post by 3JDTIM »

ok i got one on there had one laying around 4 once that looks alot better we got alot of work before we can test it out
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

You might want pop the cover off the drive clutch ( If it's still a 94C Comet Duster ) to make sure they didn't melt the pucks..

Ken
3JDTIM

Post by 3JDTIM »

its still a 94 c after i get the cover off where are the pucks?
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

Right under the cover, the 94C only has a spring & 9 pucks.

Ken
3JDTIM

Post by 3JDTIM »

they apear 2 b ok
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

You would be able to tell if they are melted as the edges are usually rolled or flattened out over the actual sides of the puck, where they come in contact with the cover..

Kenny
big danno 1970

Post by big danno 1970 »

Probably a good time to do crank seals as well just so you dont burn up the engine very easy to do on that engine and is worth the piece of mind.
3JDTIM

Post by 3JDTIM »

yea ive got some found just waitn 2 get them i dont know how 2 put them in but i goin 2 find out how often do they need replaced?