liquifire questions/opinions needed

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
lpjoe

liquifire questions/opinions needed

Post by lpjoe »

Being new to the JD sleds world. I got my 80 liquifire less than two weeks ago, i am contemplating replacing the head gaskets since now that i have it running I have noticed a bit of coolant leakage from the heads at the gasket line.

AND, since I am into it any way I may as well replace the crank seals at the same time. since the sled hasnt been run for at least 5 years before I bought it, and many posts have been made recommending thier replacement.

Questions:
1. will the motor need to be removed to swap out the crank seals?
2. Will the crank case need to be split " " " " " " ?

and ,
3. opinions on the winderosa gasket set from Dennis Kirk? Good, bad, run like hell from them? :shifty:

thanks all!

Joe
lwb140

Re: liquifire questions/opinions needed

Post by lwb140 »

yes replace them, yes the motor has to come out ive gotten along fine with winderosa stuff but many havent check your heads if they are leaking externally there are tons of heads laying around as people tend to gravitate toward invader heads for more compression be sure to torque them properly too !! oh ya and the case has to be split ...and there is an oil pump gear that is pressed on that will need to be pressed off and put back on, oh ya and pay attention to the thrust washers as to where they came from ,they need to go back correctly !! wade :sled:
certificate recipiant of the 12 vintage challenge !! on a 78 liquifre 440,
certificate recipiant of the 13 vintage challenge !! on a 340/s
certificate recipient of the 14 vintage challenge !! on a 78 liquifire 440
joe forgot the certificates for the 2015 vintage challenge
crossed the start/finish line twice at the 2013 and 2014 I500 on a 78 liquifire 440