JD helmet lining

General topics related to John Deere Snowmobiles
T White

JD helmet lining

Post by T White »

Hi Guys,

I picked up a JD helmet at ST. Germain last weekend. It's really nice except the lining has detached
itself from the inside of the helmet. Does anybody have any ideas on the best way to fasten the liner
back to the inside of the helmet. Thanks.

Tom
WinnipegStPaul9

Re: JD helmet lining

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

Tom, I've got a similar problem with my helmet. Here's something you should try. Get a can of 3M spray on adhesive (sorry I can't remember the part name). Place the lining on your head just like it would go in the helmet. Spray the top side then put the helmet on.

PS: Let me know how it works.... :beers;

DA
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
ICCSF 108

Post by ICCSF 108 »

If the spray doesn't work I bet the yellow 3M weather strip adhesive in the tube will..

Kenny
AKA: Kenny, Grumpy, Mr. Richard Head
"I Hunt For it, Purchase it, Haul it, Sometimes Repair it, Sometimes Break it, Then Fix it Again, Label it, Warehouse it, Talk About it, So NOW, HOW Can I Take Any Less $$ For It?"
"God I love the smell of KLOTZ in the morning, That smell, you know that Gasoline/Oil Smell, MAKES the whole place SMELL like.. LIKE VICTORY. You know someday the 2 strokers are gonna end..."
Do Anti-War Protesters have reunions? If so what do they TALK about?
T White

Post by T White »

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll let you know how I make out.

Tom
AirborneX4Special

Post by AirborneX4Special »

I've used the 3M stuff to install tractor cab foam headliner kits and it's very strong and adheres quickly. You may not need very much to make a helmet liner stick. The old cab foam disintegrates with age and the outer cover, while still serviceable, will not stick to the junk foam because it constantly degrades. Hopefully the helmet foam is sturdy enough yet and you can have a good base for gluing.

Pat
78440liquid

Post by 78440liquid »

Don: That suggestion is too fuuny. I have this mental picture of a non-removable helmet in my head. Joel :)
400brian

Post by 400brian »

Good one Don!

My mother's '72 helmet is in great condition, but every time the wife wears it, the dust that used to be the foam, comes out through the lining.

On my helmets, where the foam is completely gone, ( lining still intact ) I wear a Carhartt fleece beanie under the helmet to make it fit snug.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/139164/ ... 1-Headwear

'09 Vintage Challenge Survivor, and I wasn't late for supper!
'10, '11, '12, '13,'14,'15,'16,'17, '18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Vintage Challenge Survivor !
72 400 restored, Father bought new in '71
73 X8 restored
'74 340 green machine
'74 X8 9 time VC finisher
'78 Spitfire in progress
2 '75 340S 1 running, one on deck
'78 LF 440 future CC clone
'73 Skiroule RTX 440, 500 mi.
WinnipegStPaul9

Post by WinnipegStPaul9 »

78440liquid wrote:Don: That suggestion is too fuuny. I have this mental picture of a non-removable helmet in my head. Joel :)
Joel, I was afraid I was being taken seriously for a little while....thanks for the post :dance:
Feel free to check out our website www.buscobullet.com for restorations or parts.
lpjoe

Post by lpjoe »

I think the product you are looking for is called "super 77" by 3M I use it all the time for my scrollsaw work.

To get the best bond, spray a fair coat on both surfaces to be joined and let them air for a moment or two before joining them. make sure you get things in the right place or you will play hell trying to separate them afterwards.

Joe
AirborneX4Special

Post by AirborneX4Special »

Super 77 is correct.